Cardinals may use shotgun formation exclusively or close to it

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by BullheadCardFan, May 26, 2019.

1. BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan Go for it Contributor

Cardinals may use shotgun formation exclusively or close to it

The infiltration of the college offense into the pro game continues, and that likely will result in another franchise embracing shotgun formation, most if not all of the time.

As Bob McManaman of the Arizona Republic explains it, the Cardinals are expected to rarely put quarterback Kyler Murray under center.

Coach Kliff Kingsbury initially was coy on the topic, but it became clear that he’s got no qualms about a shotgun-heavy approach.

Asked this week whether the team may spend 90 percent or more of its time with the center snapping the ball through the air to the quarterback, Kingsbury said, “I’m not sure.” He then elaborated in a way that suggested he is sure.

“That’s another thing we’re working through, to see what the best balance for us is,” Kingsbury said. “Last year, Kansas City was 80 percent-plus. They were decent on offense. Pretty good. So, we’ll see. Whatever fits our team best is what we’re going to do.”

What fits the team best is shotgun formation. It’s what Kingsbury used at Texas Tech, and it’s what Murray used at Oklahoma.

And it’s what Kingbury believes in. Here’s his answer when asked about the advantages and disadvantages of shotgun: “I’ve never seen disadvantages. Some people say there are. I don’t. . . . Some other people have theories about it, but I think you can do everything just as well from shotgun as you can under center.”

Kingsbury sees plenty of advantages to shotgun formation.

“It just eliminates having to get away from the center,” he said. “Those are big guys pushing back in your face right away. So you’re seeing a clearer picture sooner. Whereas when you’re under center, it takes a while to see the field and see that clear picture. To me, you’re able to see it clearer pre-snap and post-snap.”

To me, it’s becoming clearer that the Cardinals’ ratio of shotgun formation will be much higher than 80 percent.

daves likes this.
  2. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

This makes me concerned for David Johnson, to be honest. I don't think a RB gets enough steam or the opportunity to hit the hole correctly this way.

Not that DJ won't have his successes in other ways, I just have the horrible memories of Whisenhunt's offense handing the ball off in a little shotgun counter and it never producing more than 2 yards.

3. BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan Go for it Contributor

Especially when the Oline gets blown back into the backfield.

I do agree it will give the QB more of a chance to see the D and make adjustments prior to the snap.

4. LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...

Sounds like an admission that Stump Murray can’t play under center.

Delmar M Lewis likes this.
  5. RON_IN_OC

RON_IN_OC https://www.ronevansrealty.com

Thurman Thomas disagrees.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Solar7 likes this.
  6. ARZCardinals

ARZCardinals Registered

Concerned about a guy who only averaged 53 yards a game last season
    DJ is a has been
    Got his big money deal and sold out
    He ran with no heart
    Went down on tackles year prior he plowed through
    DJ is soon to be gone if he doesn’t wake up and play like he can.

Vacard likes this.
  7. LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...

This is total nonsense.

8. kerouac9

kerouac9 #Stiff4Kliff

Yikes. I’m the OG David Johnson skeptic, but I think we need to see what he does this year. It’s unlikely he meets or exceeds the production of 2016 ever again — which is one reason it was insane to extend him at that amount. That said, he’s probably better than last season when his DVOA was in the 40s. Oof.

He has to be a top 10 RB to keep justifying that contract. Unfortunately the Cards can’t really get out of this deal without dead money for another two years.

9. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

Don't worry pal, I think this whole team is gonna be a relative disaster, if that makes you feel any better.

He seems to be a fantastic person to me, and I hope he rebounds. Last year wasn't his fault, but most RBs have a limited shelf life.

Delmar M Lewis likes this.
  10. AZCB34

AZCB34 Registered User

This fits the idea that Kingsbury is going to build something Kyler is comfortable with rather than jamming the square peg into the round hole. Anyone who expected anything different is delusional. In fact, even if the Cards had kept Rosen I suspect the rate of shotgun would have gone up.

11. AZCB34

AZCB34 Registered User

I think we have seen the best of DJ but I feel like you have gone too far to the extreme. Keim should be looking to improve the RB room when players start getting cut

12. Veer

Veer Registered

Actually I think DJ is a good runner out of the shotgun. He has good vision and can set up defenders with his deceptive movement. He isn't a power back who excels in heavy sets, even if he's built like one. The QB keeper threat with Murray will keep defenders honest and allow the OL to get more aggressively after the defense. The spread formations will soften the box as well. When you add KK's usage of the RB in the passing gams, I see DJ having a great year. No worries about the shotgun.

CardsSunsDbacks, daves and Cardiac like this.
  13. Garthshort

Garthshort Registered User

I'm surprised that Delmar, Solar and BW, are still posting here. Thought they would be over with the Dolphins. They can post what they like, just don't call themselves Cardinals fans.

Vacard likes this.
  14. Ronin

Ronin ASFN Contributor Contributor

Well we do have a Chargers fan here posting about the Cardinals. So I guess they are allowed to stay.

Mainstreet likes this.
  15. slanidrac16

slanidrac16 Registered User Contributor

To much shotgun? Worried about DJ? Kareem Hunt didn’t seem to mind. Todd Gurley didn’t seem to mind. Tyreek Cohen didn’t seem to mind.

DJ was one of the biggest victims of a depleted o-line, and inept OC and an offense with no big play weapons. He was one of the few weapons we had on this team and our head coach was to dumb to use him especially in the passing game.

Put me in the corner of “ not worried about DJ”.

CardsSunsDbacks, daves and abcard like this.