Cardinals' Defensive Framework and OC Search

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Too much dead cap space to cut him this year, I think they'll pay him for two more years and deal with it. They may talk him into a pay cut if they can convince him they have a deep playoff run in them with the mo0ney he gives them back.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Too much dead cap space to cut him this year, I think they'll pay him for two more years and deal with it. They may talk him into a pay cut if they can convince him they have a deep playoff run in them with the mo0ney he gives them back.
if they dont cut him the first week of March we are looking at something like $29mil guaranteed to him over the next couple seasons....a few million in dead money, with some cap savings..right now,...is way better than the 13-14mil cap hit he will be later...which will also be dead money if we cut him then since it will be guaranteed.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
if they dont cut him the first week of March we are looking at something like $29mil guaranteed to him over the next couple seasons....a few million in dead money, with some cap savings..right now,...is way better than the 13-14mil cap hit he will be later...which will also be dead money if we cut him then since it will be guaranteed.

I don't even think a minor paycut will keep him safe for that reason. He's gone.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I don't even think a minor paycut will keep him safe for that reason. He's gone.
that contract has to be voided...so either a complete restructure or a cut...that is our only options... or trade, but everyone has convinced me nobody will trade for him

too bad we couldnt trade him to KC for Smith, lol.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

Close to 10 mil in dead money is a bit more than a few. I think you just bite the bullet and deal with his 14 mil cap hit over the next 2 years.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Close to 10 mil in dead money is a bit more than a few. I think you just bite the bullet and deal with his 14 mil cap hit over the next 2 years.
I thought it was 6mil in dead money... I dunno... better than guaranteeing him 30 mil over the next couple years. on a bad deal sooner or later you have to cut your losses. The best time for us is now.
if we dont, we really CANT cut him for the next couple of years

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No freaking way. That puts an average at best nickel back at what... 10% of our cap?

They gotta take their medicine now and be done with it.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mccoy would be the absolute worst hire...dude gets fired everywhere he goes. I'm guessing the #1 target is Flip, and it's being kept quiet on purpose. I kind of wish Caldwell was under more consideration...he would be a good 2nd option, especially compared to Mccoy and Bevell.
Some coordinators get "fired" because they are scapegoats.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Mccoy would be the absolute worst hire...dude gets fired everywhere he goes. I'm guessing the #1 target is Flip, and it's being kept quiet on purpose. I kind of wish Caldwell was under more consideration...he would be a good 2nd option, especially compared to Mccoy and Bevell.
Caldwell cannot create a good run game. McCoy can. Wilks want to run. That’s not Caldwell’s strength

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
No freaking way. That puts an average at best nickel back at what... 10% of our cap?

They gotta take their medicine now and be done with it.

I don't disagree with you, I guess I should have put that is what I think the cards will do. I hope HB realizes that his salary will hurt us in the long run and take a pay cut.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't disagree with you, I guess I should have put that is what I think the cards will do. I hope HB realizes that his salary will hurt us in the long run and take a pay cut.

Agree with that.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Doubt HB will. Cut him and move on. Stupid decision to pay him what they did IMO.