Cardinals Trade for RB Kenyan Drake

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by azcardsfan1616, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 Skeptical

A couple things.

Yes, they got to try before they bought, and it will now cost them more if not too much. If you really believed in the fit, they would have traded and signed with some sort of extension.

Yes, on a better roster they could have a better chance at adding comp picks, but not in an offseason where their plan is to sign multiple high-dollar FA players. Because their plan was to sign some high dollar players, Drake will likely get washed out of the comp pick formula.

2. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 Skeptical

No. Your own FA signings offset the players you lose. The plan this offseason was to sign a bunch of FAs to bolster the roster. That will cancel out any loss of Drake.

daves likes this.
  3. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 Skeptical

It is interesting that you follow up a valid reason why you liked the move with a personal attack. It is ok that I didn't like the move because I felt that it was short-sighted and you liked the move because you felt it was more important to win games even if they didn't matter. This board would be a lot more civil and discussions would be more productive if people just backed their differing opinions with legitimate arguments and felt secure enough in them to not feel attacked...but that is just my opinion. You can hold onto your statement that I hate the Cardinals and love losing.

GuernseyCard and slanidrac16 like this.
  4. football karma

football karma Happy in the pretense of knowledge

yes

but I also think there is something to be said to try to make life easier for your rookie HC and QB at the same time --

5. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

man... that's way too much. big overpay where I don't think the market dictates that. I mean, Mark Ingram got 3 years 15 million last year and we'd be offering more, accounting for increase in cap... for a guy who's done ways less than Ingram. I'd offer 4 years 20 million and go as high as 4/24. otherwise, invest in the O-line and see who else is out there.

daves likes this.
  6. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

this is BS and ANOTHER personal attack by you because you totally twisted his words to begin with and then doubled down with this projection. Please show me ANYWHERE DAVES SAID "IT WAS MORE IMPORTANT TO WIN GAMES THAT DIDN'T MATTER".

What he ACTUALLY said was (and you should know this because YOU quoted him):

"I think a 5th or 6th round pick is not much to give up for the opportunity for Kingsbury to develop a balanced offense in his rookie season and learn what works and what doesn't when the team has a viable starting RB, and for Kyler to avoid having to run or throw for his life on every play in his rookie year, potentially stunting his development. Those things carry over into 2020 and future seasons."

Dave is CLEARLY saying he liked the move because it was about helping Kyler development as a rookie last season, something that would help in the future get his bearings in the league and provide hope for next year. And in fact, he never even says that needed to get WINS. Literally, NEVER talks wins... just Kyler's progression and development in year 1 that could propel him forward into year 2.

POT MEET KETTLE... YOU'RE BLACK.

His statement "That you hate the Cardinals and love losing" was a sarcastic retort throwing you the same projected argument twisting crap that you initially did (as evidenced above). Crying the victim after he ribbed you by doing exactly the same thing back to you either makes you in serious denial about the argument you projected on to Dave or just a hypocrite.

daves likes this.
  7. daves

daves Keepin' it real! Contributor

I was about to respond to Chris myself, but couldn't have said it better than Cheese.

Chopper, if you sincerely didn't realize that my comment as a facetious way to show you how unwarranted and unconstructive your own comment was, I apologize.

...dbs

8. Veer

Veer Registered

The more I think about it, my guess is that no team will come close to breaking the bank for Drake. He didn't do anything in 3.5 years. Then explodes in a non-conventional offense with a running threat at QB. He has always been a homerun hitter for sure, but even back to his college days he's never been a volume rusher. Solid but not great hands. Not really a route runner. He's never been asked to pass protect regularly. Not really powerful enough to blow through tackle attempts. There might not be a better fit for Drake than with KK/KM, and I highly doubt he will get money the Cards can't match. Tevin Coleman money is a good measurement imo.

daves likes this.
  9. juza76

juza76 Registered

Was graded very well blocking, for sure light years better then dj
    He has reliable hands by the way, he had always good stats in receiving yards

daves likes this.
  10. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 Skeptical

How do you twist my statement that I respected his argument that he liked the move because it helped the team win games as a negative? Did those games matter? Ultimately no, but his argument is that the momentum carried into the off-season was also valuable. I don't necessarily agree with that belief, but I also stated that it was a valid argument.

Honestly, I don't think Dave needs you to try and cape up for him. He seems to do a great job for himself.

In terms of my "crying victim"...read into it as you want. To clarify, if we want to discuss board semantics, IMO Dave's argument is best as is...

"I think a 5th or 6th round pick is not much to give up for the opportunity for Kingsbury to develop a balanced offense in his rookie season and learn what works and what doesn't when the team has a viable starting RB, and for Kyler to avoid having to run or throw for his life on every play in his rookie year, potentially stunting his development. Those things carry over into 2020 and future seasons. It was also worthwhile for the team to be watchable and for the players and fans to have hope going into 2020.

...dbs"

I will admit that I contradicted this statement with my follow up. It was probably best as this...

"We can agree to disagree"

11. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 Skeptical

You are good. I saw what you were doing and doubled down on it. I think you a valid argument even if I don't necessarily agree with it.

daves likes this.
  12. MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease Moderator Contributor

This is true. Ingram signed for for about $5M per year.

However remember that Ingram(31) is 6 years older than Drake(25). In RB years that makes Ingram actually 93 years old.

In reality I think Drake will sign for around $5-7M per year but I wouldn't cry if it took $8M to sign him.

Watch his Cardinals highlights (May need to copy and paste link to view it). He was made for this offense:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000001095029/Kenyan-Drake-highlights-2019-season

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Jetstream Green and daves like this.
  13. MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease Moderator Contributor

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-the-trajectory-of-his-family-in-free-agency/

14. Ronin

Ronin Registered

scott bordow (@sbordow)
    2/25/20, 9:34 AM
    Kingsbury said Cardinals would love Kenyan Drake back but added “we’ll see where it goes.” Drake is free agent

15. Ronin

Ronin Registered

Josh Weinfuss (@joshweinfuss)
    2/25/20, 12:28 PM
    Both Kliff Kingsbury and Steve Keim made it clear today at the combinet that they want Kenyan Drake back but neither know what the market will hold for Drake.

"I think he’s a perfect fit for our offense,” Kingsbury said.