Cardinals Playoff opTIMism in September!

AZCardsWin

Our waiting is over!
Reaction score
Its fair to say not a lot of us, nor the local/national media, expect the Arizona Cardinals to make the playoffs this year. Many expect this to be a rebuilding year and so far its been just that. But this is shaping up to be a season of attrition throughout the NFL, especially with starting quarterbacks.

Based on how the Cardinals have played so far, and based on the recent injuries to Brees (Saints) and Big Ben (Steelers) the Cardinals schedule has become somewhat more favorable, so a win this upcoming weekend versus the Carolina Panthers will put them at 1-1-1 overall (1-0-1 in NFC) and in great shape to be in the middle of the NFC Playoff Picture.

9-6-1 would most likely be the #2 wildcard this year over a few 9-7 teams as the AFC is so strong and will be winning the non conference games. I think 9 wins is achievable IF Cardinals can beat Panthers, Bucs, Saints, Giants, Steelers, Browns, Falcons, 49ers and Seahawks.

Its fun to dream, Go Cardinals!
Tim in NJ

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree "on paper", but it's under the assumption that the Cards are consistent (or better) in their level of play...and that's no lock.

I haven't seen us win enough (heh heh) to actually "know" we can beat the Panteras.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
This is not a playoff team and I did not think it would be one even if they achieved the highest expectations for who they actually are now. This is a team, though, which can progress through the season and actually be expected to be a playoff team next year... especially if you have a QB who is your franchise player on a rookie contract, and your cap space becomes even more accessible with the current talent

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Not likely.Small steady consistent steps of improvement are needed.Murray has to get experience and mesh with the offense..its take time.Still after all the flashy glitzy stats the Cards still have what ? 4 offensive TDs and 7 FGs.That won`t get you to the3 playoffs and zero running game.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not gonna happen this year, but already the product is looking much improved from last year and will improve a bit more as the season wears on.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Not likely.Small steady consistent steps of improvement are needed.Murray has to get experience and mesh with the offense..its take time.Still after all the flashy glitzy stats the Cards still have what ? 4 offensive TDs and 7 FGs.That won`t get you to the3 playoffs and zero running game.
Well like 4 of those FGs were on possessions where they got to within a few yards of a TD. Suggests that they may not be far from something like 3 TDs per game and that will win you some games.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hey. This year will be a success for me based on steady improvement and maybe wrecking the playoff hopes of the three teams on top of the division right now. That would be a pleasure.

Son of RedRage

All Star
Reaction score
This is a fascinating team, in that, unlike all the other winless teams, we're actually fun to watch so far. I've been more captivated by this team than I have been in years, and that's a damn good thing to say.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Its fair to say not a lot of us, nor the local/national media, expect the Arizona Cardinals to make the playoffs this year. Many expect this to be a rebuilding year and so far its been just that. But this is shaping up to be a season of attrition throughout the NFL, especially with starting quarterbacks.

Based on how the Cardinals have played so far, and based on the recent injuries to Brees (Saints) and Big Ben (Steelers) the Cardinals schedule has become somewhat more favorable, so a win this upcoming weekend versus the Carolina Panthers will put them at 1-1-1 overall (1-0-1 in NFC) and in great shape to be in the middle of the NFC Playoff Picture.

9-6-1 would most likely be the #2 wildcard this year over a few 9-7 teams as the AFC is so strong and will be winning the non conference games. I think 9 wins is achievable IF Cardinals can beat Panthers, Bucs, Saints, Giants, Steelers, Browns, Falcons, 49ers and Seahawks.

Tim in NJ
We will win some of those games you listed if we continue to improve weekly & have no major injuries. That will put us at the "in the hunt" for a wildcard status later in the season. I'll take it for sure.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Had to bring this oldie but goody back.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Tim in NJ
We will win some of those games you listed if we continue to improve weekly & have no major injuries. That will put us at the "in the hunt" for a wildcard status later in the season. I'll take it for sure.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What playoff optimism?