Cardinals listed as favorites to land Antonio Brown

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Well, Brown missed a game because he walked out of practice, no-showed an MRI, no-showed for several days, then showed up on game day expecting to play but was denied. And this was THE most important game of the season: win and you may be in, lose and you're out. It devastated team morale and they played like caca poo poo.

AB is routinely late to meetings, goes ballistic on the sidelines when the ball isn't forced to him, and is on record that he's "Team AB". He doesn't even care about win-loss record, as long as he puts up his numbers. He isn't in the least a good teammate.

Actually, a 4th or 5th pick might be the MOST you'll get from them. Ed Bouchette is on the record here in the 'Burgh as having heard from NFL execs who quoted somewhere around a 5th for him, and that was before he bid Pittsburgh goodbye and starting making contract noises. More on that later. AB is making his own life more miserable day by day, making his trade value go down exponentially.

Yeah, no way in hell you'll have AB for $14 mill per season. He's already gone on record that he'll want to re-negotiate his deal after the trade. Think he'll not want a league record contract for WRs? Think he won't want to break the bank.

And in what world do we have both Brown and OBJ? Put down the crack pipe, my friend :)

No it doesn't. That got debunked a month or more ago. Closer to $7 mill in dead money.

No doubt Big Ben talks more on his radio show about other players than he should, and that he isn't the leader he could be in the locker room. Still, he's the star QB, and a WR is never going to outshine that. Bell? The Steelers bear some blame there, but there isn't the animosity toward him that there is toward AB. Bell wasn't under contract, and it's purely a business decision. Not the case with AB.

This all kicked off with AB when JuJu Smith-Schuster (sp?) was named team MVP. All his elevated antics began shortly after that happened, and have escalated mightily in the interim. He's a giant baby who just can't handle having another good receiver on the roster recognized ahead of him. Actually, that may be unfair. If he's seriously mentally ill, and falls into one of the personality clusters, as I suspect he does, he truly needs help. He has the money to get it, but not the wherewithal.

Lots of troubling stuff there. Thanks for posting Stout.

Why are wide-receivers the most koo koo of all position groups?

We've been pretty lucky, although Quan was a little out there, and David Boston was kind of a different cat.

But Terrell Owens, OBJ, Brown, Josh Gordon, Randy Moss, Dez Bryant, Michael Irving.. and that's a few off the top of my head, I'm sure there are some crazies that I missed. What is it about the WR spot that attracts those that are a little unhinged?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Lots of troubling stuff there. Thanks for posting Stout.

Why are wide-receivers the most koo koo of all position groups?

We've been pretty lucky, although Quan was a little out there, and David Boston was kind of a different cat.

But Terrell Owens, OBJ, Brown, Josh Gordon, Randy Moss, Dez Bryant, Michael Irving.. and that's a few off the top of my head, I'm sure there are some crazies that I missed. What is it about the WR spot that attracts those that are a little unhinged?
because its the one on one position on offense. they are always head up and have to beat another guy. RB's have the line opening holes, QB's are protected...just a different mentality at WR...much like a badass PG in the NBA

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The devil is in the details: Brown’s contract makes it hard for Pittsburgh to deal him.

• Any deal involving Brown would have to take place by March 17. He’s due a $2.5 million roster bonus — something Pittsburgh will not want to eat.
  • Even if Brown were dealt prior to Macrh 17, the Steelers would take an $8 million dead money hit. What’s the value in that?
  • Based on the a dead cap hit, Pittsburgh might ask for a premium in return. Given that Brown's value has been lowered due to a recent off-field issue, this could be to the Steelers' advantage.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/arti...nt_give_in_to_antonio_brown/s1_12680_28449095

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Brown has caught at least 101 passes for at least 1,284 yards with at least eight touchdowns the past six years running. He’s clearly one of the league’s best all-around receivers, if not the best.

Yet, as Bouchette detailed in his column, Brown does bring some heavy baggage. In addition to some off-field issues, he’s been a real problem inside Pittsburgh’s locker room.

https://sportsnaut.com/2019/02/antonio-brown-rumors-shocking-low-trade-value/

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The devil is in the details: Brown’s contract makes it hard for Pittsburgh to deal him.

• Any deal involving Brown would have to take place by March 17. He’s due a $2.5 million roster bonus — something Pittsburgh will not want to eat.
  • Even if Brown were dealt prior to Macrh 17, the Steelers would take an $8 million dead money hit. What’s the value in that?
  • Based on the a dead cap hit, Pittsburgh might ask for a premium in return. Given that Brown's value has been lowered due to a recent off-field issue, this could be to the Steelers' advantage.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/arti...nt_give_in_to_antonio_brown/s1_12680_28449095

This is a terrible take. 8 mill isn't bad at all to get rid of a headache. How in the hell is Brown's value being lowered due to off-field issues (plural, not singular, like in the article) be an advantage that will help the Steelers get a "premium?" It's quite the opposite.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/16/anton...rger-has-owner-mentality-and-rips-tomlin/amp/

Antonio Brown’s laundry list of issues with the Pittsburgh Steelers appears to include a problem with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger’s leadership style and how head coach Mike Tomlin treated the Pro Bowl wide receiver during the regular-season finale against Cincinnati.

Tomlin bears blame for allowing AB to do pretty much whatever he wanted before finally putting his foot down when enough became enough. That's his cross to bear. But AB complaining about his treatment for the last game of the season is like me complaining if I'm fired after skipping work without calling in for half the week for no reason at all: idiotic and narcissistic.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
This is a terrible take. 8 mill isn't bad at all to get rid of a headache. How in the hell is Brown's value being lowered due to off-field issues (plural, not singular, like in the article) be an advantage that will help the Steelers get a "premium?" It's quite the opposite.

I agree that $8 million isn’t that much for them to eat if they truly just want him gone, as for other part I think they are saying that his off field trouble will give the Steelers the advantage in keeping him because the article is about not giving in to Brown, they can always claim it was ABs own fault they couldn’t get fair market value so couldn’t trade him.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I think these are all reasons why PIT has no leverage at all in a potential deal. Supposedly Art Rooney II is scheduled to meet with Brown, I can't see a reconciliation taking place but who knows.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Well, Brown missed a game because he walked out of practice, no-showed an MRI, no-showed for several days, then showed up on game day expecting to play but was denied. And this was THE most important game of the season: win and you may be in, lose and you're out. It devastated team morale and they played like caca poo poo.

AB is routinely late to meetings, goes ballistic on the sidelines when the ball isn't forced to him, and is on record that he's "Team AB". He doesn't even care about win-loss record, as long as he puts up his numbers. He isn't in the least a good teammate.

Actually, a 4th or 5th pick might be the MOST you'll get from them. Ed Bouchette is on the record here in the 'Burgh as having heard from NFL execs who quoted somewhere around a 5th for him, and that was before he bid Pittsburgh goodbye and starting making contract noises. More on that later. AB is making his own life more miserable day by day, making his trade value go down exponentially.

Yeah, no way in hell you'll have AB for $14 mill per season. He's already gone on record that he'll want to re-negotiate his deal after the trade. Think he'll not want a league record contract for WRs? Think he won't want to break the bank.

And in what world do we have both Brown and OBJ? Put down the crack pipe, my friend :)

No it doesn't. That got debunked a month or more ago. Closer to $7 mill in dead money.

No doubt Big Ben talks more on his radio show about other players than he should, and that he isn't the leader he could be in the locker room. Still, he's the star QB, and a WR is never going to outshine that. Bell? The Steelers bear some blame there, but there isn't the animosity toward him that there is toward AB. Bell wasn't under contract, and it's purely a business decision. Not the case with AB.

This all kicked off with AB when JuJu Smith-Schuster (sp?) was named team MVP. All his elevated antics began shortly after that happened, and have escalated mightily in the interim. He's a giant baby who just can't handle having another good receiver on the roster recognized ahead of him. Actually, that may be unfair. If he's seriously mentally ill, and falls into one of the personality clusters, as I suspect he does, he truly needs help. He has the money to get it, but not the wherewithal.

Talking about the Steelers cap hit if traded. 20+ mil.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I agree that $8 million isn’t that much for them to eat if they truly just want him gone, as for other part I think they are saying that his off field trouble will give the Steelers the advantage in keeping him because the article is about not giving in to Brown, they can always claim it was ABs own fault they couldn’t get fair market value so couldn’t trade him.
Then he conveniently gets a " hammy" injury next season and sits out all year because its nagging.
If their time is over the Steelers need to cut ties... Brown has all the leverage if they force him to stay.
Pittsburgh is bluffing if they claim they will just keep him

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Pittsburgh has had a few down years of late but they are still never a push over and are seen as a contender. This tells me that while having a perceived divided locker room between players/coaches and front office has negative connotations, the Steelers extended success shows how being 'dysfunctional' is overblown when some franchises like Seattle thrive in that environment. I think their current state of affairs is more of Tomlin wearing out his welcome which happens to most coaches who have a strong personality, no matter their success... unless you are a guy like Pete Carroll who has a remarkable way of always landing on his feet salvaging his leadership skills again and again, with a front office which can stay in sync with him

Last edited:

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
And it is part of a trend where he is destroying his own trade value. He apparently looked and acted high as a kite that week. The Steelers are going nuts because his idiotic behavior is making it ever harder for him to get his wish--a trade. His value is PLUMMETING. Who is going to offer much for someone claiming he's done in Pittsburgh? For someone with a decent contract who flaps his gums about wanting a new deal? His infatuation with his own social media cult of personality is ruining his job at the moment, making it less likely he'll get what he wants. Talk around here is that he may only pull a 4th or 5th round pick in exchange. What's he going to do if the Steelers look at the return and just tell him to suck it up and stay?

At least he has changed his mind and decided to have a sit down with Mr. Rooney. I guess he's not completely insane...yet.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

No touch-o with ten foot pole-o.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
because its the one on one position on offense. they are always head up and have to beat another guy. RB's have the line opening holes, QB's are protected...just a different mentality at WR...much like a badass PG in the NBA
Their most similar comp on the field is likely cb where they’re on an island. Similarly we find some of the biggest egos at that position too.

Stout

Reaction score

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Yep. Tons of bad reporting that only piggy backs off of more bad reporting. The actual number is around 8 million dollars. I live in Steeler territory full of NFL experts that know the team and the cap intimately. They CONSTANTLY bitch about how the national media keeps getting this ridiculously wrong. That's an untradeable contract; in reality, it is anything but.

That is only if they trade him after June 1st which would stretch his dead money over two years. Also they wouldn’t get a draft pick from this year’s draft.

Otherwise it’s 21m for 2019.

Stout

Reaction score
That is only if they trade him after June 1st which would stretch his dead money over two years. Also they wouldn’t get a draft pick from this year’s draft.

Otherwise it’s 21m for 2019.

*Shrug* If you say so. I'll believe the experts in Pittsburgh with intimate knowledge of NFL cap economics and the Steelers both. We'll let it play out. I'm betting he's traded before they have to pay him the bonus, and they won't have 21 million in dead money. That is, if he hasn't blabbed himself out of trade value.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heard on one show the Steelers would be lucky to get a 3rd round but more likely a 4th round. If we were to get him what would we be on the hook for cap wise if he were to sit/hold out next year?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson