Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its the very first trailer...it will get better.

Come on guys, Marvel is epic...you know they aint gonna screw up her movie.

I think you were right. This looks pretty good now.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would you rather just have a mysterious super hero with powers and no backstory? No explanation of who they are or how they got their powers? It kind of HAS to be an origin story.

Yeah I could don't care what kind of story it is as long as it's good. The uproar would be ridiculous if you dropped a character in without backstory. Plus, this isn't just an origin story as it connects to Avengers End Game.

Having said that? The trailers were still meh. Does feel very Green Lantern like.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yeah I could don't care what kind of story it is as long as it's good. The uproar would be ridiculous if you dropped a character in without backstory. Plus, this isn't just an origin story as it connects to Avengers End Game.

Having said that? The trailers were still meh. Does feel very Green Lantern like.

That's part of the problem. It's like the thousandth origin story, and it looks boring. It certainly isn't helped that the origin story thing is following in the footsteps of dozens of movies. I'll probably see it to see how Marvel does with the female super hero thing, but zoiks, is it underwhelming me so far.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's part of the problem. It's like the thousandth origin story, and it looks boring. It certainly isn't helped that the origin story thing is following in the footsteps of dozens of movies. I'll probably see it to see how Marvel does with the female super hero thing, but zoiks, is it underwhelming me so far.

It’s almost required with these types of movies for such a huge character in the verse.

Honestly, fans would riot if you dropped such an important character out of thin air.

Stout

Reaction score
It’s almost required with these types of movies for such a huge character in the verse.

Honestly, fans would riot if you dropped such an important character out of thin air.

LOL Hyperbole much? :)

I don't think it would have been a problem, though, if they dropped the character into a different movie previously, and then just ran with the character in a main plot in their own. Or, hell, just have her run with her own story in her first movie without being dropped into another one at all. WHY do we need an entire movie just to establish a character's origin? Is it a law of super hero movies specifically? Because there are thousands of movies where the lead character doesn't need an origin story movie. It is not necessary, IMO. Not at all.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL Hyperbole much? :)

I don't think it would have been a problem, though, if they dropped the character into a different movie previously, and then just ran with the character in a main plot in their own. Or, hell, just have her run with her own story in her first movie without being dropped into another one at all. WHY do we need an entire movie just to establish a character's origin? Is it a law of super hero movies specifically? Because there are thousands of movies where the lead character doesn't need an origin story movie. It is not necessary, IMO. Not at all.

Pretty sure Stout everyone could read my comment and understand it was exaggeration for effect. You might be the only one here who felt it necessary to call that out. LOL.

IMO what separates Marvel from everything else out there is depth of characters. That comes from details about character. If you don’t get that not sure what you have been watching Marvel wise.

Also, no you can’t do that with this character. She isn’t Batman, Superman or Spider-Man. Her character is literally one of the most important characters in that universe. You can’t drop her in. LOL.

Stout

Reaction score
Pretty sure Stout everyone could read my comment and understand it was exaggeration for effect. You might be the only one here who felt it necessary to call that out. LOL.

IMO what separates Marvel from everything else out there is depth of characters. That comes from details about character. If you don’t get that not sure what you have been watching Marvel wise.

Also, no you can’t do that with this character. She isn’t Batman, Superman or Spider-Man. Her character is literally one of the most important characters in that universe. You can’t drop her in. LOL.

I wasn't trying to call you out; just trying (and failing) for a bit of fun.

She's literally one of the most important characters in that universe? I'd never heard of her, and outside of those who read the comics, she isn't that well known. I mean, you say you can't drop her in, but...why not? Why can't you just have a movie that's Captain Marvel being a badass and doing Captain Marvel stuff as her first movie? That doesn't mean you can't touch on her past, but it doesn't have to be a full-blown origin movie.

Not having a full-blown origin story movie doesn't limit her relevance to or importance in the universe. Is there a reason that can't be done other than "just because?"

Reaction score
needs to be an origin story, IMO. too obscure of a character to just drop in, especially if she's going to be key to taking Thanos down.

This. I'm one of those that's never heard of Captain Marvel or Thanos for that matter. I like the origin movies. That way you have some background to their character when they are in other movies with multiple characters. I don't think every single character needs an origin movie but certainly the main ones do. Imo of course.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
She's literally one of the most important characters in that universe? I'd never heard of her, and outside of those who read the comics, she isn't that well known. I mean, you say you can't drop her in, but...why not? Why can't you just have a movie that's Captain Marvel being a badass and doing Captain Marvel stuff as her first movie? That doesn't mean you can't touch on her past, but it doesn't have to be a full-blown origin movie.

Not having a full-blown origin story movie doesn't limit her relevance to or importance in the universe. Is there a reason that can't be done other than "just because?"

In the Marvel Universe? Yes she is. She is Marvel's mega powered hero like DC's Superman. Keep in mind that soooo many people didn't even know much about Captain America, Iron Man and Thor outside of die hard Marvel fans. Same goes with more recent additions like Ant Man.

The only reason these characters are so well known now is because of the origin stories of these characters all those years ago. Marvel has been praised over and over again about depth of their characters for a reason.

So, is she well known? Nope but it's the same scenario as most of Marvel's characters not called Spiderman or Hulk. Assuming they stick to the comics she is is the most powerful Avenger to ever be part of the team. You can't drop a bombshell on people like that without explaining who she is or where she came from. That would have been like not knowing who Superman is, dropping him on the public and not explaining his backstory (Krypton, Smallville) which is essential for knowing what drives him and who he is.

Side characters? I am with you. You don't need probably backstory for every little side hero that might pop in for a single movie or something. However, not Marvel's most powerful Avenger.

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
So is she so important/well known that she needs an origin story, or is she so obscure she needs one?

Either way, we'll see how it goes. It looks boring but with a few funny Fury bits. I hope they surprise me. DC, for once, actually set the bar high, what with WW and all.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
In the Marvel Universe? Yes she is. She is Marvel's mega powered hero like DC's Superman. Keep in mind that soooo many people didn't even know much about Captain America, Iron Man and Thor outside of die hard Marvel fans. Same goes with more recent additions like Ant Man.

The only reason these characters are so well known now is because of the origin stories of these characters all those years ago. Marvel has been praised over and over again about depth of their characters for a reason.

So, is she well known? Nope but it's the same scenario as most of Marvel's characters not called Spiderman or Hulk. Assuming they stick to the comics she is is the most powerful Avenger to ever be part of the team. You can't drop a bombshell on people like that without explaining who she is or where she came from. That would have been like not knowing who Superman is, dropping him on the public and not explaining his backstory (Krypton, Smallville) which is essential for knowing what drives him and who he is.

Side characters? I am with you. You don't need probably backstory for every little side hero that might pop in for a single movie or something. However, not Marvel's most powerful Avenger.
Naw you’re wrong. Even without the movies people know iron man, hulk captain America. They likely trail only Spider-Man in the marvel universe for recognizability. And Spider-Man maybe trails Superman abs Batman. But that’s it. Captain marvel is obviously important but outside of comic book afficianados the public doesn’t know her at all. I think she’s the most obscure character they’ve introduced, no matter her importance.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Naw you’re wrong. Even without the movies people know iron man, hulk captain America. They likely trail only Spider-Man in the marvel universe for recognizability. And Spider-Man maybe trails Superman abs Batman. But that’s it. Captain marvel is obviously important but outside of comic book afficianados the public doesn’t know her at all. I think she’s the most obscure character they’ve introduced, no matter her importance.
Come on. Before the first Iron Man movie, he was definitely more obscure.

Now Captain America, I agree with you.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Chap is right. Having peripheral knowledge of a character is not the same thing. Nobody knew those characters like Hulk or Spiderman. Captain America is borderline. I knew lots of casual fans who knew what he looked like and who he was but not his backstory. There had not been a Captain America project since what the 70's or 80's? That's the only reason why I included him but I get the argument the other way.

Iron Man? Thor? Scarlet Witch? Black Widow? etc...etc...etc..

Obscure or not, you can't introduce who Marvel has defined as the most powerful Avenger, waive your hand and say SURPRISE....no backstory.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Come on. Before the first Iron Man movie, he was definitely more obscure.

Now Captain America, I agree with you.
Iron man was more obscure than captain marvel?!? Iron man was one of the seminal marvel characters.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Chap is right. Having peripheral knowledge of a character is not the same thing. Nobody knew those characters like Hulk or Spiderman. Captain America is borderline. I knew lots of casual fans who knew what he looked like and who he was but not his backstory. There had not been a Captain America project since what the 70's or 80's? That's the only reason why I included him but I get the argument the other way.

Iron Man? Thor? Scarlet Witch? Black Widow? etc...etc...etc..

Obscure or not, you can't introduce who Marvel has defined as the most powerful Avenger, waive your hand and say SURPRISE....no backstory.
I am not saying she shouldn’t have an origin story. But you think captain marvel is less obscure than iron man and captain America?!? Maybe it’s a generation thing.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Sigh, no he was more obscure than hulk and Spider-Man.
Ah. Yeah I’d definitely agree with that.

I’d say level of familiarity is likely something like:

Superman/Batman/spider man
Hulk/Wonder Woman (but WW only because of the Justice League cartoons when we were young)

Ah, who knows. I was trying to figure out where X-men fell and realized that with all the movies it’s impossobke for me to guess what people may have known prior to them at this point.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am old. Whenever I see or hear "Captain Marvel," this is the image that pops into my head:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not saying she shouldn’t have an origin story. But you think captain marvel is less obscure than iron man and captain America?!? Maybe it’s a generation thing.

Less no. Just as yes much as Iron Man yes. My wife for example had no clue who Iron Man, Thor, Black Widow, Hawkeye or AntMan we’re but she new all the mainstream ones. I knew many people who were in the same boat.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson