Cardinals announce they have released Hopkins - Signed with Titans

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Everyone on this board knows that a lack of accountability go the Cardinals into this situation, and there are still people on here who want to continue to not hold people accountable. Kind of amazing.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
How do you know he didn't ask for it? I reports have led to him wanting out so it's possible they just honored his request. He can still be traded as this transition doesn't take place until Tuesday. But hey maybe your right??!
Budda wants out too. How is this different?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
The more I think about it the more I wonder if there's more to the story

Draft came and went, Gannon said Dhop was Cardinal - Dhop hinted he was staying

The June 1st thing couldn't have been the only motivation as the clock had not run out

This leads me to believe that not only had all trade possibilities been exhausted - but also something may have recently happened internally

Beef or some type of friction. With who? Who knows? But last I checked there were 31 days in May
If the report is true, though, that this won't be official until Tuesday the 30th, if they are truly just trying to jumpstart a trade offer like Raiders did the Hudson, waiting until Tuesday or Wednesday would have been cutting it too close. At least now, they have the weekend (Cards and Hop) to work out a possible trade and new contract with new team.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Cardinals played tough before the draft and are now stuck with zero options. They stepped into n their own dick as they are prone to do.

They shopped him and permitted Dhop to seek a trade.

It's not difficult to imagine that it came down to additional cost beyond the Cap hit for the Cards and fit for Dhop.

Team-A (contender): interested if the Cards pick a portion of the salary. Add this to the $22m Cap hit, and the Cards are virtually paying his Cap hit in 2023 for, at best, a mid-draft lotto ticket. For one, I'd rather have 2023 Cap space that rolls over into 2024.

Team-B (non-contender): interested and more willing to take on the DHop deal, possibly subject to a redo, but DHop makes it known that he isn't interested in playing for them at this point in his career. Given this, they pass.

Now... tell us what you'd have done and with whom?

P.S. I don't think the lack of Cap out there is the problem some envisage. DHop, at a minimum, wants his $19.5m in 2023. A contending team can sign him for $20m with three voidable years and bring him in at a $5m Cap charge in 2023.

Last edited:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kyle Odegard

The Cardinals are tanking, and that's a good thing. Take your medicine in 2023 and try to rejoin the chase in 2024 with a healthy Kyler + myriad draft picks + cap space.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Budda wants out too. How is this different?
Apples to oranges imo. We don't know what is said behind closed doors. It's possible that hop asked for this and Baker has been told something that made him happy. Or Baker could be next.. who knows. I certainly don't but anything Said is premature, again imo.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There aren’t many Cardinal fans left to care. There are some players fans have interest in, but the franchise is irrelevant.

I'd like to say something more encouraging but it appears to be all about the 2024 NFL Draft.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My gas probably about 30% or even half of it but with that said it would be a lesser cap hit and you at least have some return

Not much of a saving. A-third of Dhop's 2023 salary, plus the $22m 'dead' money hit and you're close to the $30m he's on the books for in 2023, as it stands.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
hmmm…. It’s not like Dhop was part of the rebuild plan, and you don’t want a malcontent messing up the new leadership’s vibe, but I was secretly hoping he would ball out this year and give us some momentum going into 2024. He was so good when he was healthy.

No room for divas on this version of the Cardinals I guess. Sucks for us, but purely from an entertainment standpoint.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The only thing I can wildly speculate on is that teams want him, but not at his price. Cards won't eat money, and Hopkins wants them to. They realize they can't get what they want or almost anything with Hopkins $$$ demands and are just bailing before June 1st hampers next year.

Under such a scenario, it would be reality check time for Hopkins. Either cut your salary to facilitate a trade or find out what you're worth on the open market. But, we're telling you, you aren't going to get what you think you will, and this is the way you get the most. Either way, we're out.

But if he signs a pretty big deal (say 2yrs 20-25 mill?), then it's going to make the front office look like Pikers.

They have to know that, right? Nah, probably not.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose