Cardinal History

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
One of the few Cardinal HC’s in their history who had a winning record. And yet another huge blunder by the infamous Bill Bidwill when he fired Winner. As what was always the case, injuries caught up to a really, really good team in 1970, and Dollarless Bill just wouldn’t spend money to have depth available. That 70 team put together 3 shutouts in a row, and the 4th game was a 6-6 ROAD tie against the World Champion Kansas City Chiefs. To this day, I still think this was top to bottom one of the best Cardinal teams of my lifetime.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Anderson is still the Cardinal's all-time rushing leader by a mile (literally) at 7,999 yards. Stump mitchell is #2 with 4,649 yards.

Current Cardinals? James Conner is up to #14 with 2,574 and Kyler Murray is #16 all-time with 2,448.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Got to visit the Football Hall of Fame last summer. The Chicago Cardinals 1929 bill of sale was on display.

I got to move old courthouse documents in Yuma, and it's cool to see how contracts were hand written in the older days. Plus a lot had sections strikes out and/or written over and initialed. Today with computers, everything looks so perfect. I think the old contracts had some character to them.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With Winner (35-30-5) and Don Coryell (42-27-1) they had some success between 1966 and 1977, with two mediore years of Bob Hollway (8-18-2) in between.
You’re absolutely right about Winner & Coryell, but you’re being too kind calling the Hollway years “mediocre”. He was a really bad HC & they were borderline unwatchable during his tenure. He was in the same category as Steve Wilks.