Cardinals : AJ green signed

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Harry’s right. We should stop discussing anything Cardinals related unless it’s new news until training camp.

Ha! I love sarcasm. My point is/was much of this and several other threads have degenerated into one person saying “Yes he is” and another saying, “No he isn’t”. It’s okay to say that one time. It’s better to present some new material if you want to say it again.

QuebecCard

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Honestly, I didn't realize how much money we were going to give Watt. But I really like him as a player and at least it's fun. I'm not even lamenting AJ Green that bad. If we added him, kept Arnold/signed Hunter Henry/added a solid option at RB, I wouldn't really care about the signing and could wait and see. But we subtracted from the offense as a whole and only added a question mark to upgrade him.

Simmons hasn't proven much of anything, so he's not a "quality" starter as per BritCard's request, but I'll admit I didn't realize we didn't still have DeVondre Campbell, so I'll cede that. Byron Murphy only started 7 games last year despite being healthy, and is still a nickelback, so no, I'm not counting him as a "starter," because he's not an unquestioned starter in the base defense. We just handed out a $31 million deal with $23 million guaranteed to replace Zack Allen, so no, I'm also not considering him a starter. He is now a rotational lineman who will work out the rest of his contract as a backup barring injury. I don't include Kirk because he is no longer a starter. We just paid $8 million to replace him and relegate him to WR #3.

I'll reply to BC's next post in its own reply.

The day Nickel is not in fact the base, which it is; we trot the same front 3 on "D" line and we strictly run a passing offence with two wideouts, this will make complete sense.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The day Nickel is not in fact the base, which it is; we trot the same front 3 on "D" line and we strictly run a passing offence with two wideouts, this will make complete sense.
If nickel was "in fact the base," Murphy would be listed as a starter for more than 7 games. Not sure what else to tell you. If the team doesn't assign him a starter, I'm not going to call him a starter.

Even if we include him, our young talent is still poor compared to other teams. Especially since in addition, he's just not that great of a player. He's adequate. He doesn't have to cover the opposing team's best WR. Until he proves something different, I'm going to consider him completely replaceable.

BritCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Why is 25 the arbitrary number? That’s actually a terrible benchmark as it would be an incredibly green team. The better threshold would be 27-28. Those are seasoned vets that are in their prime.

Because the league average roster age is 26.

So everyone under 26 is pulling your average down. Anyone over is pushing it up.

The conversation was about young talent.

QuebecCard

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If nickel was "in fact the base," Murphy would be listed as a starter for more than 7 games. Not sure what else to tell you. If the team doesn't assign him a starter, I'm not going to call him a starter.

Even if we include him, our young talent is still poor compared to other teams. Especially since in addition, he's just not that great of a player. He's adequate. He doesn't have to cover the opposing team's best WR. Until he proves something different, I'm going to consider him completely replaceable.

Let's not confuse charts based on 11 with reality.

Teams recognize that their Nickel CB is a de facto starter.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I thought Murphy both missed games in the Covid protocols and earlier in the year was hurt?

From memory maybe I'm wrong.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
netsnjkidd