Bye Week Impressions

JeffGollin

ASFN Hero
Reaction score
Mitch - Great job - especially the schemes, coverages and offensive plays.

I just wish there was some sort of convenient "chalkboard" web utility here that could enable you & others to diagram plays (preferably in motion).

One thing we fans don't know enough about is "what the QB sees" - both before the snap and as the play develops. How easy it is for him to pick up a blitzing S or LB or a player dropping off to double-cover?

All of which is very relevant to Max Hall: What's he seeing? How much knowledge is he absorbing so that he understands what he's seeing and knows what he has to do when he sees it?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
By the way I'd say our Special Teams are well above average ranking in the top 10 best in about every category except punt returns.

Just having Ben Graham puts us above average. What a weapon that guy has been.

It will be interesting to see how our coverage guys who have been so good this season do against Leon Washington in Seattle.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Mitch - Great job - especially the schemes, coverages and offensive plays.

I just wish there was some sort of convenient "chalkboard" web utility here that could enable you & others to diagram plays (preferably in motion).

One thing we fans don't know enough about is "what the QB sees" - both before the snap and as the play develops. How easy it is for him to pick up a blitzing S or LB or a player dropping off to double-cover?

All of which is very relevant to Max Hall: What's he seeing? How much knowledge is he absorbing so that he understands what he's seeing and knows what he has to do when he sees it?

Great points, Jeff.

One adjustment Whiz made for Hall was to run him more out of the shotgun. Hall is far better off getting the ball early so he can keep his eyes downfield and shuffle his feet into clear passing lanes. Plus, he can react to quick pressure faster and better, because as you say Jeff, he can "see" it quicker..

For some inane reason, Mike Martz kept calling regular dropback passes for Jay Cutler even on 3rd and longs, and I cannot recall Cutler completing any of the passes from a regular dropbacks.

The thing is---not only is it getting much harder for QBs to be as effective passing on straight dropbacks---it's getting harder and harder to play action pass, because of how trendy the run blitzes are these days. What teams are realizing is that they call a run blitz and it ends up blowing up a play action pass before a QB has a decent chance to set his feet and find his WR or TE downfield. A win-win situation.

And I have always felt the best defense is to rush like every play is a pass and defend the run along the way...

Even bootlegs are not as simple as they used to be as teams are run blitzing the edges straight into where the QB turns for his bootleg.

What Whiz needs to do is run more out of the shotgun. The 49ers had a nice play where Alex Smith acted like the ball was snapped over his head yet the ball had been snapped to Frank Gore for a surprise sweep which gained a good 8-10 yards.

There is no question that spreading the defense out is an advantage for THT, Beanie and LSH.

And...the Rams are doing a great thing by keeping TE Billy Bajema, their best blocking TE in to chip and slow the DE, and then they have him release to the area of the field that is wide open, either the middle or the flat. The Rams actually converted two third and longs on that play, as Bajema was nifty at looking the ball in, turning upfield and making the first defender miss. I wonder of Jim Dray could do the same. Regardless, helping on the edge is now imperative and must become an integral part of the scheme.

The Rams did not let Shaun Phillips beat them, like the Cardinals did without any adjustments, which is why the rams kept Bajema to Phillips' side. Talk about win-win. Phillips was not a factor and Bajema converted two key third downs off delays.

Last edited:

JeffGollin

ASFN Hero
Reaction score
Shotgun vs Under Center...

Mitch - There are 2 schools of thought regarding Under Center vs. Deep Snap.

One is that QB's operating out of the shotgun don't have to worry about drop-back footwork and have more time to get set & scan the field.

But another is that, because a QB has to look down to handle the deep snap, it takes his eyes off what he sees downfield and it costs him a split second while he regains his focus.

If it were me - If I had confidence my center would direct-snap to a dime-sized target 99 out of 100 times (so I wouldn't have to worry about "looking down") I'd rather operate out of the shotgun. Plus - the risk of having a center or guard step on my foot would be eliminated).

Late breaking intelligence of questionable value - When asked the question: "Who do you think is going to have a big game (vs. Seattle)?" LSH answered:

"I'm watching Max (quarterback Max Hall). I feel like he's getting comfortable back there. He's looking good out here in practice. I'm really excited to see what he can do."

(sound of fingers crossing)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnnymac