Cardinals announce they have released Hopkins - Signed with Titans

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Post draft and free agency that tracks historically. Guys available now are taking bargain deals.

My guess is Hopkins takes a 3-4 year deal that minimizes the impact of year 1 but also gives him an out after year 1.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Teams arent tripping over themselves to sign him with out draft compensation. But some on this board think we could of got draft compensation for him smfh
Here we go. Knew it wouldn't be long before the uninformed posts started coming out of the woodwork. There's a world of difference between trading a player before FA and the draft and a guy looking for a big payday well after both. Also a world of difference if the team would be willing to take on some of the financial burden. You'd think the board could appreciate the nuance. But, hey, we as fans aren't allowed to expect much of our team smh

netsnjkidd

Veteran
Reaction score
Guy has been a free agent for a whopping (checks calendar) two days.
Let's give Nuk a top 15 wrs at worst. Are we to believe any other top 15 wrs even with his same contract situation wouldn't of had a verbal commitment before being officially released. If steelers released diontae johnson he would been on a new team immediately.

netsnjkidd

Veteran
Reaction score
Here we go. Knew it wouldn't be long before the uninformed posts started coming out of the woodwork. There's a world of difference between trading a player before FA and the draft and a guy looking for a big payday well after both. Also a world of difference if the team would be willing to take on some of the financial burden. You'd think the board could appreciate the nuance. But, hey, we as fans aren't allowed to expect much of our team smh
We can expect much from the team. If teams says they couldn't find away to get a trade done. Release Nuk last week who still without a team and now Nuk is going away from his so call preferred options to maybe the Texans. Maybe they really couldn't get trade done that works for both sides. The cardinals should not eat some of his contract for what a 6th rd pick no way

Stout

Reaction score
We can expect much from the team. If teams says they couldn't find away to get a trade done. Release Nuk last week who still without a team and now Nuk is going away from his so call preferred options to maybe the Texans. Maybe they really couldn't get trade done that works for both sides. The cardinals should not eat some of his contract for what a 6th rd pick no way
Why? It's not our money. Might show some commitment, Mikey being willing to purchase draft capital. Also, this is June. Monti had a very public stance back earlier in the offseason that we were holding out for high compensation. How'd that work out for us? It's almost like, by the time it was too late and he had to scramble to try to make a lower-value deal, there were no more takers left. Very reactive and out of touch with the market, for my money.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Why? It's not our money. Might show some commitment, Mikey being willing to purchase draft capital. Also, this is June. Monti had a very public stance back earlier in the offseason that we were holding out for high compensation. How'd that work out for us? It's almost like, by the time it was too late and he had to scramble to try to make a lower-value deal, there were no more takers left. Very reactive and out of touch with the market, for my money.
And that's kind of okay, right? We have a young, inexperienced, third-choice front office and coaching staff. These guys don't know all the ropes and are underqualified for their current roles.

They're going to make mistakes. It's not ideal, but that's what's going to happen. One of the good points of a lost season is that we'll be able to learn a lot about what works and what doesn't, and screwing it up only gets us closer to the goal of a high draft pick in 2024.

I know I would've been mad about anything less than a third rounder (I might've said second in March -- I think there was a poll or thread about it), but even a third-round choice is a scratch-off with a 25% chance you get anything of value.

Stout

Reaction score
And that's kind of okay, right? We have a young, inexperienced, third-choice front office and coaching staff. These guys don't know all the ropes and are underqualified for their current roles.

They're going to make mistakes. It's not ideal, but that's what's going to happen. One of the good points of a lost season is that we'll be able to learn a lot about what works and what doesn't, and screwing it up only gets us closer to the goal of a high draft pick in 2024.

I know I would've been mad about anything less than a third rounder (I might've said second in March -- I think there was a poll or thread about it), but even a third-round choice is a scratch-off with a 25% chance you get anything of value.
Whoa, I'd say that's kinda not okay. I have zero interest in having a new FO that doesn't know what they're doing making mistakes that will cost this team in the long run. I'm hearing a lot of talk about how we're really only going to start this rebuild next year, which is scary. What's scarier are the number of posters completely fine with that. Why are people okay with just pushing our timeline for being good again an extra year? We already have a wasted year coming up; why have another?

I guess maybe we should've gone with someone that had more pedigree and nous. This isn't on-the-job training time, or shouldn't be.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Yeah, it's probably best not to compare an NFL team with your little league team if you want to be taken seriously.

I’m going to shift gears for a moment and talk about my days playing little league baseball. Between the years 1999 and 2002, each small town in the region I grew up in had their own team(s), but only the team(s) from one of those small towns won the championship year in and year out, while the rest of us were competing for second place, sometimes third.
I have never felt older than I do right now. Literally.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Post draft and free agency that tracks historically. Guys available now are taking bargain deals.

My guess is Hopkins takes a 3-4 year deal that minimizes the impact of year 1 but also gives him an out after year 1.
If he gets a three to four year deal, it will be more like obj's deal, where it's the team with the out after 1 year not necessarily the player.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

A guy who (checks notes) was previously a director of player personnel is under qualified for his current role? What a nonsense take.

What's hilarious is that you continue to harp on this release when pretty much every article now and every source at the time indicates the Cardinals weren't even getting a third rounder earlier, and recently the Cardinals were willing to take anything...and they weren't any takers.

I wouldn't be excited about the Cardinals taking on a 31 year old receiver who has missed substantial time, has a huge salary, and doesn't regularly practice.

This is how demented this view is. Hopkins wasn't getting the Cardinals any good draft capital.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Whoa, I'd say that's kinda not okay. I have zero interest in having a new FO that doesn't know what they're doing making mistakes that will cost this team in the long run. I'm hearing a lot of talk about how we're really only going to start this rebuild next year, which is scary. What's scarier are the number of posters completely fine with that. Why are people okay with just pushing our timeline for being good again an extra year? We already have a wasted year coming up; why have another?

I guess maybe we should've gone with someone that had more pedigree and nous. This isn't on-the-job training time, or shouldn't be.

It's fun to be an armchair GM and Trust the Process from March to September. You're moving pieces around, doing math, coming up with fake trades, crowing about how you "control the 2024 draft."

We haven't experienced the level of planned futility we're about to experience in a long time. I think we're gonna be, like, 2010 Cardinals bad. The 2012 team was probably even worse, but they won the first four games (three of them by a total of nine points). Nine-game losing streak.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
A guy who (checks notes) was previously a director of player personnel is under qualified for his current role? What a nonsense take.

What's hilarious is that you continue to harp on this release when pretty much every article now and every source at the time indicates the Cardinals weren't even getting a third rounder earlier, and recently the Cardinals were willing to take anything...and they weren't any takers.

I wouldn't be excited about the Cardinals taking on a 31 year old receiver who has missed substantial time, has a huge salary, and doesn't regularly practice.

This is how demented this view is. Hopkins wasn't getting the Cardinals any good draft capital.
For three years under a GM who got fired? And he didn't get an interview to move up? Even Adrian Wilson got an interview in this job. Monti was so experienced in the role one of the first things he did after getting the job was tamper.

The only real reporting on the Hopkins release is the Albert Breer report that's been aggregated multiple times and reposted here like there's new reporting. Here's the quote:

Arizona’s initial asking price was a second-round pick and another asset, but by the end, it was willing to part with him for a lot less than that. And my sense is it’d have considered picking up a chunk of his salary (obviously the higher the pick, the more it might give) to get, say, a top-100 pick. But, again, there simply wasn’t interest in paying Hopkins top dollar and giving up a Day 2 draft pick for him.

All that's left is Hopkins slander.

netsnjkidd

Veteran
Reaction score
Isnt that what you should do tho? Hold out for the highest compensation. We all thought Nuk should get us a 2nd or 3rd. If Monti would of settled for 6th rd pick by draft we would of all wanted Monti gone. Holdout for the highest compensation if no one bites lower your asking price. If its a 6th rd pick or cap space. Take the cap space atleast with cap space you can get a guaranteed starter. A 6th rd pick becoming a starter is what 20% chance of happening.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has Hopkins ever released his personal findings from his independent investigation into his failed PED test?

Just checking since he said it was to be released soon...

Hmmm...

Stout

Reaction score

SMH Insulting and goal post moving. If you can, with a straight face, type that at no time could the Cards get any draft capital for him, it'll give me a good chuckle. Because it started as "Stop complaining because we couldn't get any draft capital for him" and it's become "well, we couldn't get any GOOD draft capital for him." C'mon man.

Stout

Reaction score
Isnt that what you should do tho? Hold out for the highest compensation. We all thought Nuk should get us a 2nd or 3rd. If Monti would of settled for 6th rd pick by draft we would of all wanted Monti gone. Holdout for the highest compensation if no one bites lower your asking price. If its a 6th rd pick or cap space. Take the cap space atleast with cap space you can get a guaranteed starter. A 6th rd pick becoming a starter is what 20% chance of happening.
This is called being reactive and not proactive. Sure, initially you try to get the best you can. What you don't do is wait until the market is completely dried up before you finally admit you can take a low offer. And now we're poo pooing getting compensation because the chances are low of drafting a starter? I mean, what? Are we that desperate to defend Monti straight up cutting the guy without compensation? This is the defense, that, well, 6th rounders only net you a starter 20 percent of the time?

Bottom line: Monti holding out for the highest compensation got us no compensation. That is inarguable. Everything else is just noise.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yeah. I think Monti botched this. That said, when you hire a person with no experience in the role, these things can happen. It is very different being the person who gives input on the decisions vs being the guy who makes the decisions. This is the learning curve. Whether Monti will learn from this and handle it better will determine if he is successful in his role.

Same with free agency. Easy to not give large contracts because it ensures you don't sign FA busts. Flip side, top players get paid top dollars.

Same with the draft. As much acclaim as Monti got for trading back in the draft, if he continues to pass on top picks to accumulate more picks or future picks, he runs the risk of creating a roster lacking in top talent.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
For three years under a GM who got fired? And he didn't get an interview to move up? Even Adrian Wilson got an interview in this job. Monti was so experienced in the role one of the first things he did after getting the job was tamper.

The only real reporting on the Hopkins release is the Albert Breer report that's been aggregated multiple times and reposted here like there's new reporting. Here's the quote:

All that's left is Hopkins slander.
Cool story. That doesn't at all undermine the idea that teams weren't willing to even give up a day two picks for him. 4th round or later wouldn't be worth taking on the salary.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Oh but it is cap money. That 9 mil can sign at least two starting players next year. I know you said 9 mil is scrub money, but the two players, you wanted to keep this year, cap hit is under 9 mil for both of them for next season.

Stout

Reaction score
Cool story. That doesn't at all undermine the idea that teams weren't willing to even give up a day two picks for him. 4th round or later wouldn't be worth taking on the salary.
Now. They weren't willing to do that at this point of time. The same reports you reference also claim Monti was looking for top compensation back when there was a much bigger market for him.

Stout

Reaction score
Oh but it is cap money. That 9 mil can sign at least two starting players next year. I know you said 9 mil is scrub money, but the two players, you wanted to keep this year, cap hit is under 9 mil for both of them for next season.
Why push that money to next year? Eat it this year and take the draft pick.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Why push that money to next year? Eat it this year and take the draft pick.
Again 9 mil is half if you "eat that", its not available next year. This year it just roils over. It would have cost more towards the cap if they paid the whatever millions and got back a whatever pick. IMO that is not good business.

Stout

Reaction score
Any you still never responded to the 9 mil being scrub money, but yet your two dudes cap hit for next season is less than 9 mil combined.
I haven't looked at the numbers. If we could get two young players for that number, however, it makes Monti an even bigger FA choker for not securing some of the talent out there for our team's future.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Let's give Nuk a top 15 wrs at worst. Are we to believe any other top 15 wrs even with his same contract situation wouldn't of had a verbal commitment before being officially released. If steelers released diontae johnson he would been on a new team immediately.
No. Sorry, no.