Can the Cards do to Chubb/Hunt what they did to Henry?

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is the key to the game. The cards have had ONE game where they legitimately shut down the run and made an offense one dimensional. They way they attacked the Titan's power running game was really impressive..and I think Henry was averaging about 1.5 YPC before busting off a few longer runs in garbage time.

My question is, can we summon up that defense again? The Browns are also a power running team, but with a better offensive line IMO. Chubb is a bulldozer, but if we shut down the run in the first half and score some points, I like our chances with making Baker and their passing game try to beat us. They can play in a shootout....but Im much less afraid of a 35-28 type game against the Browns than I would be a 17-10 slugfest like last week.

What was the difference in week 1. Was it the opponents running scheme...less cut backs? Was is better defensive line play? Why did we look great against the run in week 1 and have looked pretty shaky since?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In a word? No :)

After watching our run D the last 4 games I'm not sure how much of what happened with Henry was on us and how much was on the Titans O line.

WakeForestCard

Veteran
Reaction score
In a word? No :)

After watching our run D the last 4 games I'm not sure how much of what happened with Henry was on us and how much was on the Titans O line.
We've definitely regressed since then, but has the Titans O-Line gotten that much better since week 1? In the last 4 games Henry has 582 yards on 125 carries (4.65 ypc).

Looking at his stats it also blows my mind he is on pace for over 500 touches this year!! I don't see how he (or anyone) can hold up with that usage rate.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This is the key to the game. The cards have had ONE game where they legitimately shut down the run and made an offense one dimensional. They way they attacked the Titan's power running game was really impressive..and I think Henry was averaging about 1.5 YPC before busting off a few longer runs in garbage time.

My question is, can we summon up that defense again? The Browns are also a power running team, but with a better offensive line IMO. Chubb is a bulldozer, but if we shut down the run in the first half and score some points, I like our chances with making Baker and their passing game try to beat us. They can play in a shootout....but Im much less afraid of a 35-28 type game against the Browns than I would be a 17-10 slugfest like last week.

What was the difference in week 1. Was it the opponents running scheme...less cut backs? Was is better defensive line play? Why did we look great against the run in week 1 and have looked pretty shaky since?
Kevin Stefanski comes from the same Shanahan/Kubiak zone scheme that Minnesota, SF and LA all run. Look to those games for insight on what we can do vs Cleveland.

Titans run scheme is different.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Kevin Stefanski comes from the same Shanahan/Kubiak zone scheme that Minnesota, SF and LA all run. Look to those games for insight on what we can do vs Cleveland.

So . . . not much (at least in the first half)

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
This is kinda like having Henry and Cook in the backfield at the same time. I think the Cards can stop/limit one of them, but not both.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This is a bad match up for us I’m afraid.
Kind of. In the NFL the team with the best QB normally has the ultimate advantage. That is why the Packers, Seahawks, Dallas (with Dak), Tampa, KC, Baltimore, San Diego (recently), and Buffalo are consistently favorites and consistently win the most games. If I am believing Kyler is in that group of QBs, I am believing that we have an similar shot at winning on Sunday regardless of any roster disparity. You better believe I am gong to have a small moneyline bet with AZ just because of that fact.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Cleveland didn't lose to San Diego because San Diego is good at stopping the run and/or has a better roster. The better QB just won that game.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Browns rushed for 184 yards against Vikings but only put up 14pts. Bend don't break defense. We will give you the yards but not pts which appears to be mantra of Cards D this season. Take Baker out of this game & if our offense humming, Browns are in trouble.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
yes and no

If we can't put up points, they will run on us all day, if we can go in front after stoping them 1-2 times we force them to go more pass heavy and stop them automatically. So basically, yes we can, but no we can't.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Cleveland didn't lose to San Diego because San Diego is good at stopping the run and/or has a better roster. The better QB just won that game.
Yup. If our oline holds up (not a given with Hudson out) we have to win a shootout. We absolutely can win a shootout. But I don’t think we slow down the browns O

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
In the rain, in Cleveland, got too tackle better, yes we had some epic stops on 4th down, but last game cardinals were missing tackles, our linebackers are, big young and strong but inexperience.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

So, not much then? :)

I suppose if anything at least we have some practice again that zone scheme.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In the rain, in Cleveland, got too tackle better, yes we had some epic stops on 4th down, but last game cardinals were missing tackles, our linebackers are, big young and strong but inexperience.

Not going to rain now. Chance of rain yesterday was 20%, now down to 5%.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Watched the replay of the Browns Chargers game yesterday and I can say this, the refs didn't do Cleveland any favors with some of their calls against the Browns. On one Williams was actually pulling on the jersey of the Brown DB to gain an advantage of position to catch the ball and the ref called PI on the DB. I will say the Chargers converted a ton of 4th and situations and took a ton of chances in these situations, a few times in their own territory and behind on the scoreboard.

Cleveland can run the ball and Mayfield is no slough at QB. Both Hunt and Chubb showed very good vision on their runs.