Can we stick a fork in Chandler Jones?

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
CJ needs to show up in playoffs. That was the major knock against him in NE. He played 9 playoff games & only had 2 sacks with 1 FF. This is finally his first chance since that time to change career narrative in playoffs.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Edge free agents for 2022 isn't that rich.. A number of guys on the back-end of their careers; Calais, JPP, Hughes, Von Miller, Justin Houston. Clowney has always been overrated although had a decent year playing opposite of Garrett.

Funny fact when doing this research...Calais, JPP, Hughes, Von Miller and Houston - all 32 years of age or older. EVERY single one of these players had their lowest season sack total when STARTING 10 more more games. That's a pretty damning coincidence for those campaigning $12mm+ for 3 years for CJ.

Best available.. Probably Hassan. I love athleticism, I am just not in love with his disappearing acts.
- Hassan Reddick reunion...11.5 sacks, 65 tackles. Got off to a hot start, but cooled down. At 27 years old, I'd rather pay him that $12mm-$14mm range than CJ. Not sure he'd want to come back, but I would be surprised if he gets an offer much more than that price.

I'd love to see us take a much cheaper gamble on one these guys (feel like that's what we will need to do instead of overpaying for medicority). These guys wouldn't be signed to replace CJ, but would supplement the loss of him with perhaps a drafted edge rusher or another FA.

-Emmanuel Ogbah - Crazy athletic, big edge rusher..9 sacks, 10 batted balls! 28 years old, probably isn't much cheaper than CJ though. With a defensive first coach in Miami, will be surprised if they let him walk.
- Randy Gregory - off the field issues have gotten his career off to a rocky start..but having watched a number of cowboys games this year, this guy is a physical force! It argued attention to him has further allowed Parson to succeed. 17 QB hits in only 11 games this season. At least 1 QB hit in 9 of his 11 games played this season. Only 29, with very little NFL wear on him. Jerry Jones seems to love this kid, giving him multiple chances. Could be overpriced.
- Dante Fowler - This guy is young and explosive. Of course his issue is staying on the field (and typically not because of injury). Just needs to stay on the field in a stable environment - feel JJ Watt would help this. Did great w Rams just 2 seasons ago, only 27.

Last edited:

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Emanuel Ogbah is my favourite, but don't know if he fit the scheme
He is pretty powerful and quick for being 285

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
One out of how many? That is very rare and I believe you know that.
I don't know that... I'd have to research that. James Harrison is another one. I'd say there is a healthy amount that don't develop until 3-4 years into their careers. I think you could say that for linemen on both sides of the ball.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The real problem is we are all conditioned by media coverage.
By that I mean we see player “A” with 2 sacks. Next highlight is player “ B” with a 3 sack game.
Then we watch our game and our player hasn’t had a sack in 3 games so he’s a bum.

Chopper posted Chandlers stats and based on that it’s pretty good. I don’t like to see productive players leave. If Chandler leaves We need to replace him. Replacing him is going to cost money and doing so with a player of his caliber will cost a lot of money.
Except he's often been completely ineffectual in those games without sacks, as in, not getting to the QB at all. He's definitely not a top guy any longer, which makes sense, as he's getting long in the tooth.

A short-term expensive deal is all I'm wanting us to go for him. We'd be crazy to let him walk, because he does still have sacks in him, although he no longer can bring it every game. 3 years at big money would be a big mistake, IMO.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I mean when researching..this solidified it for me personally. He's not Reggie White, we aren't going to see prime numbers on the backend of his career. "Funny fact when doing this research...Calais, JPP, Hughes, Von Miller and Houston - all 32 years of age or older. EVERY single one of these players had their lowest season sack total when STARTING 10 more more games. That's a pretty damning coincidence for those campaigning $12mm+ for 3 years for CJ."

Why are we thinking CJ is going to be different?

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind seeing Chandler back next year at a reasonable price. 12-16m?

You must be registered for see images attach

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except he's often been completely ineffectual in those games without sacks, as in, not getting to the QB at all. He's definitely not a top guy any longer, which makes sense, as he's getting long in the tooth.

A short-term expensive deal is all I'm wanting us to go for him. We'd be crazy to let him walk, because he does still have sacks in him, although he no longer can bring it every game. 3 years at big money would be a big mistake, IMO.
He’s been a loyal Cardinal. I don’t like to see players like him walk. Trust me when I say team before player.
I agree if we are going to pay big bucks for that position anyway then maybe we should look younger. If Chandler wants to stay here he’s going to have to be real with his demand and definitely agree to incentives.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He’s been a loyal Cardinal. I don’t like to see players like him walk. Trust me when I say team before player.
I agree if we are going to pay big bucks for that position anyway then maybe we should look younger. If Chandler wants to stay here he’s going to have to be real with his demand and definitely agree to incentives.
When a player decline the decision must be rational for the sake of the franchise
Great players come and go

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When a player decline the decision must be rational for the sake of the franchise
Great players come and go
Many blasted letting Campbell go. He still had gas in the tank but I understood.
We have a hard enough time rushing the Qb without blitzing.
Want to let him walk, okay. But name his replacement and the cost. Do you really want a player like Kennard replacing him? Do we hopefully draft his replacement? Or do we just deal with less production from that position? Do we bring back Reddick?
Whatever. But a guy like Jones commands attention which makes other players around him better.

Reactions: PJ1

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Many blasted letting Campbell go. He still had gas in the tank but I understood.
We have a hard enough time rushing the Qb without blitzing.
Want to let him walk, okay. But name his replacement and the cost. Do you really want a player like Kennard replacing him? Do we hopefully draft his replacement? Or do we just deal with less production from that position? Do we bring back Reddick?
Whatever. But a guy like Jones commands attention which makes other players around him better.
Kennard was an overpaid below average pass rusher, there were better options
Campbell was performing very well even over 30, didn't show sign of losing a step in his game
The problem for edge rusher getting slower is setting the edge against the run and certainly cant play 70/80% of the snaps

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Kennard was an overpaid below average pass rusher, there were better options

What a complete bust of a signing and horrible contract for the Cardinals.

As bad as it is...it's still better than the 4 year/28m contract we have to Jermaine Gresham. SMH

You must be registered for see images attach

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I asked a question, that there was a post that someone (a pass rusher) was going up against average tackles in last week's game. So I asked if the poster was talking about Micah Parsons, since DJ was out, and we were playing Beachum on the left side and Jones on the right. And I was asked if I were comparing CJ to MP, and I have to admit, that based upon last week's game, CJ was better.

BigCardsFan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Imo Golden needs to be benched. Rather have Gardeck starting and chasing down plays baby.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave