Build your All Time Suns team

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Meanwhile when teams rid themselves of Marbury they improved.
that is laughable

might want to mention that New Jersey replaced Marbury with Kidd and Phoenix replaced Marbury with Nash.

They certainly did not improve during the season when they moved Marbury to New York.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
that is laughable

might want to mention that New Jersey replaced Marbury with Kidd and Phoenix replaced Marbury with Nash.

They certainly did not improve during the season when they moved Marbury to New York.

They didn't get any worse. They were 12-22 with him and went 17-31 after dumping him, a virtual identical winning percentage. And then the next year, as we know, they had one of the biggest turnarounds in league history.

And yes, the Suns replaced him with Nash, the Nets replaced him with Kidd... but it wasn't like a marginal improvement, it was transformative. The Nets won 26 more games the next year, the Suns won 33 more.

Even the Wolves had a big bump in winning percentage when they replaced him with Terrell Brandon.

In a situation like "build your own" Suns team on a budget he should be worth an extra 10 bucks for other players. The dude was empty stats. He did have "talent" but it certainly didn't translate to his teams having any success, he ran a terrible offense and he hardly tried on D. He was an anchor.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pg kevin Johnson

Sg booker

Sf tom chambers

Pf Charles Barkley everyone choice lol from space jam :)

Center ayton

Amazin and fun thread idea

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They didn't get any worse. They were 12-22 with him and went 17-31 after dumping him, a virtual identical winning percentage. And then the next year, as we know, they had one of the biggest turnarounds in league history.

And yes, the Suns replaced him with Nash, the Nets replaced him with Kidd... but it wasn't like a marginal improvement, it was transformative. The Nets won 26 more games the next year, the Suns won 33 more.

Even the Wolves had a big bump in winning percentage when they replaced him with Terrell Brandon.

In a situation like "build your own" Suns team on a budget he should be worth an extra 10 bucks for other players. The dude was empty stats. He did have "talent" but it certainly didn't translate to his teams having any success, he ran a terrible offense and he hardly tried on D. He was an anchor.

And what did Dragic do here as a Sun that puts him ahead of Marbury? This isn't about who had the better career, it's about who was the better Phoenix Sun and Marbury led the Suns to the playoffs and Dragic could never do the same. Say what you want about how they should have made the playoffs when they won 48 games but they didn't and Dragic asked out the next year. For all his faults, Marbury didn't sabotage an entire season of Suns basketball like Dragic did.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And what did Dragic do here as a Sun that puts him ahead of Marbury? This isn't about who had the better career, it's about who was the better Phoenix Sun and Marbury led the Suns to the playoffs and Dragic could never do the same. Say what you want about how they should have made the playoffs when they won 48 games but they didn't and Dragic asked out the next year. For all his faults, Marbury didn't sabotage an entire season of Suns basketball like Dragic did.

It's a team game and no single player controls whether a team makes the playoffs and they certainly don't control how many wins it will take to make the postseason. Making the playoffs is an artificial cutoff, winning 48 games is still better than winning just 44.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn $15 dollar salary cap! How is a person with at least double that financial capacity supposed to put a team together if you tie my hands?!?! On the bright side I have at least 15 singles left to "dangle" at a club that serves half price appetizers at lunch.

Man...my answer would have been way different had I not been saddled with $15. Double-digitaires problems. Am I right?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It's a team game and no single player controls whether a team makes the playoffs and they certainly don't control how many wins it will take to make the postseason. Making the playoffs is an artificial cutoff, winning 48 games is still better than winning just 44.

It is a team game but we're selecting individual players to form an ultimate team. On that basis alone I wouldn't want the guy who asked out because he didn't like the number of touches he was getting.

There are debates that can be made either way. Marbury carried the Suns more than Dragic did. Both played here 2 1/2 years in their primes and neither of them led the Suns to a winning record over their time here but if you want to look at what they did do, I would rank Marbury helping lead the Suns to the playoffs and stealing a couple games against San Antonio in the 1st round as being a bigger accomplishment than anything the Suns did with Dragic leading the way.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is a team game but we're selecting individual players to form an ultimate team. On that basis alone I wouldn't want the guy who asked out because he didn't like the number of touches he was getting.

There are debates that can be made either way. Marbury carried the Suns more than Dragic did. Both played here 2 1/2 years in their primes and neither of them led the Suns to a winning record over their time here but if you want to look at what they did do, I would rank Marbury helping lead the Suns to the playoffs and stealing a couple games against San Antonio in the 1st round as being a bigger accomplishment than anything the Suns did with Dragic leading the way.

I disagree that Marbury carried the team more than Goran did (in that 48 win season) but in general, I agree that Marbury was a better player than Dragic. And it's not even all that close IMO if you look at their entire careers.

I like Goran but I think he got some bad advice and screwed us over twice so I'd take Stephon over him too but Dragic almost leading us to the playoffs that season was quite impressive IMO. And I don't know that Marbury ever carried a team to the extent Goran did that year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pg kevin Johnson

Sg booker

Sf tom chambers

Pf Charles Barkley everyone choice lol from space jam :)

Center ayton

Amazin and fun thread idea

I like your selections but where did you get the $20 dollars. :D

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It is rare for me to defend Dragic, I agree that he was a two faced weasel who cared more about his role than much else.

That said, he was able to contribute to a winning team, while Marbury was an anchor. I think if you took Marbury off any of the teams he played on and replaced him with... Charlie Ward or some other C- level player who would simply play team basketball, those teams would have been equal to, if not better, than the teams Marbury "led". This isn't Marbury vs Dragic to me, this is Marbury vs being able to field a team that is successful and isn't painful to watch.

Marbury, individually, had a nice looking career. He scored a lot of points, he had a lot of assists and I wouldn't want him to play for any team that I had a say in because I think he was a total detriment to 5 on 5 basketball. He was a poor man's, point guard version of Carmelo Anthony.

Marbury was the embodiment of everything that sucked about the late 90s and early 2000s in the NBA. He had the ball a ton, he played really slow and while he individually put up stats the offenses that he ran sucked.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson