Bullpen questions

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
Interesting article on the home page of the D-Backs regarding the bullpen.

As much as people like to sound the deathknell for Matt Williams and Mark Grace as aging overpaid veterans, to my mind a larger issue exists with Greg Swindell. D-Backs signed three veteran bullpen guys, Jackson, Villone and Botallico to minor league contracts. Botallico and Jackson at least had clauses that they were free agents if they didn't make the 25 man roster. Botallico will stay because he's been hurt and go down to AAA. If Jackson doesn't make the roster he will be gone. He, at times, as been an excellent major league relief pitcher.

Tons of young guys knocking on the door in AAA with good young arms.

Swindell is guaranteed $2.75 mil. Will the D-Backs keep him just because of the money? It's my understanding he's been awful this spring, and he was mostly awful last year and very up and down in 2001. I think his time has passed him.

I find this more interesting than Grace or Williams because I don't feel that having them on the team is blocking anyone of signifiance who has a chance to be much better than them. Different story with Swindell.

Bullpen unsettled

mark1

Veteran
Reaction score
Brenly needs to keep the best arms, period. If he keeps the best arms, there is no way Swindell should make the team.

IMO, the best arms consist of

Mantei
Batista or Kim
Jackson
Koplove
Prinz
Myers

The fact that the Diamondbacks owe Swindell 2.75 mil, and he's lefthanded, probably means that he stays, and either Prinz or Koplove go to Tucson. Both of those guys have options. With some of the dead weight that we have, it is keeping some young players who are more deserving from making the roster.

moviegeekjn

Registered
Reaction score
From article on D'backs website:
If he keeps two lefties, Brenly's final cut in the bullpen will be extremely difficult. With Mantei, Myers, Kim/Batista and another lefty -- Greg Swindell, Stephen Randolph or Ron Villone -- in the pen, that would leave just two spots for right-handers Mike Jackson, Bret Prinz and Mike Koplove.

All three have pitched well this spring, but Jackson can become a free agent if he's not on the Opening Day roster, whereas both Prinz and Koplove have minor league options left.
Given past history of organization (remember the catcher quandry of 2002), Jackson will remain on the squad. Koplove fairly sure to remain on roster due to his success for most of last year while Prinz would be candidate to be shuttling back and forth from Tucson when someone proves ineffective or goes down to injury.

BB is likely set on idea of having another lefty in the pen, and Randolph will get close consideration if Swindell continues to get bombed; of course, Swindell could develop a nasty blister and go on the DL for several months.

RLakin

All Star
Reaction score
Originally posted by schillingfan
Swindell is guaranteed $2.75 mil. Will the D-Backs keep him just because of the money? It's my understanding he's been awful this spring, and he was mostly awful last year and very up and down in 2001. I think his time has passed him.

I find this more interesting than Grace or Williams because I don't feel that having them on the team is blocking anyone of signifiance who has a chance to be much better than them. Different story with Swindell.

That money is guaranteed whether he makes on or not. My guess is that he won't. As to the second part of your statement, I would very much disagree since their best hitters this spring have been Donnels, Cintron, and Baerga. Only one of those players will make it on the roster, and all three are better hitters (at least this spring) and, as it pertains to Grace, have more versatility.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave