Cardinals announce they have released Hopkins - Signed with Titans

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
hopefully a Hudson type trade will happen before Tuesday. Maybe Buffalo feels the need to pony up before another team jumps in. Be a shame to get jack squat.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
this is the way
Kyler has a 100 passer rating the last two years with Hopkins on the field.

I was slowly buying into the idea that the Cards want to finish the season strong when Kyler returns. He's clearly much better with Hopkins than without.

Maybe reactionary, but Im starting to think this Caleb Williams (or Maye) + Marvin Harrison Jr stuff is real.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Outside looking in, not all that surprising

That last interview was fairly telling about what he wanted and where he wanted to be.

A lot of dialogue on if he was putting down the QB or not, as he seemed to take both angles there - but it seemed he was pretty clear on the organization

With a new staff coming in you can't have a veteran being actively resistant to everything

Not the same type of player, but when Pete Carroll first got to Seattle cut TJ Housh.... That was closer to the season and they tried to trade him as well, but he was making a show of not buying in and was sent on his way

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to say I was on the fence on whether to pay for Sunday Ticket on youtube next year and I'm still not decided. I've been through terrible seasons before and tanking a year to get 2 very high draft picks makes sense. I'm just not sure I want to pay several hundred dollars to watch it happen?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Well, this is misery inducing that we couldn't get anything for him, barring this concept about Tuesday and forcing teams to make a trade if they're gonna do it.

From a more pragmatic standpoint, I get it. This team isn't expected to win anything, but good god I hope we don't get some kind of awful penalty for tanking.

Kyler's knee is going to be a little extra sore well into January, I bet.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Many many months ago, there were rumors of Hopkins to LA Chargers. They are up against the cap seriously, so everyone ignored the rumors. What was interesting is multiple people back then were saying rumor around the league was Hopkins would be released by Cards when it was all said and done. Of course everyone thought that was silly like 3-4 months ago.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Well, this is misery inducing that we couldn't get anything for him, barring this concept about Tuesday and forcing teams to make a trade if they're gonna do it.

From a more pragmatic standpoint, I get it. This team isn't expected to win anything, but good god I hope we don't get some kind of awful penalty for tanking.

If they plan to have him in 2024 he's gotta play next year.

If they plan to trade him, they don't have to play him, but his value would be pretty low leaving that many question marks.

Think he's gotta play some point either way, unless he is truly incapable.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

How can you start a new paradigm of guys practicing right, etc., and then make an exception for Hopkins? You have to treat everyone the same, if you want to start a new way of doing things with Cards.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When the cards pick 1st and 2nd in next years draft this will look like a brilliant move. They can't risk Hop getting any TD's this season that could lead to accidently winning a game.

I guess that's the hope. We get the top 2 picks, we get a partial year to evaluate Kyler and see if the new staff can fix him or if not, we draft Caleb Williams, we draft Harrison Jr, and we try to trade Kyler for picks.

I will say this at least the franchise is essentially being open about what the plan is. they're not telling us they think they're going to contend as they're getting rid of the best players.

I keep reading speculation Kyler sits out the whole year to be totally healthy but I don't think that fits the plan, they need at least a few games to evaluate him in the new system, and even if they decide to trade him after that, they will have to showcase him so other teams can see if he's healthy or not. So I don't believe for a second he won't play SOME games this year.

in hindsight it's surprising now we haven't moved on from James Conner? I know he's a tough guy and maybe Gannon and Monti love him for that reason but at his age and cost and the way he runs he takes a ton of big hits

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Moving on from Hopkins isn't the issue. Not getting anything in return is. Totally rebuilding the team is much tougher when you give away your assets for free.
I still feel we came out ahead because we originally dumped a player we didn't want when we traded for Hopkins.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The man didn't want to play for team & nobody wanted to trade for that contract. Best to take your medicine in a season with no hope and have him off books next season.
Or the FO severely overpriced Hopkins and they just got kicked in the nuts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose