Cardinals sign CB Daryl Worley and OL Marcus Henry

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
PFF ranks Cardinals as #12 line in NFL. Even it #12 is right, it is not good enough. Rams have a better DL and guess what they needed a #1 CB and went and made it happen with Ramsey no?
So? The current Cardinals DL hasn't played a snap together. Hard to rank a group that has never played together.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Any reason we're not bringing back Kirkpatrick? Who is starting ahead of him at the outside, other than Butler? Even if you prefer Murphy, our CB situation is laughable.
Because Kirkpatrick was awful last year. Dennard was better than Kirkpatrick last year as was Murphy.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So? The current Cardinals DL hasn't played a snap together. Hard to rank a group that has never played together.
Based on your logic, isn't a lack of atleast one #1 CB a serious concern if DL hasn't played a snap?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The point is Cardinals don't have a two #1s. Not even one #1 CB. Instead of finding another #1 or #2, why does this team another 4th or 5th?

They think they do. I think they do.

Alford is better than Kirkpatrick if he's healthy. Butler has been better than P2 the last 2 years.

Fans have been falsely reassured by P2s past rep for years. He hasn't been good since 2018. Now he's gone some fans are stressing about losing him, but we lost him years ago.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They think they do. I think they do.

Alford is better than Kirkpatrick if he's healthy. Butler has been better than P2 the last 2 years.

Fans have been falsely reassured by P2s past rep for years. He hasn't been good since 2018. Now he's gone some fans are stressing about losing him, but we lost him years ago.

Alford was one of the worst CBs in the league the year we signed him. Then missed two entire seasons and is now 33 years old. At this point, counting on him to be as good (or bad) as Kirkpatrick is based on nothing.

none of that has anything to do with Peterson sucking rocks the last couple years. He’s been overrated on this board for three years and counting and I’m glad he’s gone.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I posted incorrectly. Worley actually ranks 44th in the list of FA rankings still available. 7th in best available CBs

You must be registered for see images attach

Of those 7..

Sherman is under arrest

Robey Coleman and Hayden are slots. Prince Amukamara couldn't get off our PS ahead of Jonathan Joseph, Bausby and Jace Whittaker and is almost certainly cooked.

So in reality it's only Gareon Conley and Josh Norman ahead of him. Norman isn't signing to be 5th CB on vet min and that Spiderman pointing GIF was created for Conley and Worley. They might be the same person.

So really you just proved we signed the best available depth outside CB.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Alford was one of the worst CBs in the league the year we signed him. Then missed two entire seasons and is now 33 years old. At this point, counting on him to be as good (or bad) as Kirkpatrick is based on nothing.

none of that has anything to do with Peterson sucking rocks the last couple years. He’s been overrated on this board for three years and counting and I’m glad he’s gone.

Alford had a 54 PFF grade in 2018. Poor but it won't be one of the worst. Kirkpatrick last year had a 49 grade.

And Alford said he played injured that year. He had a 73.4 grade the year before.

He wouldn't be my 1st choice as CB2 but then I don't think he is. It could well be Murphy. Or anyone else on the roster including the rookies and Dennard.

I see it as wide open and if Alford wins it he earned it.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Alford had a 54 PFF grade in 2018. Poor but it won't be one of the worst. Kirkpatrick last year had a 49 grade.

And Alford said he played injured that year. He had a 73.4 grade the year before.

He wouldn't be my 1st choice as CB2 but then I don't think he is. It could well be Murphy. Or anyone else on the roster including the rookies and Dennard.

I see it as wide open and if Alford wins it he earned it.
So he's actually been hurt for 3 straight seasons? Doesn't exactly inspire the confidence you think it does. I'll give him at least a push with Kirkpatrick, but neither should be anywhere near a starting CB spot in the NFL at this point.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

In my mind I'm counting on Alford for NOTHING.

Butler, Dennard, Murphy, Wilson/Gowan/Worley, isn't a terrible CB group. It's not, but it's also not good either.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my mind I'm counting on Alford for NOTHING.

Butler, Dennard, Murphy, Wilson/Gowan/Worley, isn't a terrible CB group. It's not, but it's also not good either.

It might not be terrible but it’s a bad unit. It’s got one legit #2 CB with Butler an okay slot guy who couldn’t beat out Kirkpatrick to start at the 2 last year and then flotsam and jetsam with career nothings or late round draft picks, taken by a guy who sucks at the draft. Quantity doesn’t = quality. Or even mediocre quality. That unit is easily the weakest link on the team and it’s not close.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Because Kirkpatrick was awful last year. Dennard was better than Kirkpatrick last year as was Murphy.
LOL, Dennard? He lost out on a starting job several times to Kirkpatrick for the Bengals, and he mostly plays in the slot.

The team this spring said Murphy is a slot corner, so not sure why you're bringing him up.

Kirkpatrick isn't good - but he's better as an outside corner than the rest of the corners we have, and our depth is pitiful.

If the plan is really to rely heavily on Alford, that's just incredible.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It might not be terrible but it’s a bad unit. It’s got one legit #2 CB with Butler an okay slot guy who couldn’t beat out Kirkpatrick to start at the 2 last year and then flotsam and jetsam with career nothings or late round draft picks, taken by a guy who sucks at the draft. Quantity doesn’t = quality. Or even mediocre quality. That unit is easily the weakest link on the team and it’s not close.

I think the plan is to try and develop the younger guys and reset the position in the future.

The front seven will have to be really good for the Cardinals defense to be good, that's for certain.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Help me out guys. Is this the same Dallas CB which allowed Kirk to beat him deep on that one score? I live in SA which is Cowboy country and a common denominator every time a team burned their defense deep was a CB for them with a 'W' starting his last name... don't tell me it's that guy lol

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the plan is to try and develop the younger guys and reset the position in the future.

The front seven will have to be really good for the Cardinals defense to be good, that's for certain.

that sounds like a pretty weak plan to me in an "All In!" year. Especially when we had cap room to make that unit a better band-aid than the leaking sieve I believe it to be now.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Help me out guys. Is this the same Dallas CB which allowed Kirk to beat him deep on that one score? I live in SA which is Cowboy country and a common denominator every time a team burned their defense deep was a CB for them with a 'W' starting his last name... don't tell me it's that guy lol

This must be to help Kirk's confidence!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
It's him.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I think it’s funny how people use PFF as the be all, end all when it comes to how they rate a players signing.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I think it’s funny how people use PFF as the be all, end all when it comes to how they rate a players signing.
To be fair, on the soccer board I am on they frequently bring up FIFA ratings for the random guys being talked about in transfer news. At least no one is bringing up Madden scores when evaluating signings.

In case anyone was curious, Worley was rated a 75 in Madden 21. Alford was only a 73.. so Worley is definitely better than Alford.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Nobody uses it as the be all and end all. But when comparing players it's a quick and easy to retrieve metric.

I wouldn't say Kirkpatrick at 49 was definitely worse than Alfords last season at 54, but it's safe to say Kirkpatrick was at least as bad.

The thing that annoys me the most about when people use PFF numbers is that for some a player is only ever as good as their last season. You see fans all the time saying "he sucked last year, he only had a 52 PFF grade" when he had 75 the 3 previous seasons. There's never any context about scheme changes, or overall defensive unit decline, new coordinators etc

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between Alford at CB2 and the long line of scrubs we have had at CB2 for the last several years? Bethel, Williams, Markus Cooper, Kirkpatrick etc

The only difference to me is that in the past some fans were comforted by the fact we had P2 on the other side. As if P2 was 1.5 players so it didn;t matter we had 0.5 across from him. Apart from the obvious flaw in that P2 has been 0.5 of himself since 2018.

While I don't think this is a great CB room (unless the rookies surprise) I also don't think it's any worse than Kirkpatrick and P2, and people keep telling me last years defense was decent.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between Alford at CB2 and the long line of scrubs we have had at CB2 for the last several years? Bethel, Williams, Markus Cooper, Kirkpatrick etc

The only difference to me is that in the past some fans were comforted by the fact we had P2 on the other side. As if P2 was 1.5 players so it didn;t matter we had 0.5 across from him. Apart from the obvious flaw in that P2 has been 0.5 of himself since 2018.

While I don't think this is a great CB room (unless the rookies surprise) I also don't think it's any worse than Kirkpatrick and P2, and people keep telling me last years defense was decent.

For me the big thing with Alford is he can't be counted on, he was out injured 2 straight seasons, played injured (and poorly) the season prior--is now 4 years removed from his last good season. We have no idea what we will get from him or even if he will make it out of training camp. If he has a bounce back year I am sure we will all be happy but I just don't know who has faith in that happening.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For me the big thing with Alford is he can't be counted on, he was out injured 2 straight seasons, played injured (and poorly) the season prior--is now 4 years removed from his last good season. We have no idea what we will get from him or even if he will make it out of training camp. If he has a bounce back year I am sure we will all be happy but I just don't know who has faith in that happening.

I agree, but we have several other CB's to take over who are no worse than some of the trash we put out there before.

I personally think Murphy should be moved out there. If he can't play outside then he was a massive waste of a pick at #33. The highest drafted slot in the league, likely the highest ever. A major waste of a pick for what is an average slot CB when there was a bunch of talent left on the board.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave