Cameron Payne & Defense

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's only a small sampling and in the bubble but you have to like what you have seen overall so far. The team is starting to get some recognition.

• 19th overall defense before the break. Now #4 in the bubble.
  • Plus 12.4 points per 100 possessions
  • Pre-Cameron Payne (Back up PG position) - 10.3 Points worse per 100 possessions
  • With Cameron Payne (backup PG position) - 17.9 points better

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...eeling-and-other-lessons-from-the-nba-bubble/

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When him and Carter are in together, they can really guard the ball full court. They're both undersized but quick, both with good footwork and strength.

This is also hides Saric's shot blocking skills. It seems they really limit penetration.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pg defense is so underrated. That full-court D like Jevon and Cam put on is so disruptive. It forces more time bringing the ball up which results in a rushed possession. It makes the ball handler watch the defender, so his vision for passing is diminished, and of course it forces turnovers.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Payne was considered a defensive stud coming out of college. The question with him has always been his offense, and his shooting and shot selection in particular.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you look at the advanced stats payne and carter have been unbelievably good defensively in the bubble.

This actually encourages me alot if we match up against the Blazers in the play in. I actually feel like they will be able to hold dame to 40.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm feeling so much better about the the backup point guard position with Payne and Carter although I still like the idea of adding a combo guard or point guard although it's no longer a must.

The Suns can better concentrate on their needs at the 4/5.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If you look at the advanced stats payne and carter have been unbelievably good defensively in the bubble.

This actually encourages me alot if we match up against the Blazers in the play in. I actually feel like they will be able to hold dame to 40.

Dame will be guarded by Mikal (Primary) and Ayton (off pnr) a lot.

Stotts will likely make Booker guard him as well on switches.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dame will be guarded by Mikal (Primary) and Ayton (off pnr) a lot.

Stotts will likely make Booker guard him as well on switches.

They will pick and roll all dame long. Hopefully Ayton can stay down when he gets switched onto Dame. Dame has learned how to sell fouls.

Thankfully Bridges, Rubio, Payne and Carter are there. We'll have to monitor Book and Aytons foul count early on. Cam might be the refs whooping boy.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We need to hang on to Payne. While certainly not the point guard of the future, he seems to be an ideal back-up point guard.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We need to hang on to Payne. While certainly not the point guard of the future, he seems to be an ideal back-up point guard.

If this team let's Payne walk it's back to square one for the backup PG and this bench.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave