Captain Phillips

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
loved this movie. saw it the saturday after thanksgiving while visiting family in kansas...

hanks was brilliant and that scene in the sick bay (as many have already mentioned) was incredible. very touching.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Very entertaining and well-made. I liked that they didn't make the Somalian pirates completely one-dimensional. There were some great exchanges between Hanks and Muse.

Now, how accurate was it in the portrayal of Philips? Here's an interesting CNN clip:

http://newday.blogs.cnn.com/2013/10/08/10128/

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw it Saturday, terrific movie. Hanks was amazing and I thought all of the somalian pirate actors were terrific too.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know how accurate the chase scene was but if that was accurate I'm baffled why the Alabama didn't simply swerve hard left and try and ram the pirates?

I know their skiff is more maneuverable but with that ladder involved seems like best case scenario they sink the skiff, worst case scenario the ladder falls off into the ocean?

They even showed the captain telling the crew to get ready for some hard turns but he really only tried a couple and too late from what the movie showed.

Even if he just keeps turning away from the skiff when they're trying to hook the ladder on and then turns hard left they're going to have a hell of a time.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my to do list. Really want to see this.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Edge of my seat the whole time, even knowing the outcome. Tom Hanks is so freaking legit in all that he does.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Edge of my seat the whole time, even knowing the outcome. Tom Hanks is so freaking legit in all that he does.

Me too. I was surprised at how intense of a film it was compared to how little action there actually is. And as others mentioned, the acting in the final sequence is about as good as it gets.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tom Hanks just about nails everything he does acting wise. Enjoy it because he will go down as one of the best actors in Hollywood history IMO.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't forget Bosom Buddies.

No shame there. Many great actors had their starts in some pretty interesting ways. It proved he was fearless comedic wise which led to other things. Besides, the opening credits were catchy. :D

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I wasn't casting shame. But I can honestly say I never said "that guy is going to win a few Oscars" while watching it.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn't casting shame. But I can honestly say I never said "that guy is going to win a few Oscars" while watching it.

Ahh gotcha. Although nowadays it seems like transforming yourself is the way to an Oscar.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose