Captain America: Civil War

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This movie was fantastic. Took 11 of us to it in 3D (my son's early birthday party, daughter and her bf, my wife, etc). Just a fun, and funny, MU movie. They really nailed it.

That kids was born to play Peter Parker, and they nailed Spidey and his yakkety. So beautiful. For some reason, I still haven't seen Antman though I love Rudd, and he was great. I need to see it now.

I really loved this movie...

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Has anybody discussed the fact that Spiderman signing the registration doc doesn't make any sense? If the police knew who Spiderman was they would arrest him. He does all his work outside the law?

Wouldn't he be with the Captain?

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Has anybody discussed the fact that Spiderman signing the registration doc doesn't make any sense? If the police knew who Spiderman was they would arrest him. He does all his work outside the law?

Somehow I doubt he signed it. Isn't he a minor anyway? Would he need aunt May's permission to join the Avengers?

It could make Tony a bit of a hypocrite to have him bring in people that wouldn't sign with help from guys that didn't.

Although, Tony is trying to bring in a fugitive not make them sign.

I think Spidey would be with Cap once he knew more than "they were wrong".

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the heels of this, rented Ant-Man on Sunday. Holy hell, I loved that movie. Paul Rudd, man. Love him. AM2 is when?

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
And yes Oaken!!! Please Marvel, dont make the same mistake DC did when you do the next spidey movie with this new kid. Please dont do an entire origin movie for spiderman, again, again... We know, he got bit by a spider and now he has superpowers, we've seen it, twice, please just move on with the story!

This. But as I believed with Batman, if they need to rehash the origin, there is a way to do it. Do it during the opening credits with a comic-panel illustrated retelling. Take 30 seconds and then hit the ground running on the live action piece. Don't dedicate any dialogue or even any portion of the script retelling it.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
For me the problem wasn't with the plan or the execution of the plan. That was brilliant. It was the execution of the character (not the actor). This probably matters to more to comic book fans but that is big part of this audience. Zemo was a way more complex and interesting character in the MU. Marvel has for the most part done a great job translating characters for the MCU. Zemo was re-imagined as this regular guy but he tracks down Hydra, secret facilities etc.....doing it all on his own? There is so much wrong here.

Marvel just seems to like throwing villains and they often they feel like afterthoughts to me. Zemo is in the top 5 favorite of Marvel villains. Not the Joker but imagine DC taking a character like Brainiac, Two Face or the Penguin and in a DC movie the only resemblance they had to the character was a name.....and then asking "what more could people want"? DC fans would pitch a fit.

Why did Zemo have to come into this move fully-formed and purple? Or why did he have to end up like that by the end? Maybe his arc is far from complete and he will continue to evolve closer to his comic origin. That would be incredibly interesting if Marvel allowed their villains to take the same care and development as their heroes. They did it with Loki and his is considered the best villain. Zemo could get the same treatment and be a real force during Phase 3 and beyond.

Also, didn't WB do that with Brainiac in Smallville? I kind of remember they did that with James Marsters and people didn't seem to mind.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why did Zemo have to come into this move fully-formed and purple? Or why did he have to end up like that by the end? Maybe his arc is far from complete and he will continue to evolve closer to his comic origin. That would be incredibly interesting if Marvel allowed their villains to take the same care and development as their heroes. They did it with Loki and his is considered the best villain. Zemo could get the same treatment and be a real force during Phase 3 and beyond.

Also, didn't WB do that with Brainiac in Smallville? I kind of remember they did that with James Marsters and people didn't seem to mind.

He didn't. But he didn't have to be castrated as a character and turned into a tired cliche (guy avenging is family) either. Just like they didn't have to throw away Crossbones. In terms of James Marsters, they changed his look but he could do some of the same things Braniac can do. If memory serves me correctly he was only posing as a regular guy but it's been a while.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This. But as I believed with Batman, if they need to rehash the origin, there is a way to do it. Do it during the opening credits with a comic-panel illustrated retelling. Take 30 seconds and then hit the ground running on the live action piece. Don't dedicate any dialogue or even any portion of the script retelling it.

And there was ZERO need to re-hash Batman's origin. I mean, NONE. Viewers know it, and it isn't important. A thirty-second scene of him viewing his parents' graves, where the gravestone says 'Martha' would have served the terrible plot twist just as well.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
And there was ZERO need to re-hash Batman's origin. I mean, NONE. Viewers know it, and it isn't important. A thirty-second scene of him viewing his parents' graves, where the gravestone says 'Martha' would have served the terrible plot twist just as well.

Oh Come On, Stout! You know as well as I do that the flashback in BvS was critical! How else would Snyder have been able to get a close-up, slo-mo, shot of a gun firing and ejecting shell casing, along with pearls fallings down, down, down?

I mean, that was the emotional heart of this film.

Killing the Waynes was just a fun little way to inform Batman's complex psyche...

:p

I can't keep it going. I didn't necessarily mean my comment for BvS. I was just thinking Spider-Man and Batman have had their origin stories retold over and over in cinema. But if, say, they stopped making Superhero movies and we didn't get an new incarnation for 20 years, they may need to revisit an origin for a new generation. Even in that case, nothing more than an opening credit comic-panel rehash would be necessary.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Oh Come On, Stout! You know as well as I do that the flashback in BvS was critical! How else would Snyder have been able to get a close-up, slo-mo, shot of a gun firing and ejecting shell casing, along with pearls fallings down, down, down?

I mean, that was the emotional heart of this film.

Killing the Waynes was just a fun little way to inform Batman's complex psyche...

:p

I can't keep it going. I didn't necessarily mean my comment for BvS. I was just thinking Spider-Man and Batman have had their origin stories retold over and over in cinema. But if, say, they stopped making Superhero movies and we didn't get an new incarnation for 20 years, they may need to revisit an origin for a new generation. Even in that case, nothing more than an opening credit comic-panel rehash would be necessary.

:)

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
This movie was fantastic. Took 11 of us to it in 3D (my son's early birthday party, daughter and her bf, my wife, etc). Just a fun, and funny, MU movie. They really nailed it.

That kids was born to play Peter Parker, and they nailed Spidey and his yakkety. So beautiful. For some reason, I still haven't seen Antman though I love Rudd, and he was great. I need to see it now.

I really loved this movie...

What?? You love Rudd but haven't seen Ant Man yet? That's crazy talk there!

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Why would he sign the documents, he isn't an Avenger? In the comic books it was a superhero registration act but in the movie it was purely that the Avengers would be under the direction of a UN panel. Nobody that wasn't part of the Avengers would be expected to sign.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Why would he sign the documents, he isn't an Avenger? In the comic books it was a superhero registration act but in the movie it was purely that the Avengers would be under the direction of a UN panel. Nobody that wasn't part of the Avengers would be expected to sign.
Black Panther isn't an Avenger and he signed? Spiderman is a superhero. William Hurt would expect him to sign.

Spiderman is the ultimate outlaw.
Isn't he wanted for murder?

sent from a fone

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Black Panther isn't an Avenger and he signed? Spiderman is a superhero. William Hurt would expect him to sign.

Spiderman is the ultimate outlaw.
Isn't he wanted for murder?

sent from a fone

The accords didn't only apply to the Avengers. Also, as far as I know they didn't set a deadline or time frame for everyone to sign. It's conceivable Spider-Man has not made up his mind.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

FYI, as I recall, in the comics, spiderman ultimately figures out that Stark is an arrogant pr#*k and switches to the Captain America side

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The accords didn't only apply to the Avengers. Also, as far as I know they didn't set a deadline or time frame for everyone to sign. It's conceivable Spider-Man has not made up his mind.

I just watched it again and paid particular attention to this part. When Secretary Ross is discussing the Accords, he only mentions that the Avengers would fall under UN jurisdiction. There was never a single mention of enhanced individuals outside the Avengers. No mention that they would be required to be registered or anything of the sort. When Natasha talks to Steve about who has signed and who hasn't, every name mentioned was a member of the Avengers. There was no mention of Black Panther or anyone else. Yes, Black Panther supported the accords but that was from the diplomatic side and not as a super hero who would be expected to register.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just watched it again and paid particular attention to this part. When Secretary Ross is discussing the Accords, he only mentions that the Avengers would fall under UN jurisdiction. There was never a single mention of enhanced individuals outside the Avengers. No mention that they would be required to be registered or anything of the sort. When Natasha talks to Steve about who has signed and who hasn't, every name mentioned was a member of the Avengers. There was no mention of Black Panther or anyone else. Yes, Black Panther supported the accords but that was from the diplomatic side and not as a super hero who would be expected to register.

Between the movie and tv show it's made clear the accords apply to any enhanced individual. In the Marvel universe the intent is to keep tabs on all enhanced individuals and not just the Avengers. However, a main provision of the accords was focused on the Avengers because they were the only known organized group of enhanced humans acting unilaterally.

http://marvelcinematicuniverse.wikia.com/wiki/Sokovia_Accords

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Between the movie and tv show it's made clear the accords apply to any enhanced individual. In the Marvel universe the intent is to keep tabs on all enhanced individuals and not just the Avengers. However, a main provision of the accords was focused on the Avengers because they were the only known organized group of enhanced humans acting unilaterally.

http://marvelcinematicuniverse.wikia.com/wiki/Sokovia_Accords

Here's my issue with that. The TV shows try to connect themselves with the movies, but the movies act as if the TV shows don't exist. The writers of the movies have said that they really don't know what is going on in the TV shows and have no plans on connecting them. They are really run by two totally different groups now anyway. Chloe Bennett even had a bit of a rant on it the other day, expressing her frustration with the fact that the movie side completely ignores the TV side. So I don't believe you can take what happens on the TV shows and apply it to the movies, the movie makers certainly don't.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's my issue with that. The TV shows try to connect themselves with the movies, but the movies act as if the TV shows don't exist. The writers of the movies have said that they really don't know what is going on in the TV shows and have no plans on connecting them. They are really run by two totally different groups now anyway. Chloe Bennett even had a bit of a rant on it the other day, expressing her frustration with the fact that the movie side completely ignores the TV side. So I don't believe you can take what happens on the TV shows and apply it to the movies, the movie makers certainly don't.

Not sure why it's a problem. From the start they said AOS was supposed to compliment the MCU. It was never supposed to be the other way around. So naturally, the MCU should be more of a driving force for the TV show verses the other way around. I never for one second expected the TV show to drive the MCU. That would handcuff the MCU creatively and doesn't make sense. That's not how the show was billed anyway. That doesn't mean they are not connected. They have shared plot elements, characters and events between the two. They are connected even if it's a lopsided connection. Kevin Feige in interviews has talked about the connection and how AOS has and will be used to create some foundation elements even if they are indirect to the MCU.

Kevin Feige on cross impacts- "As those [shows] come out, as those get into the culture I think they’re, just like what happens in the movies, tools in the toolbox for some of those shows. And what happens on those shows could be tools in the tool box of the movies. I think that’ll happen at some point."

In terms of the accords, the SA, the mutant registration act and the Super-hero registration act are all variations of the same idea. That inhumans, mutants and heroes must all register and have oversight. It's a reoccurring theme in the MU. On Marvel's own website they define basically all 3 as being interconnected but with the same idea. Throughout the comics (in all 3), "heroes" have struggled with the registration, some resisting, some jumping on board and some undecided. I think CACW plays right into that theme.

Last edited:

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Saw it. There were some funny parts and it was good. I left after the movie.

I missed the 2 extra scenes. Can someone explain them to me.

I haven't seen Ant Man. I need to watch it now.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw it. There were some funny parts and it was good. I left after the movie.

I missed the 2 extra scenes. Can someone explain them to me.

I haven't seen Ant Man. I need to watch it now.

Scene 1 was basically an epilogue. The Black Panther had a change of heart and decided to help Captain and Bucky by putting Bucky under suspended animation until they can figure out a way to remove what Hydra did. Steve Rogers warned BP that if they found out..they would come for him.....his response....."Let them try". The camera fades out to show they are somewhere deep in Wakanda. In essence this appears to be an easy way out to explain why Bucky won't be around much for the next couple films maybe?

Scene 2 was a short interaction between Aunt May and Peter. Peter is sitting on his bed then all of the sudden a "Spider-Signal" signal comes out of his web-shooters (modified by Tony Stark) displaying on the ceiling. A nod to comic book fans and possibly a way for the Avengers to contact him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave