California reservoir ordered to be drained over fears earthquake could collapse dam

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by LoyaltyisaCurse, Feb 26, 2020.

1. LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...

WTH are they taking the water??? @Russ Smith

. The timing of this is suspicious to me...

2. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

I hadn't seen that but the first article I read is puzzling. It says they can't keep it above I think 74% of capacity and ideally 64 to keep it safer in the event of a big earthquake. the very next sentence says it's at 29% right now. So why in the hell would they drain it? It's nowhere near the capacity they say is safe, the forecasts are acting like we're in a drought, so why does it have to be drained by Oct 1 for safety reasons? Very weird.

A few years back they did this with San Luis Reservoir, it was called the lowpoint project. the idea was there's a pipe they use to draw water out and the pipe is at a certain height, so they can't draw water out below that pipe, at least not easily and fast. They wanted to take more water to So Cal so they created some phony science about the dam being at risk, lowered it to historically low levels, repiped it so the lowpoint pipe was much lower, and then eventually refilled it. I know people who were involved in the political fighting on that, all they did was lower the pipe so they could draw out more water fast, they didn't really do any structural repairs or anything like that.

To this day if you are fishing anywhere near the dam in the main lake there's security that will chase you off. This is by boat, not on land. They claim it's concerns over terrorism, blow up the dam I guess, but lots of people think it's because they don't want lots of people taking pics that prove the dam hasn't actually been reinforced or anything the entire point of the project was to make it easier to send more water to So Cal.

Maybe this is something like that with Anderson, they want to drain it so they can lower the low point pipe?

3. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

Russ - the article I posted on FB talked about needing to rebuild the dam - a two year project

4. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

They kind of said that about San Luis too but they didn't actually rebuild the dam. I don't fish Anderson too many jetski and water ski boats so I'm not all that familiar with what shape it's in, it's older than San Luis is for sure. 2 years without water would be pretty bad to that area, there are other smaller lakes nearby like Coyote and maybe they would get some of the water but Anderson has fish, lots of birds, there are deer etc so there's a whole ecosystem there which would be damaged.

You can tell from the articles I'm finding that the Fed opinion completely contradicts what the local authorities think, they are keeping the water below the mandated levels and were not in any way of the opinion that wasn't good enough.

I'm all for safety but like LIAC said the timing is a bit suspicious. Given Trumps' recent ruling about sending more water South you can easily wonder if that's what he wants to do here too. I don't think Anderson directly feeds into the California Aqueduct so I'm not sure where the water will go.

I did read that if the dam failed it could send a 35 foot high wall of water towards Morgan hill, obviously not a good thing.

It is the situation we're in now as a country that something like this people immediately wonder what are they not telling us, or think the feds are lying.

5. LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...

Asking where the water is going seems like something key the journalist writing the story was obligated to ask/ address.

6. Rivercard

Rivercard Too much good stuff

Do the feds have the authority over the dam?