Buffalo and Arizona both had Allen as QB1

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BTW. Watching Christian Kirk tell everyone "I am going to be a Cardinal" and then watching the room genuinely erupt--that was a blast. All his friends and family are going to be able to go to all of his games. Dream come true for the young man.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"his laser rocket arm, chiseled from the sinew of Paul Bunyan's corpse, may very well whip footballs through the famous Buffalo weather for years to come."

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Did you guys watch the latest Cardinals Flight Plan? I think episode 8, takes you inside the war room. The relevant line from Bidwill to Keim... "Well if Denver takes a quarterback, we're out of it in the first round." Right before that Keim says he thinks if the pick is Chubb(presumably Browns at 4) then he thinks Buffalo will try to trade up.

Unless they staged that, it sure doesn't look like we had a trade in place with Denver for Allen. Which is a sigh of relief for me, because I think Allen will bust hard. Now there could have been a trade in place with Denver prior to the draft for Mayfield, but not Allen.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

In the end of that sequence Michael Bidwill tells Steve Keim that it played out exactly like they thought. I took that as meaning they had thought Rosen would slip a bit and thus they might be able to trade up and get him. It is, however, also possible that the scenario Michael Bidwill is talking about is the scenario after Josh Allen was selected.

Again, like you wrote, it could have been staged. I just think that might be too much of a conspiracy theory.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
In the end of that sequence Michael Bidwill tells Steve Keim that it played out exactly like they thought. I took that as meaning they had thought Rosen would slip a bit and thus they might be able to trade up and get him. It is, however, also possible that the scenario Michael Bidwill is talking about is the scenario after Josh Allen was selected.

Again, like you wrote, it could have been staged. I just think that might be too much of a conspiracy theory.

1. I sure hope they aren't taking the time and effort to stage things in the middle of the draft
2. If so, Mike B has a future in acting

There is a possibility that post CLE taking Ward, the cameras captured Keim speculating on Denver taking Chubb -- and it could very well be after (off camera) they called up Denv and learned their pre-arranged trade is dead.

one reason I don't believe that, or that Allen was their QB1: why couldn't Keim have called up Indy or TB to get Allen with the same offer they were prepped to do with Denver? If Denver had agreed to that deal, it presumably was one Buffalo wasn't ready to do. Further, Mike B is quoted as saying that if Denver took a QB, no QB in round 1 for them because the Cards couldn't beat Buffalo in a trade up and all would be gone.

Finally, in the couple days leading up the draft, the hosts on 98.7 talked about Josh Rosen over and over. I think its likely that the Cards got wind that Rosen might fall, and that they might be in a position to get him.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO once the draft is over who cares?

Look how far Aaron Rodgers fell, one of the best QB's in the NFL for years now.

Tom Brady was a 6th rounder.

NFL teams get it wrong all the time, it's not an exact science.

If he can stay healthy Rosen has a chance to be a great QB, he is what this franchise needed a legit QBOTF.

Will he pan out, nobody knows.

Dougmo

Veteran
Reaction score
I can verify that Denver had a trade agreement in place with Buffalo, not Arizona. When Chubb fell Elway called buffalo and told them the deal was off because they had Chubb rated #1 on their board. The never thought he'd fall to 5.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can verify that Denver had a trade agreement in place with Buffalo, not Arizona. When Chubb fell Elway called buffalo and told them the deal was off because they had Chubb rated #1 on their board. The never thought he'd fall to 5.
Agree, and the Buffalo GM has also stated the same.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave