Can we take time to dream?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just dreaming about Sean Payton coming here.

I was thinking of the off season interviews, free agency, the draft. I imagine our mini camps and pre-season games.

I was thinking about clock management, two minute drills, no wasted time outs, minimal 1 yard passes, and play calling.

I was thinking about post game interviews and accountability.

Ahhhhhhh.

I’m thinking how Sean Payton is a pipe dream and how we let ourselves get caught up in the dream.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I wasn't dreaming, however I was reading just a few minutes ago lol. The Broncos have an interview set up with Sean Payton for Tuesday, as of right now the Cardinals do not, only permission to speak to him. Although the Broncos don't have as much to offer as the Cardinals in compensation, the Broncos could put together a package he couldn't turn down & the Saints would accept. Basically he could be signed on Tuesday by them. Guess I turned your dream into a ******* nightmare lol. Sorry man.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I wasn't dreaming, however I was reading just a few minutes ago lol. The Broncos have an interview set up with Sean Payton for Tuesday, as of right now the Cardinals do not, only permission to speak to him. Although the Broncos don't have as much to offer as the Cardinals in compensation, the Broncos could put together a package he couldn't turn down & the Saints would accept. Basically he could be signed on Tuesday by them. Guess I turned your dream into a ******* nightmare lol. Sorry man.
The broncos are also going to him...not flying him to denver... because when a guy makes a public statement that he is looking for warm weather team...like los angeles...you dont invite him to denver in january

IMO, if he does not come here it is most likely because he wants to wait another year and see if mcvay gives up the rams

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sean Payton isn't the be all. There are other good options. Got to trust the new GM to make the right call.

I know he's a big name but I'm not even convinced he's 100% tthe right choice. Demeco Ryans (or other) plus the draft picks we keep might be better.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sean Payton isn't the be all. There are other good options. Got to trust the new GM to make the right call.

I know he's a big name but I'm not even convinced he's 100% tthe right choice. Demeco Ryans (or other) plus the draft picks we keep might be better.
Or they may not be? It's a gamble with anyone hired. With all the bad years us Cardinals fans have put up with, I'd rather Bidwill swing for the fence with a proven coach, much more than take a chance on someone unproven.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Until the Chargers blew that lead, I was very optimistic that he'd be our next head coach.

Despite some of the chatter, by the time I wake up, I expect Brandon Staley to be fired, and the Chargers job to be the clear destination for Payton. There's solid odds that the Cowboys lose on MNF too, and move on from McCarthy. I feel like we've gone from like a 75% chance to get him, to maybe a 25% chance, and 5% if the Cowboys do indeed lose.

He's not our only hope or anything, but it would be pretty energizing. Now I have no idea.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No head coach experience at all. If he could bring about 6 of his defensive players that would be great.
His defense is very good and he is a part of that, but he has great personnel of which he wouldn’t have here.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No head coach experience at all. If he could bring about 6 of his defensive players that would be great.
His defense is very good and he is a part of that, but he has great personnel of which he wouldn’t have here.
All true. But, it's not like we don't have any potential talent on that side of the ball. Would be really nice to find out what we actually have in Simmons & Collins. Add in the 3rd pick in the draft, Sanders, Thomas, Thompson, Wilson, Baker, re-sign Allen & Murphy, and at least you have a core to start with. Hopefully, Ryans would bring in an element of aggressiveness that was sorely lacking under VJ. Hell, it's not a reach at all to say that we may have more talent on our D than our offense. But, we won't know until we have a real coaching staff in here.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
one thing I noticed watching both the Giants / Vikes

Dabol and O'Connell both create a bunch of throws where its a pretty easy read and throw for the QB and the receiver has room to run.

getting a HC or OC that can do the same would be a giant step forward.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Until the Chargers blew that lead, I was very optimistic that he'd be our next head coach.

Despite some of the chatter, by the time I wake up, I expect Brandon Staley to be fired, and the Chargers job to be the clear destination for Payton. There's solid odds that the Cowboys lose on MNF too, and move on from McCarthy. I feel like we've gone from like a 75% chance to get him, to maybe a 25% chance, and 5% if the Cowboys do indeed lose.

He's not our only hope or anything, but it would be pretty energizing. Now I have no idea.
It ain't over till the fat lady sings & I don't hear any singing just yet lol.

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
one thing I noticed watching both the Giants / Vikes

Dabol and O'Connell both create a bunch of throws where its a pretty easy read and throw for the QB and the receiver has room to run.

getting a HC or OC that can do the same would be a giant step forward.
Now living in Minneapolis, KOC is a god here. And he’s earned it in my opinion. A few more pieces and the Vikings may be good for a long time.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Or they may not be? It's a gamble with anyone hired. With all the bad years us Cardinals fans have put up with, I'd rather Bidwill swing for the fence with a proven coach, much more than take a chance on someone unproven.

If he comes here then great. If not then I'm also fine with it. Got to let the new GM decide. What this Org has lacked is a GM that we know has control and is accountable. The new GM has to make that call.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he comes here then great. If not then I'm also fine with it. Got to let the new GM decide. What this Org has lacked is a GM that we know has control and is accountable. The new GM has to make that call.
If it’s not Payton I prefer a someone who has been a head coach. Frank Reich fills that void.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If it’s not Payton I prefer a someone who has been a head coach. Frank Reich fills that void.

Same. But everyone has to start somewhere right? Sean Payton went to the NFCCG in his first year as a HC.

Demeco seems to be a great leader and well organised. Plus he'd likely draw some talent away from that Niners coaching team. So I could live with that.

But who knows? We don't know enough about many of these guys to call it. The things that will make them a great HC we can't see from where we are. I bet loads of Saints fans complained when they hired Payton.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Same. But everyone has to start somewhere right? Sean Payton went to the NFCCG in his first year as a HC.

Demeco seems to be a great leader and well organised. Plus he'd likely draw some talent away from that Niners coaching team. So I could live with that.

But who knows? We don't know enough about many of these guys to call it. The things that will make them a great HC we can't see from where we are. I bet loads of Saints fans complained when they hired Payton.
He would certainly move the young defenders forward. His success would depend on selecting the right OC. That’s a tall order even for an experienced coach.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He would certainly move the young defenders forward. His success would depend on selecting the right OC. That’s a tall order even for an experienced coach.

Mike LeFleur was with him at the Niners and is free. Bobby Slowik is highly regarded and I've seen him named as a future OC.

Last edited:

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
How far away are we from replacing humans as head coaches with advanced AI replicants that can hold a play card in front of their faces and spit out plays based on as much data that can be fed into them at up to a 30 second clip. I would like our replicant to look exactly like Star Trekś Data, instead of the Woody Allen clone we just had. (just kidding KK, luv ya!)

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yes, lack of a good GM did us no favors at all either.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I was just dreaming about Sean Payton coming here.

I was thinking of the off season interviews, free agency, the draft. I imagine our mini camps and pre-season games.

I was thinking about clock management, two minute drills, no wasted time outs, minimal 1 yard passes, and play calling.

I was thinking about post game interviews and accountability.

Ahhhhhhh.

I’m thinking how Sean Payton is a pipe dream and how we let ourselves get caught up in the dream.
Were you also thinking about the high draft choice that NO will receive from Arizona? You have the option of dreaming long term. At 85, my dreams are more short term.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Were you also thinking about the high draft choice that NO will receive from Arizona? You have the option of dreaming long term. At 85, my dreams are more short term.
I remember seeing a show...twilight zone iirc... about this old man that was extremely obstinate. he was really a pain in the ass with it. unfortunately the old guy started going senile. His daughter sent him to his room to get his shoes on and the old guy was bitching at her about "who the hell is Roy?" you could hear him moving around upstairs. Suddenly you hear the guy, " Roy...who the hell is Roy?? There is no damned Roy!"... suddenly you hear a shoe hit the floor.....silence...

the old guy obstinated himself right out of existence.

a part of me wishes I could do that. Just be too damned stubborn to die before the redbirds win a super bowl, lol.
of course... who knows what medical needs a 200 year old dude has?