Cardinals : AJ green signed

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Ronin, Mar 17, 2021.

1. BritCard

BritCard Registered

That previous data was the year before. Last year the Cards were 26.41. The Bucs were 26.44. Chiefs 26.26.

So what you are saying is that age isn't the problem, it's quality? Which is it?

PS The age difference between Brady and Fitz, both teams oldest players, makes a difference to the average of 0.11 and still puts right next to us.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  2. Solar7

Solar7 Meh

So replace Keim, don't keep trying to patch the sinking ship with duct tape.

Stout likes this.
  3. Solar7

Solar7 Meh

No, it's that you arbitrarily set the "youth" age under 26 while conveniently ignoring these teams' mid-age talent that still has them set for years to go. The Bucs just paid it off with an elite roster that won a championship. We're scraping up 32 year old vets in the twilight of their career to desperately vie for the last playoff spot. There's an enormous difference, and you're being obtuse if you don't realize that teams like the Chiefs have sub-30 talent locked up for a long time to come, and we have probably 3 players under 30 at the moment who warrant being called long term stars in the league.

Ouchie-Z-Clown and Stout like this.
  4. BritCard

BritCard Registered

You can't say "we are too old, we need to get younger" when we sit right between the two superbowl teams in average age and barely any different to either. That just throws the age argument out the window.

You can argue for better quality players, but the age argument is BS.

Bears, Titans, Saints, Bills all older than us last year. All made the playoffs.

All this hand wringing over AJ Green being 33 is a bit weird to be honest. He's on a 1 year deal.

There are 2 deals I'd rather have made. For sure, Curtis Samuel for $11.5m. Maybe Marvin Jones, but a 3 year deal for a 31 year old WR isn't a deal I'd really want.

I'm fine with AJ for 1 year. Loads of upside, no downside.

daves likes this.
  5. Solar7

Solar7 Meh

I still don't think you get it. This team has no stability. Old players, short deals, a team that has to hit the reset button every year because our draft picks have sucked.

Stout likes this.
  6. BritCard

BritCard Registered

Budda, Jalen, Murphy, Thompson, Simmons, Fotu, Lawrence, Allen, Murray, Kirk, Edmonds, Isabella all played significant snaps last year on a team that was 1 game from the playoffs and are all 24 or under (except Budda at 25). Gardeck seems to be coming through. Mason Cole is a reasonable backup iOL. We don't know what we have in Jones on the O line yet. Nuk is only 28.

Hell, Jalen, Simmons, Lawrence and Fotu are only 22. All these players have a bunch of developing still to do.

This is pure darksider stuff. The amount of snaps we had from players 25 and under last year will be above league average. We will see when Football Outsiders releases snap weights roster ages in April.

7. Stout

Stout Hold onto the ball, Murray!

You invoked Isabella as a positive; you lose lol

Ouchie-Z-Clown, kerouac9 and Solar7 like this.
  8. BritCard

BritCard Registered

Old players and short deals are two different arguments. Pick a lane.

You seem to be using age as a proxy for something else. A bunch of teams are doing short term deals because of the cap.

And you're arguing about how we lost the game when Q1 isn't even over yet. Frankly it's getting a bit silly. Here's how it's gone so far.

Sign 32 year old JJ Watt - What?! We got Watt? Great move, still lots in the take blah blah
    Sign soon to be 32 year old Rodney Hudson - Best Centre in the league. Great get. Bargain for a 3rd.

At this point everyone is thinking FA is going well.

Sign soon to be 33 year old AJ Green - Garbage. Too old. We need to get younger. FA sucks.

CardNots, cardncubfan and daves like this.
  9. BritCard

BritCard Registered

I said he played significant snaps!

10. Solar7

Solar7 Meh

The vast majority of those players are complete replacement players/nobodies on any other NFL roster. The only ones worthy of being considered actually good/great at their positions are Budda, Murray, and Hopkins.

Only 3 of the players in your initial list are even guaranteed starters this year (Budda, Jalen, Murray). 4 if we include Hopkins since you mentioned him.

I'm talking about proven talent, not ifs, maybes, and guys who have already been replaced by older talent (Thompson, Fotu/Lawrence, Allen, Kirk, Isabella, Gardeck, Cole).

Ouchie-Z-Clown likes this.
  11. Stout

Stout Hold onto the ball, Murray!

That's not in the least bit of a positive! Relax, I was just jerking your chain :)

But Isabella does absolutely suck and we shouldn't be basing anything on him. He's not the speed WR we need--not that that's what you were saying.

12. Solar7

Solar7 Meh

Age and short deals are inexorably linked. We didn't sign a bunch of late-20s guys to one year deals to deal with the cap, we signed a bunch of guys in their 30s to short deals because we know they can't play much longer. Even in the best case scenario where they succeed, we need to replace them next year, unlike younger players.

"Everyone" does not think FA is going well.

I never said signing Watt was a great move and there's lots in the tank, I like getting Hudson, but offensive linemen last longer in the league than others (and I'm still bummed about giving up that 3rd round pick), and yes, AJ Green is both old and did not play very well last year.

AJ Green is exemplary of the Kingsbury era on this board. "Ignore his history, he'll be good because he's part of our organization now!" Nothing but blind hope.

Stout likes this.
  13. BritCard

BritCard Registered

What do you think other teams rosters are? Show me another franchise that has 8 quality starters under 25. Or 6. I doubt you could barely scrape 4.

This is pure "grass is greener" stuff.

daves likes this.
  14. BritCard

BritCard Registered

Let's just say that's revisionist. From the Watt thread.

#1 - OMG

#2 - I'm both very excited and confused with this move. That's a lot of money, but I'm happy to have a guy with his leadership on the team. I allowed myself to dream about it a little when DHop posted that IG post earlier. I'm going to err on the side of positivity here, and hope he kills it.

Bear in mind you only negative was money and this was before we found out his cap hit this year was less than $5m.

So you were positive on Watt and positive on Hudson. And then we sign Green and you have gone full on "It's all crap".

It's 1 player with a cap hit of $2.5m.

daves likes this.
  15. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

you guys must be bored if debating AJ green signing for this long. He's on the team. I hope it goes well.