Cardinals' 53 Man Roster: 3/21/09

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
The amazing thing about this off-season and the recent splash of signings, the Cardinals could ostensibly go into this season feeling pretty good about their chances with their current roster. In fact, if the Cardinals are able to add a blocking FB, an inside LB to provide added depth behind Hayes and Dansby, and a cover 2 FS for the nickel and dime packages...and as expected, the Cardinals add a RB and DE/OLB Pass rusher, the roster will be as deep and talented as ever.

If the season were to start today, here's what the 53 man roster would look like:

QB (3): Warner, Leinart, St. Pierre.

Pretty well set, save a possible trade involving Leinart, which appears very unlikely at this point. If Leinart is moved, Tyler Palko is in the wings and it would seem inevitable that the Cardinals would either sign a veteran such as Charlie Batch or draft a QB on day two of the draft. With new WR coach Mike McNulty on board, it wouldn't be a surprise if the Cardinals signed his QB at Rutgers, Mike Teel, as an UCFA.

RB (3): James, Hightower, Wright.

By keeping James thus far in the fold, the Cardinals are giving themselves the flexibility to keep all options open in the draft. If they decide to use their early picks on defense or the offensive line, it's quite possible that they will want Edge to return to fulfill the last year of his contract. If and when Edge ever comes to his senses, he will realize that at his age, playing for the Cardinals at $5M this season is the best gig he will be able to find, by far. Sure, he will have to share carries...but he can keep his legs fresh and be a more dynamic factor, like he was this past year, in the playoffs. Edge's durability is a valuable asset, and while he may not have the breakaway speed the Cardinals want, he's a power back who still can get the team tough yards between the tackles.

However, if the Cardinals do take a RB with one of their first three picks, James will likely be released, as has been expected all along. The candidates are: Chris Wells (Ohio St.), Knowshon Moreno (Georgia), LeSean McCoy (Pittsburgh), Donald Brown (Connecticut), Shonn Greene (Iowa), Rashad Jennings (Liberty), Javon Ringer (Michigan St.) and Andre Brown (NC St.). the player of this bunch who would seem most likely at #31 is Donald Brown...seeing as Wells and Moreno will most likely be off the board, and the Cardinals paid very close attention to Brown at the combine. What's particularly attractive about Brown is that he shows a good burst between the tackles, can scoot wide and has perhaps the best hands of any of the RBs in this draft.

In the latter half of the draft keep an eye on the following third down type speed backs: Jeremiah Johnson (Oregon), Kory Sheets (Purdue), Mike Goodson (Texas A&M) and Ian Johnson (Boise St.). While it appears that Jason Wright will be the third down back this season, the Cardinals will likely only keep one FB and could very possibly keep 4 RBs, especially when Wright will be one of the team's best ST players. Also, the team needs to find a KR now that J.J. Arrington is in Denver...and a speed back like Kory Sheets, for example, would fit the bill.

FB (1): Castille.

The Cardinals have not attempted to re-sign Terrell Smith. As Darren Urban reports, the Cardinals want a blocking FB who can also excel on STs and that's not Smith's forte. What I believe will happen is the Cardinals will renew their efforts to try to sign RFA John Kuhn (Green Bay) to an offer sheet that might look something like 3/$3.6M/$1M signing bonus. Green Bay would have to match that offer or Kuhn will be a Cardinal. Kuhn is exactly the type of player they want, and if he is added, that could mean adios for Tim Castille.

If Castille can become the blocker they need him to be, and if he can show noticeable improvement in his STs play, he could keep the job outright. His versaility as a pass catcher and red zone threat has always been intriguing.

The FB class in this draft isn't very deep or eye-catching. The best athlete is Quinn Johnson (LSU)...the best blocker is Brannan Sutherland (Georgia)...and the the sleeper is Tony Fiammetta (Syracuse)...but the best kept sectret may be FB/H-Back prospect David Johnson (Arkansas St.).

WR (6): Fitzgerald, Boldin, Breaston, Doucet, Urban, Morey.

In addition the coaches like Lance Long, who would be elligible for another year's work on the PS.

This draft is loaded with good WRs...the wild card is WR/RB Percy Harvin, who has the speed and big-play ability that makes scouts drool. Because the Cardinals have the flexibility to draft whom they consider to be the BPA, if they had a shot at Harvin, they could easily justify selecting him because he would be the KR, PR, and third down speed back, in addition to his role as a WR. Gamebreakers like Harvin don't grow on trees, which is why he will likely be one of the first 25 players taken in the first round.

Three other WRs have caught my attention: Kenny Britt (Rutgers), Louis Murphy (Florida) and Brennan Marion (Tulsa). No one knows Britt better than new WR Coach Mike McNulty who helped groom Britt into an All-American candidate at Rutgers. If the Cardinals trade Anquan Boldin, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Britt is in the Cardinals' plans. Murphy is a tall, fast and agile. And Marion, battling back from a knee injury (which is why he should be available in the 6th or 7th round), is a scoreboard lighter-upper deluxe.

TE (3): Patrick, Pope, Becht.

If Stephen Spach's rehab goes exceptionally well, the Cardinals might be tempted to keep 4 TEs again, especially if Whiz can have Spach double as an H-back (FB/TE). If Spach's rehab is slower than expected, look for them to release him with the hope that they will re-sign him later in the year as they did last year.

There is one super TE in this draft in Brandon Pettigrew (Oklahoma St.). Could the Cardinals be tempted to take him at #31 if he were avaialble there? Yes. No question. I think it would be even more likely if the Cardinals trade Boldin and get an earlier first round pick for him...that way picking Pettigrew would be more of a luxury they could afford.

The TE most on the hot seat is Leonard Pope. Pope's talent is hard to ignore...but so are his inconsistencies. if the Cardinals select a TE in this draft that they like, Pope might have trade value (6th-7th rounder, perhaps?).

OL (9): Gandy, Wells, Sendlein, Lutui, Brown, L., Vallejo, Brown, E., Keith, Raiola.

The Cardinals are pretty well set here for this season. The one question mark is Raiola as the backup center, which is why the Cardinals may be interested in drafting one of the good centers in this draft: Alex Mack (California), Max Unger (Oregon), Eric Wood (Lousiville), Antoine Caldwell (Alabama), Jonathan Luigs (Arkansas), A.Q. Shipley (Penn. St.).

The other question mark is Mike Gandy's eventual replacement at LT. But, Russ Grimm likes what he has in Elliot Vallejo and Brandon Keith...but because Keith may project as the starting RG, the Cardinals might consider drafting another tackle, like a Phil Loadholt (Oklahoma), Troy Kropog (Tulane) or T.J. Lang (Eastern Michigan)...perhaps in round 5.

The mauler G prospect that is especially intriguing is Kraig Urbik of Wisconsin. And with Elton Brown signing only a one year contract, if Urbik is still on the board at #95, Whiz might hop on him. Bench pressing phenom Louis Vasquez (Texas Tech) might have made a fan of John Lott...and could be a second day choice at some point.

NT (2): Watson, Branch.

This is a position in flux as Watson heads into a contract year and Branch heads into possible obscurity. One thing should be clear: no longer should Bryan Robinson be the starter...and it's quite possible that Robinson may be pushed out altogether due to some of the young 34DE talent. More on that later. But, dammit-all, it's time for Bill Davis to light the fire under Alan Branch's prodigious derriere. Blessed with all the natural talent in the world, Branch needs to start acting like a pro and get himself on the right track.

We will know how much the Cardinals are counting on Branch early in this draft. Most of the DT prospects such as Peria Jerry (Mississippi), Fili Moala (USC), and Ziggy Hood (Missouri) are not true 34NT types. The one who is is Ron Brace (BC), but he would be a reach at #31 and should be long gone by #63. However, with 34DE Antonio Smith having signed with Houston, the Cardinals may be tempted to draft Jerry, Moala, Hood or Tyson Jackson. But, it's more likely the Cardinals might adrress the defensive line on day two by targeting the likes of Mitch King (Iowa), Vance Walker (GT), or Kyle Moore (USC).

34DE (4): Dockett, Campbell, Iwebema, TBD (Banks, Leisle, Robinson, Dykes or draft pick).

Keep your eye on Jason Banks...he had a good camp last year and has a nice blend of strength and interior quickness. Leisle had a good camp with the Giants last year and has very good bulk and strength. Robinson has the experience and is a leader, but has lost some pop and quickness. And Dykes could be the surprise here, especially if his work with John Lott pays great dividends.

If Tyson Jackson or Peria Jerry is available at #31, it would not be a total surprise if the Cardinals took either one of them. The Cardinals love to have a good 4 man rotation and would feel extra happy to have Jackson or Perry in that mix.

34ILB (4): Hayes, Dansby, Highsmith, TBD (Togafau/draft pick/UFA?).

The ILB depth is a major question mark on this roster, especially with Dansby still working on a one-year contract. Ali Highsmith fits the bill as a rangy tackler and ST ace. But, what should the Cardinas do now that Monty Beisel has joined Haley and the Comets?

Do not be entirely surprised if at #31 the Cardinals take Rey Maualuga (USC), James Laurinaitis (Ohio St.), Clint Sintim (Virginia) or Clay Matthews (USC). Maualuga probably won't side to #31, but one never knows. Laurinaitis is a great read and react LB. Sintim would be an intriguing choice because he can play inside and outside in the 34, that is, if he can devlop decent cover skills. Matthews is versatile and has been surging up draft boards for weeks now.

34OLB (5): Okeafor, Haggans, Berry, LaBoy, TBD (draft pick):

Another position of flux in that Okeafor, Haggans and Berry are past their primes but still effective rotation players. The Cardinals need fresh legs and talent here and will be very tempted to choose from the following players at #31 or #63: Sintim, Matthews, Michael Johnson (GT), Larry English (Northern Illinois), Aaron Maybin (Penn. St.--if he slides--some think he might seeing as he only started 10 games at PSU), Paul Kruger (Utah), Connor Barwin (Cincinnati), David Veikune (Hawaii) and Lawrence Sidbury (Richmond).

If Victor Hobson has a great camp, the Cardinals might very well keep 6 OLBs. Or---the Cardinals may draft one OLB early and one later on, like Phillip Hunt (Houston), Ian Campbell (KSU), or Maurice Evans (PSU).

The wild card is OLB Nic Harris (Oklahoma)...who is one of the super hitters in this draft and could be a versatile player in the 34.

CB(5): Rodgers-Cromartie, McFadden, Hood, Brown, R., Adams.

All set here. Credit the front office for rounding out this unit and making it one of the strengths of the team.

S (5): Wilson, Rolle, Francisco, Lewis, TBD (draft pick cover 2 FS).

Aaron Francisco's and Keith Lewis' STs prowess gives them the nod over Matt Ware.

What the team desperately needs is a Cover 2 FS for the nickel and dime packages, which will enable Bill Davis to have his CBs be super aggressive in underneath coverage and in run support (one of Bryant McFadden's impressive skills).

One plan that I think would be exceptionally attractive would be to draft FS Louis Delmas (Western Michigan) at #31. Delmas has the total package. He has great instincts, range and ball skills. Adding him would enable Bill Davis to be especially creative with his personnel, as in being able to play three safety sets, moving Adrian Wilson and Antrel Rolle up to the box area and second level in order to create added pressure on the offense. Both Wilson and Rolle are at their best closer to the box where they can be super aggressive. Having a ballhawk like Delmas behind them would be the key.

The only other FS candidate in this draft who can provide the type of range and skills the Cardinals need is Derek Pegues (Mississippi St.)...but if the Cardinals want him they will have to be lucky to see him on the board at #63...and he most certainly won't be there at #95.

If it were up to me...and I have posted on this before...I like the Cardinals' defense to maximize the talents of Adrian Wilson, Karlos Dansby and Antrel Rolle...all three of them are best when allowed to be aggressive in the box or on the edge. Because the Cardinals so desperately need to improve their pass rush, there is no question in my mind that Wilson and Dansby have to be shifted around and sent more often. There is also no question in my mind that if the Cardinals don't acquire a true FS with range and instincts, they will continue to give up far too many passing TDs and big plays. Therefore, because I want to shift Dansby to the edge at times, and bring Wilson up to Dansby's spot at times and Rolle over to SS when Wilson is moved up...the priority at #31 is Louis Delmas.

I desperately want to acquire a 2nd round pick because one of the players I think would be absolutely perfect for the Cardinals is 34OLB Paul Kruger (Utah)...I want him for the SOLB spot (heir to Okeafor's) and want to take 34OLB Lawrence Sidbury (Richmond) at #63 for the WOLB spot (heir to Berry's).

At #95 I would be delirious to see LB Nic Harris (Oklahoma) on the board. He's one of the best tacklers in this draft and has the versatility to play a number of spots in the 34. This guy would be an absolute star on STs as well.

In the 4th round: one of the speed RBs: Jeremiah Johnson (Oregon) or Kory Sheets (Purdue).

In the 5th round: 34ILB Worrell Williams (California).

6th: 34OLB Phillip Hunt (Houston).

7A: RB Mike Goodson (Texas A&M).

7B: HB/FB David Johnson (Arkansas St.)

ST (3): Rackers, Graham, Leach.

Pretty set, although it will be interesting to see if P Waylon Prather gives Graham a run for his money.

Last edited:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I still think there will be a draft day trade for Q and we will be choosing in that #21 spot but that is more a hunch on my part.

Ideally one of Moreno or Wells will fall to #31 but more likely Brown is the pick there. With his production, speed, and clear level of polish I think he has Cardinal written all over him.

Then at #2 I am going to hope a high ceiling developmental OLB falls to us like a Sintim or English, but more likley we will be choosing from Kruger or Sidbury. I think Barwin is intriguing but apparently he is moving up. I could see the Steelers drafting him at the end if the OL they like aren't there.

Much like the year with uber prospect Ryan Kalil I don't see one of the centers getting drafted in the first round and one of the top 4 guys sliding into round 3.

But I am with you Mitch. Now that we are building this culture of competition and depth I want more picks. If it takes Q to get a couple premium ones I would consider it due to his likely production from this point on and injury history. He has a couple good years left to be sure but our pasing game sure didn't seem to miss him and we have obvious star power at the position already. And if you think you are good at evaluating personnel (which I think Kiem and Wiz are) I can't help but like a couple of youngins who are signed on the cheap for 4 and 5 years.

If we can get picks in another way (other then giving up the QBOF - I know where you were going Mitch;)) I am all for that too.

Making a run this year is important. Being an upper flight franchise from this point is much more seductive to me however. JMHO.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
Great stuff, Mitch.

Lots of great points, the only one I somewhat disagree with is drafting FS Delmas at 31 - though it has some merits.

I understand what you are saying about having a true cover safety to allow Wilson and Rolle to move around. That would be great. But I have a hard time with building "from the back forward" so to speak. To spend FA money on a Corner, and draft a first round Safety is counter-intuitive.

I'd rather see us have a nice boring draft of taking pass rushers, and offensive lineman, though I definitely have a man-crush on Harvin. He is just electrifying, but a first round receiver (though he would be a great KR/PR) with our receivers?

As for Mualuaga (however it is spelled), if he is there, we should rush to the podium. Beast. One word of caution on that - the board would erupt with "this is the end of Dansby in a Cards uniform"

Also, is that your projection for the draft? Including a hopeful trade for Kruger, there are 5 LBs in that list. We would certainly have some serious special teams there!

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
Nic Harris would be DESTROYED in a 3-4. A safety/LB 'tweener and you're going to ask him to dig through trash almost every play? Insanity.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Nice read Mitch. What do you think of Darius Butler as a possible center fielder?

And what about Rashad Johnson in the 2nd possibly?

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Great breakdown and quite useful.

I see a couple areas we need to upgrade, but no area we can't play with if thats the hand we are dealt.

I think it increases Boldin's chance to be traded, though I still think he's a Cardinal for one more year. If Boldin is traded Long would move into the #6 spot at WR and we'd have a 1st rounder to upgrade one of those suspect starting areas. Not sure its the right move for us though.

I do think we need to acquire a RB this draft as a priority, its the highest 'need' we have right now, IMHO

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Good right up!

FB - I think Castille is a goner, and as soon as we cut him KC will pick him up cause he here because of Maurice Carthon anyway.

I am on the David Johnson bandwagon as well, and have been for a while. What more do you want than a 265 lbs FB that can play TE.

Again, Good stuff

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input Mitch. A real in depth look at our roster.

I am still not sold on our O-line and we need another center to push Sendlien. I don't think Raiola is the answer. As much as I like Boldin I still think he could and should be traded if we can get the right value. Edge is looking like he will be released so we do need another back.

I am looking forward to seeing how Highsmith does with an entire offseason to heal and work out with Lott.