Buyouts / Waivers 2022

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With Chris Paul likely out for awhile, my mind has wandered to buyouts.

I'm skeptical the Suns will enter the buyout market unless a player is unable to return from injury or is injured.

The Suns would have to waive a player to clear a roster spot. Phoenix may be content to go with the players they have. Adding Aaron Holiday at the trade deadline was huge.

I've always liked D.J. Augustin but adding Goran Dragic would be the plum. Also there could be more buyout players.

Here are some recent buyout players:

D.J. Augustin, G

Drew Eubanks, F/C

Enes Freedom, C

Goran Dragic, G

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dragic is the only one that interests me in the slightest.

But if he goes somewhere else I don't think it's a big deal. The difference between his ability and Cam Paynes is really not that significant.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dragic is the only one that interests me in the slightest.

But if he goes somewhere else I don't think it's a big deal. The difference between his ability and Cam Paynes is really not that significant.
First, Payne has been terrible outside of 8 games this season. Second, the difference between Dragic and Holiday could be huge and don’t even get me started on Payton who’s one injury away from being our back up PG again.

Not going after the best available playmaker after losing an MVP level PG doesn’t make any sense.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cam Payne is still our best option. I am not sure Goran has anything left. We need to look at all options, of course. Too bad Rubio is injured. He might be the best option.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam Payne is still our best option.
At starter, sure? But he’s coming off a wrist injury and there’s no reason not to go after Deagic hard to be our sixth man and to run the unit off the bench considering how atrocious Shamet is and unproven Holiday is.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're both long shots but assuming they get bought out I'd have interest in Gary Harris or John Wall

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brad Wanamaker is still available although I'm not sure why. He is a solid point guard and defender although shooting is not his strong suit.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At starter, sure? But he’s coming off a wrist injury and there’s no reason not to go after Deagic hard to be our sixth man and to run the unit off the bench considering how atrocious Shamet is and unproven Holiday is.

With Payne and Shamet coming off injury I can see Hoiiday starting until someone takes the job away.

Monty has shown a willingness to play Payton as well.

If I were James Jones I would be checking out buyouts and waivers.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Goran Dragic is signing with the Nets.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nets are waiving Jevon Carter to clear a roster spot.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dennis Schroder may become available from what I understand.

Personally I'd rather have Schroder than Dragic.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Nets are waiving Jevon Carter to clear a roster spot.

Any chance we bring Jevon back now with this Dragic news? How ironic that we’d let him and Torrey go only to bring them back into the fold lol

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any chance we bring Jevon back now with this Dragic news? How ironic that we’d let him and Torrey go only to bring them back into the fold lol

I know Jevon Carter has a lot of fans but I don't see him adding a lot. He is not really a point guard or a shooter.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
First, Payne has been terrible outside of 8 games this season. Second, the difference between Dragic and Holiday could be huge and don’t even get me started on Payton who’s one injury away from being our back up PG again.

Not going after the best available playmaker after losing an MVP level PG doesn’t make any sense.
My point is Dragic is not going to be playing anything more than spot minutes come playoff time, because Chris will be back.

Picking him up to win 2 or 3 more regular season games is not a big deal, since I think we will hold onto the 1 seed without him.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bring back Jevon, waive Elf.
Do you guys actually think this is a good idea?

As much as I am not a payton fan, he can at least somewhat perform point guard duties, Jevon cannot at all, he is strictly an undersized 2 guard.

We need the point guard ball handling and passing of Payton more than we need spot up 3 point shooting.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
Do you guys actually think this is a good idea?

As much as I am not a payton fan, he can at least somewhat perform point guard duties, Jevon cannot at all, he is strictly an undersized 2 guard.

Maybe. Maybe not. Neither is the solution to the Paul problem, but I like Carter's tenacity on defense, and he can get hot from behind the line from time to time. Obviously if a guy like Schroder becomes available, it's a no brainer who we should go after.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know Jevon Carter has a lot of fans but I don't see him adding a lot. He is not really a point guard or a shooter.
I'm certainly one of his fans, I love his effort and his toughness. But you're right, he isn't what we really need. We need a starting caliber 1 or 2 or as close to starting caliber as we can get. Jevon is the guy you bring in every 3rd or 4th game to raise the energy level on the court or to harrass a guard that's having his way with us.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm certainly one of his fans, I love his effort and his toughness. But you're right, he isn't what we really need. We need a starting caliber 1 or 2 or as close to starting caliber as we can get. Jevon is the guy you bring in every 3rd or 4th game to raise the energy level on the court or to harrass a guard that's having his way with us.

Mostly I'm looking for guard who can handle the ball and shoot in the buyout market, preferably both. I like players like Dennis Schroder or Eric Gordon but I could settle for less.

Minimally I'm looking for someone that would be an improvement over Elfrid Payton.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Payton goes, Etwaun Moore comes back. I'm calling it.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do you see that as much of an improvement? To me, it's in the ballpark of a wash.

He's not a stat stuffer, but can run the offense better than Payton. For the 3rd string guy, i think that's better insurance than going to Payton for minutes.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's not a stat stuffer, but can run the offense better than Payton. For the 3rd string guy, i think that's better insurance than going to Payton for minutes.
I actually disagree.

I think Payton runs the offense better, but is worse with his own offense. I actually value what Payton provides more.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson