Cardinals RELOAD or REBUILD?..You contribute to Thread

Doug

B a n n ed WARRIOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Lynn Haven Florida(Panama City)1 mile away.
Coach Whiz and staff have been preparing to replace weak spots and certain players probably moving on or getting too old from day one.

No way could I recall even HALF of the moves made in preparation for the loss of players and to UPGRADE the talent level at every position on the Roster to the addition of Ben Graham as a very talented WEAPON at punter as his ability to pin teams deep on his awesome skill at punting along with a few special Team players on the punt team that down the directional balls near the goalline.

We had Fitzgerald & Boldin but could'nt find that third WR to make us a great recieving team as the very high Draft pick of Johnson just was'nt working out with his very poor hands.We rotated and used players as Urban and others to get by until our FIFTH Rounder in Steve Breaston became that speedy 3RD reciever to not only count on but return kicks & punts successfully till his knee injury slowed him down to just punt returns.

Now TWO Drafts with 3RD round draft picks at Wide reciever a year apart First with the draft of Early Doucet to be a possible (HOPE) of a even close fill-in IF we were to lose the constantly disgruntled Anquan Boldin.Many will argue this point but it took a year and last year finally Doucet took his step up to allow the team to move forward.

The team waits another year then drafts another Third round Wide reciever Andre Roberts from the Citadel with great hands and also return skills to hopefully give our new #2 Wide Reciever in Steve Breaston to just concentrate on his recieving duties.Yet Breaston still wants to return punts and vows to fight for the job.

Whiz saw the possible loss of our talented defensive end in Smith who ended up with a Big payday in Houston as The second round pick of Calais' Campbell has been an AWESOME find from Miami and very high expectations after his very good showing last year and lots of growth ability showing through.

The addition and improvement of play from Matt Ware allows our defense the ability to freelace the extra skills of strong safety adrian Wilson who is part of the heart of the team even though he lacks in coverage skills ,just a little bit as he has two straight Pro Bowl years and scares the HELL out of quarterbacks pre-snap on their back-side.

Hate we let Hood go and signed Mcfadden who tackled well but lacked in coverage for his pay.While Cromartie continues to be a major up and coming coverage cornerback and we can only pray Toler can mimic the talents brought from another small school diamond in the draft.

Will Cody Brown, Will smith,( Who I believe were drafted to find a replacement for Pace) Stevie Baggs, Jerry porter & Haggins be enough to make up for the loss of an aging Okeafor and Berry who only added in our sack and pressure system on "D".

We lost a Super Bowl offensive left tackle and had a stop-gap vet fill-in replace him till our very high first round offensive tackle look like he can handle the left side as he did at Penn State. Plus the 2 lower draft picks that are homegrown and trained up by Grimm & Lott in Brandon Keith and Herman "House" Johnson. As Jeremy Bridges was a stopgap when our vet OLT was injured and then released.Now we add a vet in Alan Faneca to help the lagging run game and Reggie Wells & Lutui who will be in a career year offseason to earn back a starting position. Also Rex Hadnot as depth and competition for the O-Line.Can Sendlein improve at the key Pivot position?

Can Dan Williams even make a contribution as a rookie in the much tougher NFL? Will Robinson still start or will Gabe Watson finally become what we always hoped he would, or will his constantly injured knee be his downfall? Can Branch step up as a pass rush threat at DE if he can't play the NT position? Can kenny Iwebema become more than a backup rotational player at DE? This is normally the year the light normally comes on or it does'nt at that position.

The major replacement transfer of high Draft pick from top TCU defense in Washington trying to become our stud replacement for Karlos Dansby and all he brought at the KEY defensive position our defense runs around with the Vet Lenon now in the starting spot and hopefully good coach for Washington.

I have'nt even touched Feeley replacing Rackers who stayed injured too often and the Tight end situation and all of its changes as Patrick & Becht seem to have the top spots right now as a couple high rookies never panned out for us.

Same with the much needed Fullback position that needs more skill and talent as our team has transitioned From Edggerrin James & Arrington in our SuperBowl year with help from our rookie then in Tim Hightower and now the Sophmore year of Stud RunningBack Beanie Wells with the Howler adding his special skills all over the field as a pass catcher and screen runner and specialteam STUD.Add jason Wright and his skills and set of plays to Schofield and Kerry Rhodes to the mix this year.Is Rhodes tough enough for us?

Can Schofield go on pup till he can contribute THIS year?

I'll leave the matt Leinart story & our backups for someone else.

Our we RELOADING or REBUILDING? I still did'nt speak of our SILB position along with many other positions.When you respond can you give your opinion on where we now stand?

Personally I believe Coach Whiz has us RELOADING and along with a higher level of play from Matt Leinart this year we Threepeat NFC WEST.:)

Last edited:

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Coach Whiz and staff have been preparing to replace weak spots and certain players probably moving on or getting too old from day one.

No way could I recall even HALF of the moves made in preparation for the loss of players and to UPGRADE the talent level at every position on the Roster to the addition of Ben Graham as a very talented WEAPON at punter as his ability to pin teams deep on his awesome skill at punting along with a few special Team players on the punt team that down the directional balls near the goalline.

We had Fitzgerald & Boldin but could'nt find that third WR to make us a great recieving team as the very high Draft pick of Johnson just was'nt working out with his very poor hands.We rotated and used players as Urban and others to get by until our FIFTH Rounder in Steve Breaston became that speedy 3RD reciever to not only count on but return kicks & punts successfully till his knee injury slowed him down to just punt returns.

Now TWO Drafts with 3RD round draft picks at Wide reciever a year apart First with the draft of Early Doucet to be a possible (HOPE) of a even close fill-in IF we were to lose the constantly disgruntled Anquan Boldin.Many will argue this point but it took a year and last year finally Doucet took his step up to allow the team to move forward.

The team waits another year then drafts another Third round Wide reciever Andre Roberts from the Citadel with great hands and also return skills to hopefully give our new #2 Wide Reciever in Steve Breaston to just concentrate on his recieving duties.Yet Breaston still wants to return punts and vows to fight for the job.

Whiz saw the possible loss of our talented defensive end in Smith who ended up with a Big payday in Houston as The second round pick of Calais' Campbell has been an AWESOME find from Miami and very high expectations after his very good showing last year and lots of growth ability showing through.

The addition and improvement of play from Matt Ware allows our defense the ability to freelace the extra skills of strong safety adrian Wilson who is part of the heart of the team even though he lacks in coverage skills ,just a little bit as he has two straight Pro Bowl years and scares the HELL out of quarterbacks pre-snap on their back-side.

Hate we let Hood go and signed Mcfadden who tackled well but lacked in coverage for his pay.While Cromartie continues to be a major up and coming coverage cornerback and we can only pray Toler can mimic the talents brought from another small school diamond in the draft.

Will Cody Brown, Will smith, Stevie Baggs, Jerry porter & Haggins be enough to make up for the loss of an aging Okeafor and Berry who only added in our sack and pressure system on "D".

We lost a Super Bowl offensive left tackle and had a stop-gap vet fill-in replace him till our very high first round offensive tackle look like he can handle the left side as he did at Penn State. Plus the 2 lower draft picks that are homegrown and trained up by Grimm & Lott in Brandon Keith and Herman "House" Johnson. As Jeremy Bridges was a stopgap when our vet OLT was injured and then released.Now we add a vet in Alan Faneca to help the lagging run game and Reggie Wells & Lutui who will be in a career year offseason to earn back a starting position. Also Rex Hadnot as depth and competition for the O-Line.Can Sendlein improve at the key Pivot position?

Can Dan Williams evan make a contribution as a rookie in the much tougher NFL? Will Robinson still start or will Gabe Watson finally become what we always hoped he would? Can Branch step up as a pass rush threat at DE if he can't play the NT position? Can kenny Iwebema become more than a backup rotational player at DE? This is normally the year the light normally comes on or it does'nt at that position.

The major replacement transfer of high Draft pick from top TCU defense in Washington trying to become our stud replacement for Karlos Dansby and all he brought at the KEY defensive position our defense runs around with the Vet Lenon now in the starting spot and hopefully good coach for Washington.

I have'nt even touched Feeley replacing Rackers who stayed injured too often and the Tight end situation and all of its changes as Patrick & Becht seem to have the top spots right now as a couple high rookies never panned out for us.

Same with the much needed Fullback position that needs more skill and talent as our team has transitioned From Edggerrin James & Arrington in our SuperBowl year with help from our rookie then in Tim Hightower and now the Sophmore year of Stud RunningBack Beanie Wells with the Howler adding his special skills all over the field as a pass catcher and screen runner and specialteam STUD.Add jason Wright and his skills and set of plays to Schofield and Kerry Rhodes to the mix this year.Is Rhodes tough enough for us?

Can Schofield go on pup till he can contribute THIS year?

I'll leave the matt Leinart story & our backups for someone else.

Our we RELOADING or REBUILDING? I still did'nt speak of our SILB position along with many other positions.When you respond can you give your opinion on where we now stand?

Personally I believe Coach Whiz has us RELOADING and along with a higher level of play from Matt Leinart this year we Threepeat NFC WEST.:)

This team will succeed or fail on the arm of Matt Leinart. If he does not hack it we will be a middle of the pack team. If he is good we can go as far as his arm will take us. We are improved at running but still are built as a passing team with perhaps the best receivers in the NFL

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Leinart will have to make some plays with his arms. The main part of this offense is going to be on the running game. I have been saying this all along. The Cardinals need to quit turning the ball over. Wells & Hightower combine for 9 fumble lost last season. They accounted for half of the Cardinals fumble lost. They hang on to the ball the Cardinals will win a lot games next season.

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well presented, Doug....

Hope you're doing well. BLESSINGS! :) As to your question, I think it's actually a bit of BOTH. I always hear the word "identidy" (sp.??)when talking about a team and their style of play. To me, if you were asked to give a short answer what would you say?? Clearly, with Kurt, it was...We're going to pass...and you can't stop us! This was the same mentality the Rams had when they were great! The runs were mixed in here-n-there to keep the D off-balance. Course when you also have a Marshall Faulk?? Well....

Now, we're transitioning to a power running game but still very capable of attacking thru the air. I especially think we're going to see a tremendous up-grade in Levi's game as I consider him more of a mauler. I think this team is going to be physical to a point that they can out-strength (THANK-YOU! John Lott) the other teams in the middle of the 4th when the chips are usually on the table. I appreciate your in-sights, Doug. As a Cardinal fan of 43+ years, I do very little complaining these days. We are in the mix! What else can I ask for?? GO CARDS! :D

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Very nice write-up Doug. Very nice!

I'm going with reloading. And to continue the analogy I think Whiz has kept enough of his powder dry that this team is going to surprise a whole lot of people. :)

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I think we're reloading. A suspect defense from last season may be better next year than this season, still has question marks at SILB, WILB, FS & especially CB. Talentwise on paper it looks better, but some young players really have to step in & be major contributors this year!!! Who knows?

Offensively we may run a little more, but I still think we will pass more than many expect.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think we're reloading. A suspect defense from last season may be better next year than this season, still has question marks at SILB, WILB, FS & especially CB.
I'm not sure the defensive coverage could be worse than it was last year.

Reaction score
Reloading or rebuilding? That depends on the W-L record at the end of the season. :wink2:

But there has been a significant turnover of personnel on the Cardinals since playing in the Super Bowl. The other day I was looking at a Cardinals Super Bowl t-shirt; listed on the back of the shirt were the names of the 53 players on the active squad for the Super Bowl. There are only 25 of those players remaining on the Cardinals current roster; 10 that were starters.

Michael Adams
Alan Branch
Steve Breaston
Monty Beisel
*Levi Brown
Calais Campbell
*Darnell Dockett
Early Doucet
*Larry Fitzgerald
Clark Haggans
*Gerald Hayes
Ali Highsmith
Tim Hightower
Kenny Iwebema
Matt Leinart
*Duece Lutui
Ben Patrick
*Bryan Robinson
*Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
*Lyle Sendlein
Stephen Spach
Matt Ware
Gabe Watson
*Reggie Wells
*Adrian Wilson

*Starters in SB43

And I will bet that by the cut down to 53 this season there will be someone on this list of 25 no longer with the team.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Very nice write-up Doug. Very nice!

I'm going with reloading. And to continue the analogy I think Whiz has kept enough of his powder dry that this team is going to surprise a whole lot of people. :)

amen....well written piece.

Buckybird

Reaction score
Reloading or rebuilding? That depends on the W-L record at the end of the season. :wink2:

But there has been a significant turnover of personnel on the Cardinals since playing in the Super Bowl. The other day I was looking at a Cardinals Super Bowl t-shirt; listed on the back of the shirt were the names of the 53 players on the active squad for the Super Bowl. There are only 25 of those players remaining on the Cardinals current roster; 10 that were starters.

Michael Adams
Alan Branch
Steve Breaston
Monty Beisel
*Levi Brown
Calais Campbell
*Darnell Dockett
Early Doucet
*Larry Fitzgerald
Clark Haggans
*Gerald Hayes
Ali Highsmith
Tim Hightower
Kenny Iwebema
Matt Leinart
*Duece Lutui
Ben Patrick
*Bryan Robinson
*Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
*Lyle Sendlein
Stephen Spach
Matt Ware
Gabe Watson
*Reggie Wells
*Adrian Wilson

*Starters in SB43

And I will bet that by the cut down to 53 this season there will be someone on this list of 25 no longer with the team.

Yep!!! You nailed it, it may take a few seasons to be as good because the chemistry & new faces take some time to gel & possibly longer if #7 isn't the answer though I believe 100% in his abilities.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Hey buddy, Reloading is what does it for me. John H says we live or die on the arm of Matt Leinart. I say we do just fine, and Matt IS our QBOF.

So far as Rhodes goes, I believe he will be the center fielder we were looking for to let A-Dub run free with his stunts.

I also believe in Toler, and feel that the way he performed in the playoffs against the eventual SB winner was proof enough. If Lott has been able to toughen up DRC, then we should have a pair of corners that we will cherish.

I believe that by our Bye week, Dan Williams IS the answer at NT.

I believe in our depth at rush-LB, and feel that we are much stronger there than with Berry/Okeafor.

Washington from TCU should be just fine, and even if we keep Schofield on the IR for the year, he is like an extra #2 pick for us next year----(but my guess is that he contributes at some point this year). BONUS

I liken Whiz' reload job like a 12 guage that he fired twice. The first, a massive kill shot that took us to the SB, and the second a solid shot that got us into the PO picture. Now he has ejected the spent casings, and shoved some brand new ammo into the magazine. PULL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I liken Whiz' reload job like a 12 guage that he fired twice. The first, a massive kill shot that took us to the SB, and the second a solid shot that got us into the PO picture. Now he has ejected the spent casings, and shoved some brand new ammo into the magazine. PULL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice job! :thumbup:

:notworthy:

Buckybird

Reaction score

nice analogy Fish!!!

OP
OP
Doug

Doug

B a n n ed WARRIOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Hey buddy, Reloading is what does it for me. John H says we live or die on the arm of Matt Leinart. I say we do just fine, and Matt IS our QBOF.

So far as Rhodes goes, I believe he will be the center fielder we were looking for to let A-Dub run free with his stunts.

I also believe in Toler, and feel that the way he performed in the playoffs against the eventual SB winner was proof enough. If Lott has been able to toughen up DRC, then we should have a pair of corners that we will cherish.

I believe that by our Bye week, Dan Williams IS the answer at NT.

I believe in our depth at rush-LB, and feel that we are much stronger there than with Berry/Okeafor.

Washington from TCU should be just fine, and even if we keep Schofield on the IR for the year, he is like an extra #2 pick for us next year----(but my guess is that he contributes at some point this year). BONUS

Fish you deserve an award for such an inspiring reply to an article.Could'nt have put it into better words if I sat an thought for days.Just finished a surgery Wednesday.Went well (and deep) and now I'm finally free to pursue the Big One.If I go for it I'm not guaranteed to see another football game again.Gonna really make sure I have the best brain surgeon in the world first.May take a few trips to meet with other surgeons first.Thanks for your prayers and those in the family here who knows i'm thinking and thanking them too.GOD BLESS you all.

I want us to "Shock The World" this year when no one expects the CARDINALS who just lost a few players and added ourselves a few others.The NEW Cardinals are here to stay.Get used to it.Hope we get to keep all our coaches after this standout season.

A couple other teams have had some injuries during OTA's and mini camps that just began.So glad Rex is our only bump we know of so far.We'll need to keep it that way ALL season.Would like an update if they ever do an MRI on Hadnot.I'll have another MRI in two weeks.Gonna try and break a Guiness book of records for MRI's.Bong* Bong* for you MRI fans.:)

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Fish you deserve an award for such an inspiring reply to an article.Could'nt have put it into better words if I sat an thought for days.Just finished a surgery Wednesday.Went well (and deep) and now I'm finally free to pursue the Big One.If I go for it I'm not guaranteed to see another football game again.Gonna really make sure I have the best brain surgeon in the world first.May take a few trips to meet with other surgeons first.Thanks for your prayers and those in the family here who knows i'm thinking and thanking them too.GOD BLESS you all.

I want us to "Shock The World" this year when no one expects the CARDINALS who just lost a few players and added ourselves a few others.The NEW Cardinals are here to stay.Get used to it.Hope we get to keep all our coaches after this standout season.

A couple other teams have had some injuries during OTA's and mini camps that just began.So glad Rex is our only bump we know of so far.We'll need to keep it that way ALL season.Would like an update if they ever do an MRI on Hadnot.I'll have another MRI in two weeks.Gonna try and break a Guiness book of records for MRI's.Bong* Bong* for you MRI fans.:)

Wow Doug----I kind of thought by your silence, then the flurry of posts, that you may have had the second surgery. Now comes the tough decision.

I ask that everyone on this board-----even if you aren't the praying kind-----PLEASE JOIN ME IN PRAYER, (or at least channeling your thoughts), to help Doug make the right decision about his next surgery. You now know his dilemma. He can have the surgery, and maybe come out pain free, (or maybe blind), and maybe not even relieved of the pain. The very thought that he must even MAKE a decision of this magnitude has to be troubling and an extremely heavy burden to carry.

Heavenly Father, please guide Doug in his efforts to rid himself of his pain. Help him to choose wisely, and if that choice is to have further surgery, please guide his surgeon's hand with yours, so that good results are achieved. Amen.

Buckybird

Reaction score
Wow Doug----I kind of thought by your silence, then the flurry of posts, that you may have had the second surgery. Now comes the tough decision.

I ask that everyone on this board-----even if you aren't the praying kind-----PLEASE JOIN ME IN PRAYER, (or at least channeling your thoughts), to help Doug make the right decision about his next surgery. You now know his dilemma. He can have the surgery, and maybe come out pain free, (or maybe blind), and maybe not even relieved of the pain. The very thought that he must even MAKE a decision of this magnitude has to be troubling and an extremely heavy burden to carry.

Heavenly Father, please guide Doug in his efforts to rid himself of his pain. Help him to choose wisely, and if that choice is to have further surgery, please guide his surgeon's hand with yours, so that good results are achieved. Amen.

well said Fish!!! Doug we're here for you man, in our thoughts & prayers on your decision.

Reaction score

With you brother; AMEN!

God bless, Doug! I sure hope that the NFL is helping with your medical costs...

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Echo that.

You the man, Doug.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Amen!

Doug, you know you have been in my prayers for a very long time. (Not even counting a certain January day. ;)) You've got a ton of people praying for you. Groups, prayer chains. I've even pulled out my ace in the hole: A group of cloistered nuns in L.A. All they do is pray and make pumpkin bread and you're on their list.

We're all asking God for a full healing and for Him to guide you to the perfect doctor and through all the decisions that are coming. Blessings to your family too.

Think good thoughts through all the Boing*Boings*. Offer up some prayers, while you're in there, for our Cards that we get back to the Super Bowl. (Gotta keep your mind off all that racket.)

Hang in there. Remember, it's one day at a time. You've got a lot of people that care about you!

Dems

Please... keep us posted and keep on posting. I rely on your expertise!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Doug

Doug

B a n n ed WARRIOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Amen!

Doug, you know you have been in my prayers for a very long time. (Not even counting a certain January day. ;)) You've got a ton of people praying for you. Groups, prayer chains. I've even pulled out my ace in the hole: A group of cloistered nuns in L.A. All they do is pray and make pumpkin bread and you're on their list.

We're all asking God for a full healing and for Him to guide you to the perfect doctor and through all the decisions that are coming. Blessings to your family too.

Think good thoughts through all the Boing*Boings*. Offer up some prayers, while you're in there, for our Cards that we get back to the Super Bowl. (Gotta keep your mind off all that racket.)

Hang in there. Remember, it's one day at a time. You've got a lot of people that care about you!

Dems

Please... keep us posted and keep on posting. I rely on your expertise!

You tryin to make a grown man cry? Your blessed Nuns and relation have prayed me through before.Love all of you special folks who know who you are.Dem you knew I always include you awesome lady.
Boy I'm hopin the defense shocks the Hell out of me this year and play over their heads & outta their minds.Maybe a final peice to the puzzle gonna come in a CB or SILB.

I want it ALL before my number is called.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have'nt even touched Feeley
(Which, I guess, should make his nickname "Touchy Feeley").

I believe that the Cardinal FO in recent years has always thought a few years ahead with regard to stocking and replenishing their roster. The variable each year is whether the long and short-term moves they make turn out to be good ones or not-so-good ones. (When they're good - we're "reloading." When too many turn out to be bad, it will mean we'll be "rebuilding").

Doug - You're in a gut-wrenching situation being forced to make a tough decision. What's important (& reassuring) is that you seem to be committed to living your life as fully and richly as you can, given the circumstances; with whatever decisions you make being part of the deal.

To paraphrase Satchell Paige - Whatever you decide, "don't look back; someone might be catching up to you." Hang in there.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave