Butcher Jones Recreation area

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

On saguaro lake, this recreation area starts out with an easily accessed main beach with a large parking lot and a large beach open to the public. Keep in mind, dogs are not allowed on the first beach.

All of this area contains wild horses, especially in the summer time. I have included a map of the area with numbers for reference. I will detail each number, what you have there, how to get there and what you need, etc.

1) Cliff jumping site somewhere on there, hard to see from satellite. This can be accessed by boat OR from the main marina. Main marina is not pictured. If you park at main marina and take parking lot east, at end of the lot next to a small pier (i guess its a pier) there is a walking trail. Take the trail east for a few minutes and you are there. Several cliffs to jump from from smaller ones for kids to ones so high I wont even jump on them. (Primary marina requires Tonto pass for parking)

2)Primary butcher jones beach. Can be very crowded. Picnic benches, charcoal grills, bathrooms. East side of beach has a hiking trail

Butcher Jones Trail is a 8.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mesa, Arizona that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.
https://www.alltrails.com/explore/trail/us/arizona/butcher-jones-trail

3) Cove 1: You might be able to get here in a 2wd trucks. Cars can make it but there is sand. I encourage 4x4 only to go back here. In the northeast section of the butcher jones parking lot is a cattle guard one lane trail that leads into the desert. Then the red line starts. Moderate hills and lots of sand. You do come down a steep hill into the first wash and take it south all the way down to cove 1. Cove one is usually jeeps, rhinos, trucks and etc only and typically less crowded than the main beach that anyone can get to but it still does get pretty crowded.

Cove one on a busy day:

4)Spine between cove one and cove two. Hike up or drive but driving takes skill as you have steep cliffs all around you. At the end where I circled is a fun cliff to jump from.

On the spine:

5) Cove 2: Similar to cove one but harder to get to, more hills to climb, 4x4 highly recommended. Cove 2 is less popular and has easy access to hike to #4. I almost never go to cove one, I use this cove or the further in coves to avoid people and trash (even though cove 2 has its share of people and trash)
The same busy day view of cove one but looking at cove 2:

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6)Cove 3: The cove I visit the most. Rarely anyone there, more 4x4 driving to reach. Less frequented, quieter spot with good swimming. In these photos, the beach is huge. The water changes based on flow and tides, sometimes the beach you see is under water and you park further inland, sometimes its like this.

Cove 3:

7)I dont believe I have found this yet. Time to go back out. I have been all over the area but I must have driven right past it. Someone marked it on google maps so off I go sometime soon.

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
6)Cove 3: The cove I visit the most. Rarely anyone there, more 4x4 driving to reach. Less frequented, quieter spot with good swimming. In these photos, the beach is huge. The water changes based on flow and tides, sometimes the beach you see is under water and you park further inland, sometimes its like this.

Cove 3:

7)I dont believe I have found this yet. Time to go back out. I have been all over the area but I must have driven right past it. Someone marked it on google maps so off I go sometime soon.
Thanks for the info. I usually avoid Saguaro because of the crowds and trash but maybe I just need to go further back in. How bad are the roads going to #6? Can it be easily done in my truck or is it something that will require some good 4 wheeling tires and suspension?

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cove 3 more photos

You must be registered for see images

Different Cove 3 trip:
img_20160905_071421-jpg.23483

on the lake:
1-jpg.24969
4-jpg.24971
3-jpg.24970

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my favorite photos ever, from 2010 in cove 2:

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I usually avoid Saguaro because of the crowds and trash but maybe I just need to go further back in. How bad are the roads going to #6? Can it be easily done in my truck or is it something that will require some good 4 wheeling tires and suspension?

Do you have 4 wheel drive?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I enjoy birding at Butcher Jones - the trail gives nice view of the water. Go mainly during winter months, so rarely crowded.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only recommend the linked hiking trail during cooler months. It doesn't have a lot of water access and can get brutally hot.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It does...but imo the suspension is nothing special. Just stock.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
You would be fine, there are some parts that the angles can be tougher than with a lifted vehicle but I have taken my stock 2007 chevy silverado there before. It is bumpier, if you have a portable air compressor I recommend airing down tires to 15-20 psi just to make it a more comfortable ride and more grip on tires. I usually do that and then air up my tires when I leave. Without the air compressor it is fine though.

If anything, lets sync up, I will come out there and show you the way, make sure you dont get stuck and etc. Once you know it well, you'll be good to go and there are always people at butcher jones somewhere so even when something goes wrong, people come to help. Once at the spot and know you can make it fine, we can jump in my jeep and do some real wheelin too since we are already out there :)

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Hollywood I have been talking to my son about going on Thursday this week or next week after work to do some cliff jumping if you are interested trying it out.

Edit: it will be this thurs. Next thurs I cant go as I am going to mexico next fri.

Last edited:

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
@Hollywood I have been talking to my son about going on Thursday this week or next week after work to do some cliff jumping if you are interested trying it out.

Edit: it will be this thurs. Next thurs I cant go as I am going to mexico next fri.

Unfortunately I have to work.....maybe next time?

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went cliff jumping after work with my son Thursday at spot #1. Couldn't find my waterproof camera, still not sure where it is

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah. How did it go? Did you lose the camera there?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I lost my first water proof camera at butcher Jones, this time I couldn't find it before going out. I assume it's at home somewhere. Since it was just me and the boy and time was at a premium we didn't do trails, just did the cliffs ate the main marina. Was a great time.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Went cliff jumping after work with my son Thursday at spot #1. Couldn't find my waterproof camera, still not sure where it is

How high are the cliffs? Love me some cliff jumping!

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How high are the cliffs? Love me some cliff jumping!
I couldnt tell you..if I were to guess there is a ten foot, a 20 foot, a 25 foot and a 40 foot at spot #1

The biggest one I wont do but kids were doing it while I was there. They could all easily be even higher, I'm not sure.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I couldnt tell you..if I were to guess there is a ten foot, a 20 foot, a 25 foot and a 40 foot at spot #1

The biggest one I wont do but kids were doing it while I was there. They could all easily be even higher, I'm not sure.
Always looks higher when you're standing up there looking down at the water. 40 footers are fun...I'll have to check that area out! Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always looks higher when you're standing up there looking down at the water. 40 footers are fun...I'll have to check that area out! Thanks for the info!

For sure. Just head to the main marina and take the parking lot all the way to the left until it dead ends. Youll see a bathroom, a "pier" and some parking. Once parked keep going that same direction down a trail. You know you are getting closer when you start to see idiotic peoples trash, beer cans and tagging. Once you get to the end you cant miss it, all the jumps are right in front of you but there is a large one above you that you have to climb left and around stuff to get to.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Cove 3:

Great post. I never knew about these spots growing up on the West side. What would you estimate the drive time from Butcher Jones to cove 3 that you frequent?

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great post. I never knew about these spots growing up on the West side. What would you estimate the drive time from Butcher Jones to cove 3 that you frequent?

Depending on speed, I lower my tires and fly by people who have full air in their tires causing a bumpier ride. If I were to guess, without stopping at other coves and etc, it probably takes anywhere from 15-20 minutes? Honestly I am winging it though, Once I hit the dirt I lose all concept of time and reality.

Butcher jones is a great jeep playground with tons of huge hills to climb up and down. There is no rock crawling really in the main areas but tons of hill climbing fun to be had and parking on the water is always great.

If you plan a trip, let me know and if I am available, I will join in.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wheeled around Butcher all night last night. Knocked rust off the jeep.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose