Cardinals Will Play In Mexico City For 2022 Game

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Cardinals Will Play In Mexico City For 2022 Game​

The Cardinals are again scheduled to play a regular-season game in Mexico City, the NFL announced Monday, after a planned game there in 2020 was cancelled because of the pandemic.

The opponent, date, and time are yet to be announced, but it will be played at Estadio Azteca -- the same place the Cardinals "hosted" a game in 2005 in the first NFL regular-season game outside the United States.

While the 2020 game was a necessary concession after the Valley and State Farm Stadium were awarded the Super Bowl after the 2022 season, the NFL no longer requires teams that host Super Bowls to give up a home game for an international date. However, as part of the league's expansion to a 17-game regular season, teams now have a requirement to play at least one neutral-site game internationally on a rotating basis.

The Cardinals still have eight home games and eight regular road games this season.

Whomever the Cardinals play in Mexico, it will come from the team's 2022 home opponents: Seahawks, 49ers, Rams, Chiefs, Chargers, Buccaneers, Saints, Eagles and Patriots.

The last time the Cards played in Mexico, they beat the 49ers, 31-14, in front of a then-NFL record crowd of 103,467.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, we're already paid up for next season and we just lost one home game. SMH.

Oh well, maybe we'll play better in another country than we do at home anyway.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I'm guessing Chargers or Rams. Maybe Niners or Chiefs since it will be in primetime but probably an LA squad.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
this is just another reason I will not be renewing next year. They already charged us for this game and they damn well knew this was going to happen. I’m furious at how this team treats fans now.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
this is just another reason I will not be renewing next year. They already charged us for this game and they damn well knew this was going to happen. I’m furious at how this team treats fans now.

I assume season ticket holders still have entry to the game? They just have the extra cost of travel to Mexico?