Bulls @ Suns 3-18-19

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's a bit wishful thinking.

Randle will probably make more than the Suns can pay.

Oubres development is a blessing and curse. He's going to probably get $20, and with Johnson on the roster, it'll be tough to get a good free agent PF to sign.

Draft Morant, bring him along slowly and let Johnson expire and trade Warren and Jackson. Get a FA in 2020.
This might be the only option available to us.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For sure Johnson would have to be accompanied by an asset in a trade although his expiring contract does have some value. Unfortunately Warren may be in the same situation.

Expiring contracts aren't what they once were. With 4 and 5 year contracts being the max lengths of deals now and a lot of players signing for shorter contracts than that, I don't think Johnson's deal holds much value at all as an expiring deal. We could trade him for a bad contract but there's no point in us doing that. There weren't any big deals this last year involving expirings except the Knicks unloading a ton of salary on Dallas so they could make a play for 2 max players. The Suns don't enough expirings to make a deal like that.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Expiring contracts aren't what they once were. With 4 and 5 year contracts being the max lengths of deals now and a lot of players signing for shorter contracts than that, I don't think Johnson's deal holds much value at all as an expiring deal. We could trade him for a bad contract but there's no point in us doing that. There weren't any big deals this last year involving expirings except the Knicks unloading a ton of salary on Dallas so they could make a play for 2 max players. The Suns don't enough expirings to make a deal like that.

While I agree with you in general, I do think they have a certain value in that they are necessary to make certain deals. For example, the Suns can't make a deal for Holiday without having Johnson's expiring contract. I'd say they are not a highly coveted asset, but they do have value.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
While I agree with you in general, I do think they have a certain value in that they are necessary to make certain deals. For example, the Suns can't make a deal for Holiday without having Johnson's expiring contract. I'd say they are not a highly coveted asset, but they do have value.

They do carry some value but not alone, like they used to. Something like Johnson, Warren, and picks for Holiday would work but we're giving up picks and Warren in that, Johnson's only there to make the deal work. On his own, it's unlikely he's worth anything except another expiring, like the swap of Anderson for Johnson initially.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Perhaps you are looking at the contract alone.

There are a myriad of trades where Tyler's contract can be used to make a trade work. This is what makes it valuable combined with an asset. Also it gives the receiving team CAP relief after a season.

I think one of the reasons the Suns acquired Tyler (aside from the fact they needed a point guard) was the idea they might need a larger contract to use in a trade. Jrue Holiday was mentioned as an example. Mike Conley would be another although I don't think the Suns go this direction.

Also the Suns might need Tyler's contract to trade for a power forward if they draft Morant.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
One thing about Johnson is that even though he is overpaid, he's a decent player who fills the primary combo guard back up spot.

The Suns need to be careful that they dont trade him for a turd who ends up being a detriment longer term. Or giving up multiple 1st rounders with Johnson, killing their ability to add cost controlled draft picks.

Like I said, next year needs to be more of a shaping year with eyes towards being competitive during 2020. Draft another stud, move guys that aren't part of the core for good rotation players, and finally turn things around in 2020.

By that point Booker should be an established all star and Ayton might be too. Oubre will be the glue guy, and Morant/Williamson will be in their 2nd season.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
They have the most value at the trade deadline. In the offseason teams are typically trying to free up space to sign big name free agents. At the deadline an expiring has big value because it can help teams dump huge amounts of salary once free agency starts.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson