Cardinals announce they have released Hopkins - Signed with Titans

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

But Bidwill apparently didn’t want to cut Hopkins another check, not after the way last season ended.

So the Cardinals are letting him leave and getting nothing in return except a $22.6 million cap hit this season. The Cardinals couldn’t spread that over two years via a post-June 1 release destination, because J.J. Watt and Rodney Hudson already had taken those two slots.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

But Bidwill apparently didn’t want to cut Hopkins another check, not after the way last season ended.

So the Cardinals are letting him leave and getting nothing in return except a $22.6 million cap hit this season. The Cardinals couldn’t spread that over two years via a post-June 1 release destination, because J.J. Watt and Rodney Hudson already had taken those two slots.
Somers no longer writes for The Republic??

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

2nd paragraph highlights one of Keim’s failures. No flexibility whatsoever.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

If Hopkins really healthy scratched himself the last 2 games, then I probably wouldn't want to keep paying him, either.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
If nothing changes by Tuesday that means the Cardinals may have played chicken with the NFL’s other teams and lost (I know that sounds ornithologically wrong). If they haven’t changed the rules once Hopkins played a game the Cards were on the hook for his $9 mil salary. The option was to hold fast, hoping for a WR injury that would lead to a significant draft choice trade. It’s true it was a gamble. Bidwill would have to man up and risk the $9 mil, if he has it. If the injury happened the prorated salary would have moved to the acquiring team. The Cards would have been even stronger in 2024. Worst case scenario, Murray would have had a fair shot at success with a solid receiving corps.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Apples to oranges imo. We don't know what is said behind closed doors. It's possible that hop asked for this and Baker has been told something that made him happy. Or Baker could be next.. who knows. I certainly don't but anything Said is premature, again imo.
The old “we don’t know” argument.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Don’t get me started on how they are doing Christian Kirk 2.0 this season. Dude is going to be only legit target and put up huge numbers in a contract year and will command a 20 mil contract.
People are extremely excited about the cap flexibility we’ll have until the moment Hollywood Brown signs a new contract.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If nothing changes by Tuesday that means the Cardinals may have played chicken with the NFL’s other teams and lost (I know that sounds ornithologically wrong). If they haven’t changed the rules once Hopkins played a game the Cards were on the hook for his $9 mil salary. The option was to hold fast, hoping for a WR injury that would lead to a significant draft choice trade. It’s true it was a gamble. Bidwill would have to man up and risk the $9 mil, if he has it. If the injury happened the prorated salary would have moved to the acquiring team. The Cards would have been even stronger in 2024. Worst case scenario, Murray would have had a fair shot at success with a solid receiving corps.
Confused on salary you say $9 million isn't it $19 Million??? That is a big difference.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

After weeks of speculation and the Cardinals unable to find a trade partner, Hopkins was released on Friday.
The Cardinals will absorb a dead salary cap hit of $21 million in 2023, but he will be cleared from the books after that. (They could declare him a June 1 cut, which would allow them to spread the hit evenly over this season and next if they choose.)
Bull ish. Even a 7th rounder, with the other team taking on cap burden, would've been better than this ish show. I guess we're Osseneffed all over again.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
My guess is he doesn’t fit the character profile of the new staff, plus the cash. I mean it’s like he blames the cards for him taking php and missing 1/2.the season , helped get the old coach/ gm fired as much as anything. KM ain’t fighting much for him, after all the hoopla about how much say he had in the draft.