Cardinals may use shotgun formation exclusively or close to it

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Since I started rooting for this team(1975), this team has had 12 winning season. 12. To put that into perspective, the Patriots currently have 18 consecutive winning seasons(and 6 Super Bowl championships) while we had at one time 23 consecutive non-winning seasons(2 seasons at .500) and it took us 33 years to have a double digit win season. Some of us have been fans that entire time and more so, yeah, to question our fandom on any level no matter how critical we are of the team is ridiculously stupid.

I started following them in 1963. They were actually pretty good. If there were wild card spots, the Cardinals would have made the playoffs a few times in the 60's:

1963 9-5 (Exceptional draft bolsters a solid season. Charley Johnson sets 4 team passing marks. Those records stood until Lomax breaks them in 1984. Not even Jim Hart under Coryell had a season like this one. WR Bobby Joe Conrad sets club records for passes caught (73), and total yards (967). Has 10 receiving touchdowns too!

1964 9-3-2 (Many may not know this, but before the season started, the Cardinals turned down an offer from the city of Atlanta to move the franchise there. Another blunder by Bill Bidwill for not taking them up on that. Due to the World Series, the Cardinals forego a home game in October & forced to play a very good Baltimore Colts team on the road instead. We lost that game. A win there & we're 10-2-2 & in the playoffs.

1965 5-9 (Namath spurns us for the Jets. Injuries to Charley Johnson, Larry Wilson, Larry Stovall, and both our RB's pretty much ruins the season.

1966 8-5-1 (Started 7-1-1, but star QB breaks his leg & the offense is non existent the rest of the way. They also lose WR Sonny Randle, CB Pat Fischer, and 3 starting O-linemen Bob DeMarco, Ken Gray, Irv Goode to injuries. This was a very good team that could have gone very deep into the playoffs)

1967 6-7-1 (Charley Johnson, starting QB & Larry Stallings, best LB, both inducted into the Army two days before their 1st preseason game. Wow, just wow!

1968 9-4-1 (After a 1-3 start, the Cardinals finish 8-1-1. Yet they still miss out on the playoffs. 9 Cardinals make the Pro Bowl, including 4/5 of their starting offensive linemen. Cardinals score 22 rushing touchdowns!! No team had ever or has ever had that many Pro Bowl players & NOT made the playoffs!! By season's end, this may have been the best team in the NFL.

1969 4-9-1 (11 starters lost due to injury)

So you younger fans now understand that injuries have pretty much always been a part of the Cardinals fortunes. The franchise was doomed in St. Louis, as the football team was always the red-headed stepchild to the baseball franchise. Bidwill screwed the pooch when he chose AZ over Baltimore without a guaranteed domed stadium in place. Until the new stadium was built, this franchise was forced to play 3-4 road games in September every year. No franchise could have won under those conditions. If they had moved to Baltimore they could have avoided almost 2 decades of futility in the desert.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
Since I started rooting for this team(1975), this team has had 12 winning season. 12. To put that into perspective, the Patriots currently have 18 consecutive winning seasons(and 6 Super Bowl championships) while we had at one time 23 consecutive non-winning seasons(2 seasons at .500) and it took us 33 years to have a double digit win season. Some of us have been fans that entire time and more so, yeah, to question our fandom on any level no matter how critical we are of the team is ridiculously stupid.
Me too started watching I'm 75 I think been a awful lot of heartbreak over them there years

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
As many have mentioned, not a surprise about the shotgun. He’s probably going to start Day 1 so not trying to make him learn to play under center in 3 months is wise move.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
KK's teams have always been shotgun-based. Murray is used to the shotgun as well. Many traditional NFL offenses are in the shotgun more than 70% of the time. It's a non-issue.

That said,I don't know why people keep saying Murray can't play under center. In the limited snaps he did it, there was no issue. Also displayed great footwork under center in his workouts and pro day. He is fluid and looks natural when dropping back, with his head scanning the field. Bootlegs with Murray would be deadly as well, so I expect to see a few. Maybe even some pistol which is kinda in between.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
KK makes a good point... 'Why have the rushers in your face when you drop back from center when you can have that extra second to survey the field'
KK knows offense and he just got the greatest weapon he could have ever asked for

Re: DJ - no matter who you are ...if you watched every game last season you saw DJ play with no heart. He wasn't breaking any tackles...his speed going out on routes was half ass. He cashed his paycheck and sat down. Does he have the potential...yea, but only time will tell if he can get his heart back in the game. My guess is if he doesn't prove value this year Cardinals will be trading him.

Keim hasn't done so well handing out the larger contracts

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So you younger fans now understand that injuries have pretty much always been a part of the Cardinals fortunes. The franchise was doomed in St. Louis, as the football team was always the red-headed stepchild to the baseball franchise. Bidwill screwed the pooch when he chose AZ over Baltimore without a guaranteed domed stadium in place. Until the new stadium was built, this franchise was forced to play 3-4 road games in September every year. No franchise could have won under those conditions. If they had moved to Baltimore they could have avoided almost 2 decades of futility in the desert.
I'd like to believe this but Bill Bidwill was never interested in winning. Even if we moved to Baltimore or if the Eagles moved to Phoenix and we moved into Philly, I don't believe our fortunes would have been any better. He just wanted a competitive team but not a championship team.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'd like to believe this but Bill Bidwill was never interested in winning. Even if we moved to Baltimore or if the Eagles moved to Phoenix and we moved into Philly, I don't believe our fortunes would have been any better. He just wanted a competitive team but not a championship team.
Bill just wanted MONEY
He could care less about winning
He charged his players for everything ...water bottles, shoes, pads and everything else the rest of the league gave to their players
He had the worst equipment, no massage people, no food dietary plan....he was a joke of an owner and it took Swann and Simeon Rice who called the Cardinals the arm pit of the NFL...it was after Rice Sports Illustrated and ESPN did articles and a show explaining how bad it was in AZ...and how Bill charged the players for everything that other teams gave away.
The only time this team got better is when he turned it over to Mike

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised that Delmar, Solar and BW, are still posting here. Thought they would be over with the Dolphins. They can post what they like, just don't call themselves Cardinals fans.

This is ridiculous. I never liked Rosen more than this team, I've been a diehard fan my entire life, and all because I'm not happy with the team's direction and anticipate another struggle of a year, I'm "not allowed to call myself a Cardinals fan?" Tell me how often you travel 600 miles to the stadium and back on Sundays and proclaim how big a fan you are.

Ridiculously offensive.

Beyond ridiculously offensive. Anyone questioning these posters love and commitment to the Cardinals should be ashamed. I ******* hate questioning someone's fanhood just because they are questioning something the organization does. Cowardly and childish response.

More than ashamed..... On notice. Posts like Garthshort are not welcome and bannings will be dealt if it happens again.

Please read the Cardinal rules of the site.

This is a warning to everyone.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
More than ashamed..... On notice. Posts like Garthshort are not welcome and bannings will be dealt if it happens again.

Please read the Cardinal rules of the site.

This is a warning to everyone.
This. A person can dislike things going on with their team and not be any less of a fan.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose