Bruce Arians had Kidney Cancer in 2016 Season

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There was a lot of commentary here that BA didn't have his usual 'fire' on the sidelines last season. This could easily explain it.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just came out today because is in his book

http://blog.azcardinals.com/2017/07/11/post-season-cancer-surgery-for-arians/

“I now realize more than ever nothing is guaranteed in life,” Arians writes. “Every day needs to enjoyed and celebrated to the fullest. Roses need to be smelled, sunsets savored, time with family cherished. Moving forward, I want to be a beacon of hope for others struggling with cancer. My fight is their fight. I’m not coaching for myself in 2017; I’m coaching for everyone who’s dealing with cancer. This is my charge.”

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a lot of commentary here that BA didn't have his usual 'fire' on the sidelines last season. This could easily explain it.
“Now I feel great,” Arians writes. “My energy has returned. I’m told I’m cancer-free again. I’m ready for at least one more season of NFL football—maybe more.”

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeowza. Surprising....but not. He was 'off' all season. Beginning with his problem in pre-season in San Diego. Glad to hear he got a diagnosis and the care needed to come back this season.

Stay well, BA!

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
there was mention of diverticulitis mid season or so when he had to go to the hospital... now it appears that was a cover story.

Players have to play,...we all know that... but this in some way helps to explain the season we had. Having B.A. back to full strength will make a huge difference in this team IMO.

The super bowl is often about stories, headlines, all that..
wouldn't this be a great story to watch unfold this season? Would love to sit down next February and watch the talking heads discuss B.A.'s triumphant comeback of 2017 and how he can cap it off with a championship..

oops,...sorry....Kool-Aid!!

Red Bird

Veteran
Reaction score
Seems like a lot of key guys on the team had issues they were working through.

BA dealing with cancer
John Brown dealing with sickle cell
Palmer working through dead arm
Badge trying to come back from knee surgery.

Here's to turning the page on a bad season and getting back on track

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
I wonder if that's why he looked so red all of the time? Reaction to meds? He must have really toughed it out last season.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

BA dealing with cancer

Wasnt palmers dead arm a few years ago?

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I heard that Palmer is so competitive that he overthrew during the summer to prep for last season so BA had to scale his throwing back & give him more days off to recover. Which explains why Palmer looked so weak to start last season... his passes in the 1st few weeks lacked the zip I was used to seeing on his throws. I'll see if I can find the Arians interview where he talked about that.

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

BA dealing with cancer

Forget Peterson with Diabetes.

Red Bird

Veteran
Reaction score
Wasnt palmers dead arm a few years ago?
You're thinking of the nerve issue he had back in 2014. I was talking about the lack of velocity he had on some of his throws early last year. One of the other posters found a BA interview where he talks about it. Probably could've found a better description than dead arm lol

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless by miracle you do not get rid of diabetes. You just control it through meds exercise and diet. I suffer from Type 2 diabetes and know first hand
Sure but the Diabetes did not impact him last season, the season prior it did until he learned how to manage it. Now it is a non issue IMO and was that way last season as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave