Cardinals are releasing CB Chris Jones

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Let's not kid ourselves about what Chris Jones is. 4th CB on a depth chart that isn't accounting for two additional CBs, one who is suspended and one who is on IR.

Patrick Peterson (suspended)
Byron Murphy
Robert Alford (IR)
Trumaine Brock
Kevin Peterson
Chris Jones (guy we got rid of)

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Let's not kid ourselves about what Chris Jones is. 4th CB on a depth chart that isn't accounting for two additional CBs, one who is suspended and one who is on IR.

Patrick Peterson (suspended)
Byron Murphy
Robert Alford (IR)
Trumaine Brock
Kevin Peterson
Chris Jones (guy we got rid of)

Chopper, nobody's fooling themselves thinking the dude is the second coming of Aeneas, but there's something to be said about continuity at this level. What now? Another NFL castoff who'll be no better than Chris, with a limited window to learn the playbook, and mesh with his new teammates? I'll gladly pass on that kind of nonsense.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Chopper, nobody's fooling themselves thinking the dude is the second coming of Aeneas, but there's something to be said about continuity at this level. What now? Another NFL castoff who'll be no better than Chris, with a limited window to learn the playbook, and mesh with his new teammates? I'll gladly pass on that kind of nonsense.
Meh...what continuity are we keeping with a 4th CB? We added someone who has started 27 games by the age of 26, has 3 ints, and 22 passes defensed. His productivity is significantly better than what we gave up in Chris Jones.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jones raised the proverbial "floor" of the CB room, but didn't do enough to raise its ceiling.

I hope we keep him on the PS. Decent corners are hard to come by.

Last edited:

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Meh...what continuity are we keeping with a 4th CB? We added someone who has started 27 games by the age of 26, has 3 ints, and 22 passes defensed. His productivity is significantly better than what we gave up in Chris Jones.

Fair enough. I just don't think he deserved that fate. We'll see how this works out, but right now we're akin to a bum rummaging through the trash.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. I just don't think he deserved that fate. We'll see how this works out, but right now we're akin to a bum rummaging through the trash.

Or throw enough mud at the wall and hope some of it sticks.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I liked what I saw from Chris Jones.

As sad as this sounds, he played about as well as any depth corner the Cardinals have had over the years.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

As sad as this sounds, he played about as well as any depth corner the Cardinals have had over the years.

Krang, they don't hear you though! "He was just a guy", We're not losing anything by cutting him". The kid had some promise IMO. And he was just that, a kid. Hell, he deserves way more of a shot than Brandon Williams got! When is the last time we developed a young corner into something productive?? Castoffs and retreads since the last "good" corner we had, Antonio Cromartie. I'm through with it man! I just want stability at the position if nothing else!!! It's always PP and ?? when looking at our roster.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

He started 1 game out of 5 per https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JoneCh06.htm and only had one pass defensed. That is a meh. Trumaine brock and Byron Murphy. in two games, Kevin Peterson also has one pass defensed. Chris Jones made it to the practice squad because he is nothing special at this point in time.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Krang, they don't hear you though! "He was just a guy", We're not losing anything by cutting him". The kid had some promise IMO. And he was just that, a kid. Hell, he deserves way more of a shot than Brandon Williams got! When is the last time we developed a young corner into something productive?? Castoffs and retreads since the last "good" corner we had, Antonio Cromartie. I'm through with it man! I just want stability at the position if nothing else!!! It's always PP and ?? when looking at our roster.

The guy they signed from the Chargers has already shown to be a good corner though and Kevin Peterson is looking good as well.

As much criticism as we've all leveled at Keim, he did a fairly good job addressing corner this year. The Cardinals are about as deep as I can remember at CB. While I like Jones, he did get supplanted by Kevin Peterson.

Byron Murphy is the truth. Best young corner I've seen with the Cardinals. Peterson wasnt as good his rookie year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA