Canada arrested the CFO of Huawei on 12-1

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by Russ Smith, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

Not sure why the story is just now coming out, it's the main reason the stock market is tanking today. She's the daughter of the founder of Huawei and they're charging her with violating sanctions on trade with Iran and are likely going to extradite her to the US.

China is screaming foul play, she didn't violate US or Canadian law, human rights violation etc. Some are suggesting Trump had Canada arrest her as part of his trade war, seems unlikely he and Canada aren't exactly on good terms.

It's yet another sign though that starting a trade war is easy, ending it and winning it are not. I have no doubt she was doing what they said she was, but she wasn't doing it as an individual, or even a representative of Huawei, she was doing it on behalf of the same Chinese government that's now condemning Canada for arresting her. Yes the trade situation with China sucks, but it's not an easy fix there is a fundamental difference between what is "normal" in China and what's normal here and that's why we think they're cheating and they think they're not.

Meanwhile the trade deficit is at a 10 year high, inflation is coming, and the 3 major markets are down another 2% today.

2. MrYeahbut

MrYeahbut rilly bruh, rilly?? Contributor

Not educated in the subject enough to know if these measures against China are warranted... whatever the case I don't trust Trump's people to straighten it out.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/06/business/huawei-us-china-trade-war/index.html

3. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

How would you like to be a US tech executive and find out this news on the plane to China? :eek:

Russ Smith and 82CardsGrad like this.
  4. gmabel830

gmabel830 It's football season!!

I'd say at least a recession during a campaign year will doom Trump, but his supporters are beyond the point of caring about any logic and reasoning.

5. 82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad 7 x 70

The whole idea of using tariffs as a weapon of a "trade war," always seems so odd to me - especially when it's a Repub POTUS using the tactic. I mean, isn't America the world's megaphone for capitalism and low taxes, low/no regulations? Isn't the Repub party the carrier of those torches?? And here we have a petty, putrid excuse of a POTUS using tariffs as a tool in his sick game of "I'm the most powerful man in the world!" Good Lord I couldn't despise the man any more...

And oh - look at that... the trade deficit is at a 10 year high. Ya think tariffs might have something to do with that?? Wouldn't a deepening trade deficit fly in the face of improving (albeit slowly) economic conditions in Europe? And at minimum, stabilized conditions in China and other Asian countries?? Wouldn't those improved conditions suggest a bigger demand for American products?? Hmmm... I would love to hear Trump and all his Trumpkin sycophants explain this...

Inflation remains tame - at the moment... There was a report just today showed personal income growth was slowing. And interest rates remain extremely low and are showing no signs of a dramatic upward move anytime soon. Of course, since we are at or close to full employment, it would be reasonable to expect some degree of inflation. However, most forecasts seem to project, even the worst case, only moderate rates of inflation over the next 5 years...

All that said, it's CRYSTAL CLEAR that Trumps tax cuts have provided ZERO benefit to the economy at-large. And with real estate values sitting on the precipice of a coming steep decline, if not all-out crash, along with the stock market that is clearly inflated and on extreme pins & needles - it seems clear that some type of economic correction is coming... Don't know when, but I would be surprised (pleasantly), if America doesn't experience some form of a recession within the next 18-24 months...

Russ Smith and Krangthebrain like this.
  6. Krangthebrain

Krangthebrain DPOY

The problem is that the President NEVER has had a good grasp of real economics and he has surrounded himself with those who espouse his ridiculous, largely disproven beliefs. He doesn't understand that an aircraft for instance, has parts made in 40 different countries but the parent company is American and Americans work for that company (Boeing). The aircraft is manufactured in this way so that the other 40 countries can sell their people on why they buy American made goods.

Getting rid of the trade deficit does not mean that America will do better. My god this is like a black comedy!

7. MrYeahbut

MrYeahbut rilly bruh, rilly?? Contributor

Russ Smith likes this.
  8. Russ Smith

It's really a cultural thing, it's like how in some countries they don't tip and they think it's abhorrent that people tip in the US. The Chinese government thinks they will win by competing and they don't have the same rules we have. We think our rules are normal, they think theirs are. You play golf with Trump and he cheats, if you point it out, he won't play golf with you again. He doesn't seem to understand china does the same thing and just him saying you're cheating isn't going to change it, they've been playing that way a LONG time.

I have no doubt Huawei is doing what we say they are, and in OUR system it's illegal and bad, but there is the potential for this to be a HUGE issue if Canada really extradites her.

Back in 2007 I nearly took a job in San Jose with a company called Super Micro, there were just things about it that "felt wrong" so I turned down a promotion and raise. a year later I got laid off during the recession and was kicking myself. then Super Micro got busted for violating US laws and exporting to Iran. I felt better. They've been busted I think twice more for similar things now. Awhile back it was announced that Super Micro was selling computers that has something in the board that allows the Chinese government to spy on companies that buy their computers. They deny it, but there are very credible people who insist it's true. Huawei is very similar, they have been accused for years of building stuff into their phones that allows the government to listen in to calls. And now they're apparently exporting to Iran.

MrYeahbut likes this.
  9. LVG

LVG Who?! Contributor

I don't envy my Canadian brethren on this one; either they extradite and incur the wrath of China, or they don't and their adherence to the rule of law is ridiculed.

I think Canada extradites. The Canadian counsel I have had the privilege in working with have been competent and professional.

Russ Smith likes this.
  10. LVG

LVG Who?! Contributor

The good news is that in the US, at least, she'll have an opportunity to challenge the US's contention that she is guilty. In China, I doubt that would be the case.

Russ Smith likes this.
  11. Russ Smith

Read a fascinating old article on Huawei and Cisco last night. Effectively said that it was well known in the industry that Huawei was stealing Cisco's ip, in fact it was so obvious, some of Huawei's products based on the stolen IP had the same spelling errors in the technical manuals that came with the product! That is there were errors in the Cisco manuals and the exact errors were in the Huawei ones. this was apparently done intentionally by Cisco as part of a "trap" to prove Huawei was stealing IP. they eventually settled out of court for an undisclosed sum and several other companies did the same thing with Huawei.

Several months back I was interviewing for a Facilities Manager job, technically my employer would have been Sodexo, but I would have been working on campus in Santa Clara at Futurewei, which is a subsidiary of Huawei. I asked during the interviews about some of the stuff on Huawei, the Sodexo folks didn't seem to have a problem with me asking so they clearly knew what I was asking about. I didn't get that job, glad now I didn't.

The article I read said that after some of the stuff came out about them and Cisco, Huawei complained they were being harassed, that local agencies were doing surprise inspections and other things to harass them. I assume it was more you just got caught stealing IP from American companies while operating in America so we're wondering what other laws you are breaking. This was around 2012 so this is not a new story just the latest chapter.

12. Rivercard

Rivercard Too much good stuff

And of course it helps that she's filthy rich

13. Russ Smith

Canada let her out on bail.

There's some talk that China was arresting Canadian citizens and this was backlash for that and the 2 sides decided to work together now.

14. Rivercard

Rivercard Too much good stuff

If she were a garment worker China wouldn't be arresting Canadians in retaliation. She'll get the best justice money can buy.

15. Town Drunk

Town Drunk Longest serving ASFN lurker

Yeah China has arrested two Canadians and have charged them with undermining China’s national security. One is a former Canadian diplomat.