Cardinals' Roster Prediction V.2

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Today was the first time I was able to do a close watching of the game tape. Therefore, I have several additional observations to share.

My predictions are what I believe the Cardinals will do. At the end, for those who are curious, I will add in what I would do.

First of all---as an overview of the game, I was very impressed with how organized the Cardinals were in all three phases. Coach Whiz and his staff deserve a lot of credit for getting the team this organized in such a short amount of time.

I also believe that because of the shortened preparation---the Cardinals gave us a pretty clear idea of what the roster will be---the pecking orders seemed very well thought out for this game.

QB (3): 4-Kolb; 19-Skelton; 2-Bartel.

What impressed me the most about Kolb were his quick feet. He can scoot.

What impressed me the most about Skelton were his footwork, his poise and his throwing accuracy. Working mostly from behind the center, Skelton's three and five step drops were tidy, smooth and efficient. And I love that he throws equally as accurate to his left---it's one of the reasons why we saw so many drops in his 4 games as starter---most of them came to Skelton's left where he actually led the WRs, after they had grown so used to being thrown behind.

What impressed me most about Bartel is his play action skill. He sells it very well, as he did when he threw the long pass back to his left to DeMarco Sampson. Bartel also did a very nice job reading zone in the red zone on his perfect TD pass to Rob Housler, Dems' new hearthrob.

And then there's Max---and to do what he did with the 3rd o-line (who played beautifully in sync and with bounce---led by C Kris O'Dowd and RT Jason Speredon). I love the tempo and love the decisive way Max took what the defense gave him. I love that we won this game---and I am very happy with how Max delivered the win in the clutch.

However, I think the coaches will keep Bartel---because he gives the team a more normal look as the scout team QB. This is always a factor for #3 QBs---and Bartel looks, acts and plays quite a lot like Brian St. Pierre, whom Whiz loved running the scout teams.

RB (3): 34-Williams; 36-Stephens-Howling; 26-Wells.

Williams and LSH clearly outran and out performed Wells---and because they are nifty pass receivers (great 23 yard downfield catch by Williams on Skelton's roll out)---they likely will be used more regularly than Wells. If you saw the Bickley interview---I think he's right---Wells may never be a fit in this offense.

LSH was outstanding in this game. The great run he had over Deuce that was called back---watch it gain---Deuce made a textbook block and subsequent pancake of his man, and his hands were inside the numbers. It was not a holding penalty at all.

What Williams and LSH have more of that Beanie lacks: the ability to make defenders miss---and this has been one of Whiz's focuses this year---THT wasn't great at it either, although he would power his way for extra yards..

Alphonso "Alfredo" Smith has a legitimate shot to make the roster if he starts to excel on STs. For now he's still PS eligible---so that's where he remains.

I think there is a 50/50 chance that Wells will be traded before Week 1. See my moves to see where I have him going.

FB (1): 35-Sherman.

Did you see Sherman nail Denarius Moore on the kickoff following the Housler TD?

Sherman is the total package FB Whiz has been wanting since he missed out on signing John Kuhn (GB).

Reagan Maui'a has made progress but he's not nearly the ST's player Sherman is. And it makes no sense to keep 2 FBs...especially when Jim Dray is being used as one, and Dray is a good ST's player as well.

TE (4): 86-Heap; 87-King; 81-Dray; 84-Housler.

Loved Skelton's third down conversion to Heap---it was thrown perfectly and Heap gathered it in after an initial bobble.

Love King's tenacity---Dray's all-purpose skills---and Housler's receiving ability. All were on display in this game.

Whiz can justify keeping Dray if he only keeps 3 RBs and 1 FB. Essentially Dray takes Jason Wright's roster spot.

WR (5): 11-Fitzgerald; 12-Roberts; 89-Sampson; 85-Doucet; 18-S. Williams.

Fitz and Roberts are givens.

Sampson has moved into the #3 role, imo. He played well on STs. Doucet seems healthy but needs to stand out more. Stephen Williams gives the team another big target WR---and he has some wheels to go with his size.

Isaiah Williams is close---very close. Still PS eligible.

Chansi Stuckey is listed near the back end of the depth chart (must be a reason)---he made an excellent catch and RAC move on the game winning TD drive. At this point---he needs to elevate his game in order to stick. It would appear that he is insurance against Doucet getting injured again.

Max Komar has been sidelined---but with the emergence of Sampson and new TE options, he might have a hard time making the roster this year. And he's not PS eligible.

OL (9): 75-Brown; 71-Colledge; 63-Sendlein; 70-Handot; 72-Keith; 74-Batiste; 73-Bridges; 76-Lutui; 78-Womack.

One of the major questions I kept asking myself through the course of this game---was---is the 2nd o-line better than the first?

To me---man for man---with the exception of the C position---they were clearly better.

Let's start at LT. Levi Brown whiffs on his man badly---on the first play, causing Beanie Wells to be dropped in his tracks for a 1 yard loss. Then there was Brown's false start. What I want to know is: where is the passion? Where is the concentration?

Then---one of the most encouraging and surprising things I watched was the play of LT D'Anthony Batiste. I singled in on him for every snap---and I would give him a grade in the 90s. He played with attitude---he sustained his blocks---he never jumped off sides---he played every snap to the whistle---there was only one time he got beat on a pass rush, but he was still able to recover well enough so that it did not affect the outcome of the play. I like his balance---and I like his hand punch, he has a smoother more natural drop step than Brown's. Now I want to what he can do versus Clay Matthews and I hope he gets the chance.

At LG---Daryn Colledge played as advertised---he's not particularly physical in the running game, but he's a solid pro pass protector. What I like are his feet and his agility and it makes me wonder what he would look like at tackle. I know he was tried there with mixed results in Green Bay---but---he reminds me physically and stylistically of Matt Light---who needed a little time to become a first-rate LT.

Conversely, Pork Chop Womack was more physical and, imo, more productive.

At RG and RT---Rex Hadnot and Brandon Keith got handled at the goal-line and did not get any push, nor was their technique even adequate. Plus, their side was a swinging gate in pass protection.

Deuce is Deuce---despite his weight, he remains, imo, the best and most feared of all our o-linemen---and he and RT Jeremy Bridges were in unison the entire game. There was excellent chemistry and communication there.

Now---some of you will argue that hey the first line was going up against the Raiders' first d-line.

Not so fast.

The Raiders' second d-line was in for the goal-line stand...and remained in the game for as long as our second o-line was in. Our second o-line started dominating them. Our first o-line couldn't get 2 yards in three tries against them.

At C Lyle Sendlein is a real pro. Ben Claxton is very solid. But---he's the odd man out because Hadnot can play C and O'Dowd will be on the PS...as will Jason Sperendon---these two kids are very good UCFA finds.

NT (2): 92-Williams; 79-Carter.

Neither Williams nor Carter played very well in this game. Williams need to get in shape and Carter needs technique.

DE (4): 90-Dockett; 93-Campbell; 91-Holliday; 98-Eason.

This rotation is solid all the way around.

Ronald Talley, because of his strong, aggressive play this week, is in the mix---what he has to do is convince the coaches they are better off having Carter spend a year on the PS and having Eason be the backup NT. Probably won't happen, but it could if Talley keeps charging.

ILB (4): 58-Washington; 97-Bradley; 51-Lenon; 56-Walker.

Bradley is on his way to the starting lineup. He's quite a presence when he is in the game.

Washington---made two of the quickest chase tackles in this game---to his away side. Boy he gets there in a flash---and he finishes.

Lenon was solid...although on one play, on a 3rd and 4, he moved up to threaten the A gap as a blitzer and then on the snap, he slid two gaps sideways (to the C gap) to his right while the running play went right through the B gap inside him and right past him. I still cannot figure out what he was doing. Later they sent him on a run blitz and he stopped the RB in his tracks. Good stuff there.

Walker was a step behind all night---but he's good on STs and he's getting better in coverage. It's possible that he could get beat out by the ubiquitous Pago Togafau---who played solidly with the 3rd unit.

One of the bigger surprises of the game was learning that Brandon Sharpe was paired with Togafau as the 3rd team WILB. I thought Sharpe's forte is as an edge rusher---he played DE at Texas Tech. But---hey---he made some good plays, including the clean up sack on Edwards.

I was very disappointed in the play of rookies Quan Sturdivant and Kendall Smith---two highly touted ACC LBers. It says a lot that Brandon Sharpe was with the 3rd unit in front of these two---and neither one of them did much to make a case otherwise. I think they will keep Sturdivant on the PS and try to coach him up. There is no way he will be claimed by another team---we are seeing reasons why he dropped to the 6th round. If he were good on STs that would be another thing---but did you see how he didn't even make an effort to tackle Denarius Morris on his long punt return? And Morris ran his lane.

OLB (5): 53-Haggans; 55-Porter; 50-Schofield; 94-Acho; 52-Obiozor.

Haggans and Porter defended the run well in this game. But neither was any factor at all in pressuring the QB. Acho came the closest once, but bumped into the QB for a roughing penalty. Acho and Obiozor were the most active and aggressive, mostly on Tex/loop stunts. Schofield got one near pressure---but like Acho, got sealed off to many times and had no counter.

The fact that Will Davis is on the 3rd team---he's likely out.

CB (5): 20-Jefferson; 28-Toler; 21-Peterson; 31-Marshall; 27-Adams.

This game was great to watch from the standpoint of seeing 4 good sized CBs all with speed and all with good, solid tackling ability. These guys fit the system beautifully.

Jefferson stood out. He came up fast and made a great tackle on a screen play to his side. When he was passed on deep, he had good sticky coverage and he looked back for the ball! Already we are seeing a change in the coaching! Plus, Jefferson provided two good fast KO returns.

Toler wasn't picked on much---but gave up too much cushion on one pass.

As did Marshall on a couple of occasions---and Marshall lost his cushion on the deep post---but flashed very good recovery speed.

But you can see Marshall's talent---love the way he came up and stuck Morris on the hitch pass. Not too many Cardinal CBs have done that in recent years.

Peterson did not take advantage of his tremendous athleticism because he didn't play instinctually---which for a rookie in his first pre-season game is expected. The one play he was able to flash his great speed and instincts was the KO he ran---boy, he is fast and hard to corral.

Marshay Green had a great punt return---and is good insurance in case Money Mike needs more time to return.

S (5): 25-Rhodes; 49-Johnson; 23-Abdullah; 22-Ware; 24-Wilson

Johnson is a good nickel and dime FS. Coverting him to SS looks like a mistake. Abdullah and Ware struggle in coverage and are hit or miss tacklers. But---the Cardinals seems to be finished adding players---so this could be it.

ST (3): 3-Feely; 5-Graham; 82-Leach.

All three looked in mid-season form. The timing on STs was very good.

PS (8): 46-Smith (RB): 10-Williams, I. (WR); 60-O'Dowd (C); 61-Sperendon (T); 60-Lumpkin (NT); 54-Sturdivant (LB); 39-Lemmons (OLB); 32-Campbell (S).

This Lemmons kid has spunk and great spirit---as does Calais' little bro, Jared. Both made good tackles in this game.

LAST THREE IN: Dray, Obiozor, Ware

FIRST THREE OUT: I. Williams, Claxton, Talley

As for what I would do---I will post it after I eat lunch.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
was very disappointed in the play of rookies Quan Sturdivant

Another victim of the Duckjake curse. :(

Seems that Duece and Bridges drew some notice Thursday night. Chemistry and Continuity; an offensive lines' Bread and Butter.

I think Dan Williams played well but not exceptionally so. He did what a NT is supposed to do, clog up the middle. But he is out of shape and can play even better.

Last edited:

spanky1

Reaction score
Mitch,

Unless I missed it (and I'll re-read), you didn't say where you would trade Wells to.

But nevertheless, I disagree on your assessment of the starting line-up at RB. Wells be given his shot....at least for now. This is his make or break season and he won't be unloaded this year....just my opinion...other questions for you.

Is Kenny Iwebema done here?

If Wilson is slow to return, would you consider Peterson for S over R. Johnson....considering how AJ Jefferson is coming on.

Letting Mauia go and keeping Dray.....this makes sense to me.

I think we can "stash" Sturdivant on the PS but not David Carter. He'd be picked up quickly IMHO.

Is Max Hall eligible for the PS? I think so.

Keep up the good work.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Mitch,

Unless I missed it (and I'll re-read), you didn't say where you would trade Wells to.

But nevertheless, I disagree on your assessment of the starting line-up at RB. Wells be given his shot....at least for now. This is his make or break season and he won't be unloaded this year....just my opinion...other questions for you.

Is Kenny Iwebema done here?

If Wilson is slow to return, would you consider Peterson for S over R. Johnson....considering how AJ Jefferson is coming on.

Letting Mauia go and keeping Dray.....this makes sense to me.

I think we can "stash" Sturdivant on the PS but not David Carter. He'd be picked up quickly IMHO.

Is Max Hall eligible for the PS? I think so.

Keep up the good work.

Spanky:

1. I am about to post what I would do. Stay tuned.

2. Wells is on the way out. Whiz has been saying all along he wants RBs who can make defenders miss and/or break tackles. Reagan Maui'a has been starting too---but that doesn't mean he will be Week 1---it's a let's not promote the rookies too fast maneuver.

3. Kenny Iwebema was not re-signed. He's still recovering from his knee injury.

4. The answer to the SS situation is not on the roster right now---but---the Bidwills have gone into full paralysis mode. Peterson needs a simplified role at CB for now.

5. Neither Carter or Sturdivant will be claimed. I guarantee it. If they were 4th rounders, maybe.

6. Max is not eligible for the PS---was on the 53 man roster for too many weeks last year.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Good write up, Mitch.

I agree with just about all, but this is what gets me: your RB depth chart.

Beanie is and will be the starter week 1. Of course that is not saying much since this team and many others have a committee of 2 backs running the rock. But Beanie is still the better, more experienced back of anyone on the roster.

I love R. Williams body of work, and evidently, many on this board are completely enamored with it, but he is not going to supplant beanie on the depth chart. And LSH will be the #3 as he is our kick returner and is better suited for spread formations and obvious passing downs.

In addition to which, you are basing this all on one preseason game. By that logic, Max Hall outperformed Kolb and would be the starter week 1. If you truly believe Wells was outperformed, realize that Williams and LSH were running against a Raiders 3rd and 4th string defense that has little to no depth.

And Wells won't be traded. Where do you get this assertion? We already traded THT. Why compromise the depth at running back even more?

I firmly believe if Beanie stays healthy, we are going to see him produce at a higher level than his rookie season, which was impressive given the circumstances. He looked quick out on the edges and the stiff arm is back in play. He does need to work on getting push up front, but it's difficult for any back to try and truck several tacklers at one time because of zero containment up front. That's where his #s were impacted last game.

The bottom line is the production of our running game will begin and end with the front line, which has proven to be insufficient for many years. I don't see much improvement except for Colledge at LG. That's what terrifies me.

Week 1. This is your depth chart: 1 - Wells 2 - R. Williams 3 - LSH

Wells will get 70% of the carries, Williams 25%, LSH 5%. Give or take.

This is all subject to change of course.

And I hope Alphonso Smith makes the PS at least. He is a fun little back to watch and would be a formidable #3.

Last edited:

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Then---one of the most encouraging and surprising things I watched was the play of LT D'Anthony Batiste. I singled in on him for every snap---and I would give him a grade in the 90s. He played with attitude---he sustained his blocks---he never jumped off sides---he played every snap to the whistle---there was only one time he got beat on a pass rush, but he was still able to recover well enough so that it did not affect the outcome of the play. I like his balance---and I like his hand punch, he has a smoother more natural drop step than Brown's. Now I want to what he can do versus Clay Matthews and I hope he gets the chance.

Mitch, I would just like to second this paragraph. I too kept a close eye on Batiste the entire game, and though I believe he was beat twice I do like him a lot. It really is just like you say, that he simply looks more natural playing the position. I think he could improve his footwork and I think he could stand to be a little stronger. However, if he was training fulltime with the starters I believe those things would improve.

By the way, yes, he might have played versus second stringers, but for the most part those second stringers were Quentin Groves and Jarvis Moss. Groves has nearly 50 starts in the NFL, and projects to be a starter at linebacker this season. Moss has been a bust but he was a first round pick nontheless so we know he has some ability. Those guys are not that easy to handle. I will be keeping a very close eye on Batiste the next games. Imagine if the team simply has an upgrade from Brown on their own roster.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Nice job Mitch-----I too think that Max is on the bubble at QB. Sherman is definitely our FB. I believe all 4 TE's will make very positive contributions. I like your WR lineup, BUT if Doucet gets injured in pre-season, or maybe even early in the regular season, I think he is gone. I really like the depth of our O-line this year, BUT by game #1, I would love to see Batiste and Colledge playing side-by side on the left, and Lutui and Bridges side by side on the right. I believe that could be our best 5 man combo. That leaves great depth with Levi, Womak, Hadnot, and Keith.

Defense is harder to predict, because Horton really is still trying to find what he has in each player. He knows WHAT he wants to do. I don't believe he has a real good handle yet on HOW that will happen. I will just say this. I like, (and I believe he likes) his 4 corners, hopefully with money Mike in reserve at some point. Right now, I look at NT and at Rush OLB positions to be VERY weak to almost non-existent. Porter is a bonus this year, (with Horton needing all the teaching help he can get). I loved seeing Porter coaching up Toler and Jefferson, and D-Wash on the sideline during the game, and I especially liked how they seemed to be eating up every word and gesture he was giving out. I also like that he gave up some money to come back, (nice leadership and team-building quality there). Just hope they play him sparingly and don't exhaust him before we get into a true pass rush situation when they do play him. I agree that Rhodes and Johnson appear to be FS candidates only. I will be amazed if A-dub can contribute much before mid-season, (if at all), with his torn bicep. I am amazed that we failed to address a big, fast, DE (type) Rush OLB in the draft. We passed on several, and at one point I felt we had the opportunity to trade up for one, even after taking Peterson, and Williams. ILB might be OK with the players we have, but it certainly will NOT be spectacular.

Last edited:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good analysis Mitch. I don't see Beanie leaving this year. The decision to trade Hightower IMO assured Wells of being on the team and for now the starter. However this is a make or break year for him.

I think Lutui and Bridges will be the starters along with Cooledge and Levi Brown. Additionally Brown must produce or be let go after the season. He is due $16 Million next year (I saw that somewhere) The Cards could sign a good FA for that in the next off season and also draft an OT with their 1st round pick.

I agree with Catfish that more time is needed for Horton's defense to make roster decisions.

I think Hall will be out at qb. I feel that both WRS Sampson and S. Williams will see a lot of action as both are excellent and can stretch the field. Doucet may be the odd one out here.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Good analysis Mitch. I don't see Beanie leaving this year. The decision to trade Hightower IMO assured Wells of being on the team and for now the starter. However this is a make or break year for him.

I think Lutui and Bridges will be the starters along with Cooledge and Levi Brown. Additionally Brown must produce or be let go after the season. He is due $16 Million next year (I saw that somewhere) The Cards could sign a good FA for that in the next off season and also draft an OT with their 1st round pick.

I agree with Catfish that more time is needed for Horton's defense to make roster decisions.

I think Hall will be out at qb. I feel that both WRS Sampson and S. Williams will see a lot of action as both are excellent and can stretch the field. Doucet may be the odd one out here.

If that's true Brown is gone regardless. Like you said you can get a lot of good players for that kind of money and the Cards usually don't keep guys around in that situation.

However, If the Cards draft or sign a new Left Tackle, PLEASE do not let him wear #75.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Business mans lunch Mitch????

Very good write up and I also came away impressed with how the 2nd and 3rd O-line units performed.

I agree with most that Beanie isn't traded this year. Whiz commented on how Beanie knows the offense this year and stepped up and made good blitz pick ups against the Raiders.

If Williams gets the pass protection down and Beanie performs at the same level running the ball as against the Raiders I do see the rook getting more and more touches.

It will be interesting to see if LSH gets more touches since it appears there won't be as many KO returns this year due to the new rule.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
If that's true Brown is gone regardless. Like you said you can get a lot of good players for that kind of money and the Cards usually don't keep guys around in that situation.

However, If the Cards draft or sign a new Left Tackle, PLEASE do not let him wear #75.

LOL---- Jake, you are indeed a piece of work. I understand that fear of the #13 is called something like 'triskadecaphobia'. It struck me as funny, (wondering what the hell one would call the fear of #75)? I'm not up on my latin. Do you suppose it might be, (evensae ointpae I'vefae ecadae obiafae)?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Avatar bet Mitch? Barring injury, Wells will be the starting RB.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice write up Mitch.

One thing that has become all too often the norm for this club is, "He don't fit this system." Then why the hell did we draft him? Just more evidence that the front ofice dosen't KNOW what our system is.

That being said, I just can't see the Cards giving up on Wells. Seems to me a 25 year old 225 lb healthy rb can be used in this or any system.

A stiff arm is just as effective as making a player miss.

Until we give him the ball 20 times a game for a while we are not going to see what he can do. I believe he is the type of back that needs to get into a rythmn. It would also help if we had an offensive line that could pound on the defense and wear the dline down late in the half or game.

I think we will see a blend of Wells and Williams over the season and whoever gets on a roll will get most of the carries that day.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I'll go with the 53 and practice squad as well.

No changes.

All I really ask is for a competitive football team, and that roster has the potential for a competitive football team.

This squad will live and die on whether they can run the football effectively or not, IMO.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mitch, your point about our CB's, with the exception of Jefferson, giving too much cushion. I read, and it might have been Whiz talking in an interview, that it looked like too much cushion because our LB's weren't dropping back into coverage. Could this be the case?

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And Wells won't be traded. Where do you get this assertion? We already traded THT. Why compromise the depth at running back even more?

Mitch has a hard on for trading Beanie for awhile now.. Once he thinks up something quirky, its hard for Mitch to let go of those thoughts even if all logic is staring him right in the face..

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Nice write up Mitch.

One thing that has become all too often the norm for this club is, "He don't fit this system." Then why the hell did we draft him? Just more evidence that the front ofice dosen't KNOW what our system is.

That being said, I just can't see the Cards giving up on Wells. Seems to me a 25 year old 225 lb healthy rb can be used in this or any system.

A stiff arm is just as effective as making a player miss.

Until we give him the ball 20 times a game for a while we are not going to see what he can do. I believe he is the type of back that needs to get into a rythmn. It would also help if we had an offensive line that could pound on the defense and wear the dline down late in the half or game.

I think we will see a blend of Wells and Williams over the season and whoever gets on a roll will get most of the carries that day.

Slanidrac-----that comes more from taking the BPA in the draft than taking a need player. The onus (THEN), goes on the coaches to implement the best scheme to fit the talents we have, as opposed to trying to pound the square pegs into the round holes that we have created with our schemes. Horton, (at least), seems to be looking at each player on the 'D' with an eye for where and how he can best use them. While that might translate into requiring more time to really develop the new defensive scheme, it should pay large benefits once he matches each player to the position, then determines how he plays that player. Hopefully Whiz gives him the time to develop the scheme, (and his players), properly.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Slanidrac-----that comes more from taking the BPA in the draft than taking a need player. The onus (THEN), goes on the coaches to implement the best scheme to fit the talents we have, as opposed to trying to pound the square pegs into the round holes that we have created with our schemes. Horton, (at least), seems to be looking at each player on the 'D' with an eye for where and how he can best use them. While that might translate into requiring more time to really develop the new defensive scheme, it should pay large benefits once he matches each player to the position, then determines how he plays that player. Hopefully Whiz gives him the time to develop the scheme, (and his players), properly.

Yeah that really gets into what exactly is drafting Best Player Available.

To me drafting for need is based on position. You're thin at CB so you take the best CB available even though there is a DE or TE who could be a better NFL player.

Drafting BPA should mean the player that best fits your team regardless of position and that's how your board should be made up right? Isn't that what New England does? Pittsburgh?

It just doesn't seem to make sense to draft guys whose skillsets don't fit just because they were great in college and get a high rating from the weather guys er... I mean draft gurus. Otherwise, like you said, you're pounding square pegs into round holes.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah that really gets into what exactly is drafting Best Player Available.

To me drafting for need is based on position. You're thin at CB so you take the best CB available even though there is a DE or TE who could be a better NFL player.

Drafting BPA should mean the player that best fits your team regardless of position and that's how your board should be made up right? Isn't that what New England does? Pittsburgh?

It just doesn't seem to make sense to draft guys whose skillsets don't fit just because they were great in college and get a high rating from the weather guys er... I mean draft gurus. Otherwise, like you said, you're pounding square pegs into round holes.

Jake----I couldn't agree more. BUT it seems that Horton has taken to poking and prodding and analyzing the 'D' players individually, (even to the point of saying something derogatory in order to see how they react. I get the sense that he is working very diligently to ascertain the strengths and weaknesses of each man on the 'D'. Hopefully he is doing that so he can determine where, (and how), to best utilize them in his scheme, (or how to adopt his scheme to the talent he has). I hope Whiz gives him the time he needs to develop the nuances of what our 'D' will become this year.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Jake----I couldn't agree more. BUT it seems that Horton has taken to poking and prodding and analyzing the 'D' players individually, (even to the point of saying something derogatory in order to see how they react. I get the sense that he is working very diligently to ascertain the strengths and weaknesses of each man on the 'D'. Hopefully he is doing that so he can determine where, (and how), to best utilize them in his scheme, (or how to adopt his scheme to the talent he has). I hope Whiz gives him the time he needs to develop the nuances of what our 'D' will become this year.

He doesn't have any choice. It's not like he got to bring all new players with him. For now he has to try and work with what was here. So what you are basically saying is Horton is trying to figure out how best to field a Defense with a bunch of square pegs trying to fit in round holes.

WarnerHOF

Registered
Reaction score
Isn't it strange how people were so ready to call Ryan Williams a bust on draft day and now he's the best RB on the roster? ;)

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Isn't it strange how people were so ready to call Ryan Williams a bust on draft day and now he's the best RB on the roster? ;)

What I remember is that most people either thought RWilliams was a great pick or thought it was ridiculous to use the #2 on a guy who hadn't even played two full seasons of college ball when the team already had TH and Chris Wells.

What happens is that the same people who thought Williams was a great pick are now saying he's the best RB on the roster and the others aren't saying anything. So its not strange at all.

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I didn't call him a bust on draft day nor do I think he's the best RB on the roster :).

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
What I remember is that most people either thought RWilliams was a great pick or thought it was ridiculous to use the #2 on a guy who hadn't even played two full seasons of college ball when the team already had TH and Chris Wells.

What happens is that the same people who thought Williams was a great pick are now saying he's the best RB on the roster and the others aren't saying anything. So its not strange at all.

I thought RWilliams was a talented back but felt that we had much more pressing needs and that he wasn't so much better than everyone else on the draft board at the time to warrant the pick.

I think he will be a good back and eventually our starter, but man a pass rushing OLB would be so nice right now.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave