Cal @ ASU

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
.... doesn't look like its going to happen. Cal's entire D line unit is in quarantine for 14 days.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
.... doesn't look like its going to happen. Cal's entire D line unit is in quarantine for 14 days.

After Cal's games last week was canceled, I guessed it would be this week as well. I am wondering how many games they will actually end up playing at this point.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona State is expected to practice Friday.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ASU coach Herm Edwards is among those at ASU who have tested positive.

ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson issued the following statement:

"We have had to invoke the Pac-12's football game cancellation policy for this week's game. The cancellation of a game is very difficult to accept for all of us, but it is the right decision under the circumstances. In every case we continue to consider the health, safety and welfare of out student-athletes as our number one priority.

"I feel for our student-athletes and everyone associated with Sun Devil Athletics, as well as Sun Devil Nation. This also has an impact on the University of California football program and we extend our appreciation for their understanding of the situation.

"In the past few days our test results included a number of positive cases, including multiple student-athletes and coaching staff members, one of which is Head Coach Herm Edwards. This put our team below the Pac-12's minimum threshold of 53 available scholarship student-athletes under the league's game cancellation policy. After consultation with our medical advisors and Coach Edwards, we immediately began a conversation with the Pac-12 office and California Athletics Director Jim Knowlton to make them aware of the situation.
In the same statement, Edwards said: "First, I want to say that Lia, the girls and I are fine and I will be back quicker than you can say 'Forks Up!' Second, even with the marvelous care our medical professionals have provided for myself, my staff and my team over the past few months the virus still found me. So, I encourage all of you to take this virus seriously, to wear a mask, practice physical distancing and get tested whenever possible.

"As I've stated many times over, the health, safety and well-being of our student-athletes is absolutely paramount and we will not put them at risk. Our team has worked extremely hard to get to this point, and even played a game last weekend. We will continue to care for our students-athletes and follow all protocols very thoroughly as we prepare for our next game. Our team and coaching staff are disappointed, but we do understand what we are dealing with."

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...pac-12-game-canceled-due-covid-19/3762617001/

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
So PAC teams will likely end up playing anywhere from 1 to maybe 4 games, and Big 10 teams maybe 4 to 8 because of pandemic.

But every SEC/Big 12/ACC will play all 9 games because they really don't give a crap if their entire team (heck, or school or state) gets Covid.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This really sucks. I really enjoyed watching the USC game last week, even though we lost. Hopefully Herm and all infected will recover fine.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you think the same about NFL? Not a challenge, truly curious what you think.

I think NFL will start ramping up cancellations soon

The NFL is smaller, and since they are pros, much easier to hold responsible for their actions. But I do think they need to bubble the teams.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The NFL is smaller, and since they are pros, much easier to hold responsible for their actions. But I do think they need to bubble the teams.

By smaller you mean team size? Based on the way college season is structured, each conference on it's own is much smaller than the NFL.

I still think the NFL is poised for serious outbreaks and cancellations.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By smaller you mean team size? Based on the way college season is structured, each conference on it's own is much smaller than the NFL.

I still think the NFL is poised for serious outbreaks and cancellations.

Both smaller team size and less teams.

There have been quite a few non-conference games among the more southern schools

I wouldn't doubt there could be an NFL breakout - but the NFL has more leverage with a standarized protocol

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you think the same about NFL? Not a challenge, truly curious what you think.

I think NFL will start ramping up cancellations soon

i think the NFL has a better testing regime and doesn’t have kids, staying with massive amounts of kids surrounding them at all times.

I’ve been impressed with the responsibility the NFL players have apparently shown. The overwhelming majority of them must be taking this seriously for there to be so few positive tests league wide.

or the league is just covering it up.

but back to college... a bunch of 18-21 year olds, all living around a bunch of 18-21 year olds was a recipe for disaster.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Shut it down. I'm fine without football this year.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
i think the NFL has a better testing regime and doesn’t have kids, staying with massive amounts of kids surrounding them at all times.

I’ve been impressed with the responsibility the NFL players have apparently shown. The overwhelming majority of them must be taking this seriously for there to be so few positive tests league wide.

or the league is just covering it up.

but back to college... a bunch of 18-21 year olds, all living around a bunch of 18-21 year olds was a recipe for disaster.
This. I mean the evidence is sitting in front of us with the nfl managing through week 8 thus far without massive outbreaks and colleges have big outbreaks. As cheese said, it could be an nfl cover up. But absent that I think we see a distinct difference between the two.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The league is covering it up, no doubt.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave