Can BA coach AP?

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Adding Adrian Peterson as the lead RB to improve the Cardinals' woeful running game (ranked #32 in the NFL) will mean some adjustments on the part of the coaching staff.

First of all, Peterson has always preferred to line up 7 yards behind the center. The reason is it gives him time to react to initial penetration and it allows him to build up momentum as the blocks develop.

What BA should do is sit down with AP and chart out his favorite running plays (blocking schemes included). if BA tries to get AP to adapt to his offense, this move is not a fit. However, if BA allows AP the chance to tweak the offense in such as way as to accentuate his strengths, then there's a chance that he can not only improve the running game and put some pressure back on the opposing front 7, but the chance that it allows Carson Palmer to rejuvenate the play action passing game which is his strength.

Ellington remains the 3rd down RB. Penny can be used as a blocker in pass pro and even as a FB in the right situations.

I think this move brings a modicum of hope that the team can hang in there until David Johnson returns. But, adjustments will need to be made and made quickly.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Well I like what ya say Mitch, unfortunately, our line is so bad I don't see it making much difference.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
First of all, Peterson has always preferred to line up 7 yards behind the center. The reason is it gives him time to react to initial penetration and it allows him to build up momentum as the blocks develop.

He may want to start 8-10 yards behind the line for this OL. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Well I like what ya say Mitch, unfortunately, our line is so bad I don't see it making much difference.

Hey, if Marilyn Monroe walks into the room, do you go check your face in the mirror?

This adds big-time incentive for the offensive line to do their jobs, especially if BA allows AP to show the OL just how he likes his best plays blocked. Plus, AP is an alpha...he'll get after his blockers. Something this OL needs from within the team, not from the coaches.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The problem as soon as the rb get the ball he has 3 guys in front of him
Our interior line with shipley boehm and watford is disgusting and valdeher is even worse

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
AP is going to need a bunch of carries for his style of run game to be successful. I really don’t think the cards OL can handle that as is. And BA has a tendency to abandon the run game pretty fast if it ain’t going the way he wants it to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Hey, if Marilyn Monroe walks into the room, do you go check your face in the mirror?

This adds big-time incentive for the offensive line to do their jobs, especially if BA allows AP to show the OL just how he likes his best plays blocked. Plus, AP is an alpha...he'll get after his blockers. Something this OL needs from within the team, not from the coaches.

If she walked into a room right now I check the nearest exit lol
I know AP has leadership skills, I just don't see this o-line suddenly being better because of him, I don't think Barry Sanders in his time could run behind this line....well except run for his life lol

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If Marilyn Monroe's corpse walked into the room, I'd run before checking my face. And that's what Peterson is right now... her corpse.

Have you guys NOT FOLLOWED ANY FOOTBALL outside of this team? He's injury prone, lacks burst and is washed up.

Hell, just a couple weeks ago people were making jokes about how lucky we were that we dodged his bullet two years ago. Now he's Marilyn Monroe? Short memories here folks that are even shorter because of a massive Kool-Aid overdose.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BA: What is your favorite play to run?

AP: I like to run behind my FB and see those nice big holes.

BA: Fullback? What are you some dinosaur? I am an offensive genius who will risk it for the biscuit

AP: I don't understand what you mean

BA: Me neither but it sounds cool right? Hey do you know anything about coaching the OL?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The lining up deep thing is not actually new, we do that quite a bit with CJ he likes to do that too.

I can semi see the idea, last week for example there were 2-3 runs where CJ was one broken tackle from getting into the secondary for big yards, and 2 of those were basically him making the first guy miss and then making a good cut. Maybe the Cards think if that's Peterson, he's strong enough to break that tackle.

I loved Peterson in his prime (on the field) but he's not Edgerrin James, he's not a make them miss in a phone booth type RB he's a guy who goes through contact more than makes people miss. That's not easy to do when you're getting hit in the backfield on most plays.

He may be better than CJ right now I don't know, but like CJ he's not a very good receiver so he's far less versatile than David Johnson is and that's part of the problem.

He was once an amazing player but that was awhile ago.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
BA: What is your favorite play to run?

AP: I like to run behind my FB and see those nice big holes.

BA: Fullback? What are you some dinosaur? I am an offensive genius who will risk it for the biscuit

AP: I don't understand what you mean

BA: Me neither but it sounds cool right? Hey do you know anything about coaching the OL?
Highlights from his last big year, 2015, show him running out of a single back set...and doing very well...even catching passes for big gains.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
BA just said in an interview with Wolfley that he will ask AP what plays he likes best. BA on board. This is good.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He adds a different dynamic. Teams will likely still scheme for him.. I don't think they were scheming much for CJ or Ellington. Getting Boone and Hump back would be... a ... huge... boon(e) (see what I did there) to our run game.

Teams actually "scheming" for this AP and this OL quite possibly is one of the funniest assumptions people have come to on this board in a long long time....

There is not a single defensive coordinator in the entire league shaking in their boots worrying about having to stop AP when they play the cardinals lol

pmacLean

Veteran
Reaction score

Yep. I can see BA abdicating the running game part of the offense to AP. That sounds like the modest, unassuming HC we have.

Whoops !! Whoa, I had to duck as I walked across the frozen Styx there, a flying pig almost took my head off.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Teams actually "scheming" for this AP and this OL quite possibly is one of the funniest assumptions people have come to on this board in a long long time....

There is not a single defensive coordinator in the entire league shaking in their boots worrying about having to stop AP when they play the cardinals lol
true, I would be surprised if AP really gets more than 2.5 ypc exactly what CJ got.

This O-line is a problem, maybe at some point in the season, we are behind enough to get "Garbage" time and we can't pass and run for 100 yard with AP but, that will be like garbage TD and completitions by QB, meaningless.

And BA didn't adjust to failing parts on the O-line, he had the same chance with CJ and didn't do it ... why anything will change with AP, bacause he says so? great... I don't believe Arians on this one, like I don't believe hin many things nowadays, and players shouldn't do it as well.

But this time, he has AP and if BA doesn't do what he says, AP will call him out and maybe if it isn't showing on the field, at least we here about the bad coaching off the field ...

pmacLean

Veteran
Reaction score
BA just said in an interview with Wolfley that he will ask AP what plays he likes best. BA on board. This is good.

Your credulity is endearing.

Pre-Interview:
Wolfley: What can we say to damp down this hurricane of scorn ?
BA: Don't worry, I have a bunch of lies I can spread about adjustments for AP. They'll be so amazed they'll all shut up.

Adjust for AP, right :koolaid:

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If she walked into a room right now I check the nearest exit lol
I know AP has leadership skills, I just don't see this o-line suddenly being better because of him, I don't think Barry Sanders in his time could run behind this line....well except run for his life lol

Actually did run behind lines as bad this...

Loss
Loss
20 yds
Loss
Loss
20 yards

Rinse, repeat.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The lining up deep thing is not actually new, we do that quite a bit with CJ he likes to do that too.

I can semi see the idea, last week for example there were 2-3 runs where CJ was one broken tackle from getting into the secondary for big yards, and 2 of those were basically him making the first guy miss and then making a good cut. Maybe the Cards think if that's Peterson, he's strong enough to break that tackle.

I loved Peterson in his prime (on the field) but he's not Edgerrin James, he's not a make them miss in a phone booth type RB he's a guy who goes through contact more than makes people miss. That's not easy to do when you're getting hit in the backfield on most plays.

He may be better than CJ right now I don't know, but like CJ he's not a very good receiver so he's far less versatile than David Johnson is and that's part of the problem.

He was once an amazing player but that was awhile ago.

Edge
Emmitt
CJ
AP

Pretty crazy the talent at RB they've signed well after their prime. No doubt Kareem Hunt will be a Cardinal in ten years.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Edge
Emmitt
CJ
AP

Pretty crazy the talent at RB they've signed well after their prime. No doubt Kareem Hunt will be a Cardinal in ten years.

The Arizona Cardinals, where HOF RB's go to die.