Burger King launching grilled hot dogs this month

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Burger King launching grilled hot dogs this month

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ng-launching-grilled-hot-dogs-month/80169072/

Burger King is about to become the biggest restaurant seller of hot dogs in the country.

The fast food chain is broadening its beef kingdom to include two different kinds of grilled hot dogs permanently hitting the menu at its roughly 7,100 U.S. locations later this month. The launch has Burger King poised to steal a sizable bite of a market dominated by convenience stores, wholesale clubs and retailers like Home Depot.

With the addition of a classic grilled dog and a chili cheese dog, Burger King is also expanding its menu to include one of America's favorite processed meats at a time when the fast food industry has been scrambling to find ways to appeal to more health-conscious customers with additions such as kale salad and sides of fruit.

After testing the franks in five markets last year, Burger King North America President Alex Macedo says there's no doubt an appetite for higher quality dogs at a lower price point.

"It was the biggest market test that we ever did," he says. "We haven’t been as excited about a product announced like this in a long long time." Macedo compares the launch to that of Burger King's most well-known burger, the Whopper.

Burger King partnered with Oscar Mayer to create a proprietary 100% beef hot dog, which Macedo says will stand apart from most options consumers have because it is "flame grilled" in the restaurant instead of boiled or put on a "roller," the cooking method often seen in convenience stores. The classic hot dog will sell for $1.99 and the chili cheese dog for $2.29.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Their hamburgers are the worst of any of the major chains, but I'd be willing to try a hot dog.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Their hamburgers are the worst of any of the major chains, but I'd be willing to try a hot dog.

I used to absolutely love Whopper Jrs...Whoppers were just too much food, imo, but I agree, they're just awful now. BK rarely even crosses my mind when I'm contemplating a fast food meal. There is nothing on their menu that I can't get somewhere else that is better.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to absolutely love Whopper Jrs...Whoppers were just too much food, imo, but I agree, they're just awful now. BK rarely even crosses my mind when I'm contemplating a fast food meal. There is nothing on their menu that I can't get somewhere else that is better.

Same here. I used to devour those Whoppers, but now BK is an afterthought

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hot dogs?

From burger king?

No way. Probably complete garbage hot dogs. I can eat the high end ones but I still prefer a real sausage over a hot dog every day and twice on Sunday.

I'll stick to Ted's.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Same here. Years ago I used to like their Whoppers and Biscuit sandwich.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hot dogs?

From burger king?

No way. Probably complete garbage hot dogs. I can eat the high end ones but I still prefer a real sausage over a hot dog every day and twice on Sunday.

I'll stick to Ted's.
Well, yeah, Ted's all day every day but the article says they're making an all-beef one, so I have to think it's gotta be decent. I'm sure I'll wind up trying it.

MMmmmmmm...Ted's....from my hometown of Buffalo. :) (yeah, yeah, I haven't lived there since I was 4, whatever)

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So this is the "controversial" item NBC was talking about? How on earth are hot dogs controversial? As for BK's burgers, they're actually the best because they're flame broiled instead of fried in it's own fat. I worked at Wendy's 1,000 years ago and it amazed me the amount of fat I used to scrape off the grill that got thrown out every night. And I loves me some hot dogs especially grilled hot dogs.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So this is the "controversial" item NBC was talking about? How on earth are hot dogs controversial? As for BK's burgers, they're actually the best because they're flame broiled instead of fried in it's own fat. I worked at Wendy's 1,000 years ago and it amazed me the amount of fat I used to scrape off the grill that got thrown out every night. And I loves me some hot dogs especially grilled hot dogs.

My first job was at a Long John Silver's. You want to talk about grease, buddy, I was saturated in it. Oh that smell did not want to come off. :thud:

Reaction score
hot dogs?

From burger king?

I'll stick to Ted's.

They are teaming up with Oscar Meyer for an all beef hot dog.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I am more concerned about the meat quality than the type of cooking.

They are teaming up with Oscar Meyer for an all beef hot dog.

Oscar Meyer doesnt make a single hot dog I am interested in eating personally.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What if their new Burger King Dog is called the Soylent Pink?

My hot dog has a first name

It's O-S-C-A-R

My hot dog has a second name

Wait, Oscar, it's really made from Oscar!! :eek:

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McDonalds is a lot worse than BK.
No argument there; I've never cared for any burger from McDonald's except for the McDLT...man, I do miss those. /I'm old.

My first job was at a Long John Silver's. You want to talk about grease, buddy, I was saturated in it. Oh that smell did not want to come off. :thud:
My oldest brother used to work at KFC when he was in high school, I believe as a fry cook. He smelled so disgusting, all the time. His bedroom was UNREAL. His boots weren't allowed in the house.

All the free food he brought home, however, was VERY welcome. :)

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Timing is horrible.... not that most people will notice. Researchers just released a report linking "grilling" to cancer.

Anyone remember BK's Yumbo sandwich? Maybe they still serve it. I haven't been in any of those dumps in years.

Last edited:

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No argument there; I've never cared for any burger from McDonald's except for the McDLT...man, I do miss those. /I'm old.

My oldest brother used to work at KFC when he was in high school, I believe as a fry cook. He smelled so disgusting, all the time. His bedroom was UNREAL. His boots weren't allowed in the house.

All the free food he brought home, however, was VERY welcome. :)

Yup. Now add in a fish component and imagine that lovely odor.

Did wonders for my teenage complexion too.

Did I mention the splashing of 400 degree oil everywhere up and down my arms?

All that for minimum wage. :doi:

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh and since you mentioned the McDLT, check out this gem:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sweet fancy Moses. :shock:

Last edited by a moderator:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Timing is horrible.... not that most people will notice. Researchers just released a report linking "grilling" to cancer.

Anyone remember BK's Yumbo sandwich? Maybe they still serve it. I haven't been in any of those dumps in years.
Lol at grilling causing cancer

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose