Bridges Development

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For better or worse, at least Tyler Johnson can get playing time. Of course this could change a bit with the return of Melton.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
For better or worse, at least Tyler Johnson can get playing time. Of course this could change a bit with the return of Melton.

You mean playing time he doesn't deserve, at the expense of playing time for our younger players who unlike him have at least a remote shot of becoming legitimate NBA players someday?

You mean just like Shaq Harrison and Isaiah Canaan?

James Jones should have seen this coming, seeing as how Isaiah Canaan had to be cut to kerp Igor from continuing to give him playing time he didn't deserve.

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And, so...?

You can use that same response when talking about most of the team.
Cmon you can’t comoare those two to anyone else in terms putridity at this point. Why are we even talking about this? They suck who cares?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he's not above average Steve. He's pretty much EXACTLY at the league average, shooting .352 coming in just below the league average of .354.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_stats.html

Interesting. I admit, I was a bit lazy in my research but I wasn't thinking average in that way. I looked up 3 point shooters and saw that the 100th player made around 36% of his 3's so I guessed that would put him no lower than 200th, hence above average using the 500+ number of players that will have been on an NBA roster this season. I hadn't considered that average would also apply to total makes/total shots which obviously brings it up higher given the better shooters probably take and make more.

But I have a question about that chart. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I'm not questioning the accuracy, I'm just not sure what it's saying. For example, it shows 31.5 for average 3 point attempts per game. What does that mean.

Edit: Forget my last paragraph, I was doing two things at once and didn't think it through. The 31.5 is obviously talking about per team, not per player.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But I have a question about that chart. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I'm not questioning the accuracy, I'm just not sure what it's saying. For example, it shows 31.5 for average 3 point attempts per game. What does that mean.

That means that NBA teams average 31.5 3pt attempts a game this season. The Suns are averaging 29.3 3pt attempts a game, which is below the league average but they're also the worst shooting team from 3pt range as well, making just 32.6% of their attempts.

I think that points to why our record is what it is more so than just about anything else. We're last in rebounds per game as well as 3pt FG%. In today's NBA you will not win if you can't do at least 1 of those 2 things well and if you happen to be last in the league at both then you get the 2018-19 Phoenix Suns!

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2019.html#all_team-stats-base

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Last in rebounds, last in 3p% and second in turnovers. That is recipe for losing.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Last in rebounds, last in 3p% and second in turnovers. That is recipe for losing.
No true PF or PG are contributing factors. I know my preference is to sign Randle in FA but what about Kanter as a back up? He is still young and is a double double machine. Again, preference is Randle but in case NO deals Davis and decides to keep Randle then we may need a back up plan especially if we don't get #1 to take Zion.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No true PF or PG are contributing factors. I know my preference is to sign Randle in FA but what about Kanter as a back up? He is still young and is a double double machine. Again, preference is Randle but in case NO deals Davis and decides to keep Randle then we may need a back up plan especially if we don't get #1 to take Zion.

I don't want Kanter at any price. I know he puts up stats but he's been a problem in the locker room if he's not the starter (especially for a bad team) and I certainly wouldn't start him above Ayton. Plus, with our luck, Erdogan would talk Trump into extraditing him for one of those closed room friendly Saudi Arabian style private conversations. I'd aim for Randle or Mirotic.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Kanter and Ayton won't be able to play together much, if at all. If we were closer to being a contender then I'd be ok with trying to make it work but we're not and we shouldn't go after anyone who doesn't already play the position we would need them to. Also I can't see Kanter wanting to come here to be Ayton's backup with no guarantee of even making the playoffs.

Mirotic should be our backup plan at PF if Randle isn't available. I would prefer Mirotic over Randle but part of that is cost, I think Mirotic will be cheaper and more available. I think it will be harder to lure Randle away from other suitors.

There are a few options for us outside of Mirotic and Randle though. Thaddeus Young, Bobby Portis, and Al-Farouq Aminu are 3 guys that would be a real upgrade for us, all offer different things but I think all 3 can rebound and can shoot from midrange at a decent clip so the paint won't be clogged with Ayton. Portis is the youngest, I believe, and doesn't have the best reputation. Young has bounced around a bit but part of the reason he moved a lot early in his career is because he was a tweener forward but he's definitely a PF in today's NBA. Aminu is more of a defensive dirt worker but I think he would make a good fallback option if we can't get one of the bigger names.

Here's a list of free agent power forwards according to hoopshype. I wish it listed their age on their but you need to click each player for that.
https://hoopshype.com/2019/02/08/nba-free-agency-2019-power-forwards/

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bridges' marksmanship coupled with his defensive instincts allowed him to become the first rookie in Suns history with 100-plus three-pointers and 100-plus steals this season. He is just the 11th rookie in league history to accomplish the feat, joining All-Rookie selections Stephen Curry, Brandon Jennings, Mario Chalmers, Kirk Hinrich, Shane Battier, Steve Francis, Kerry Kittles and Allen Iverson. The only rookie to reach this mark and not make an All-Rookie Team was five-time All-Star and 2004 Finals MVP Chauncey Billups.

Bridges ended the season with True Shooting Percentage of .556 and averaged 2.5 steals per 100 possessions. The only other rookies in NBA history (min. 2,000 minutes) to post a True Shooting Percentage of at least .550 and at least 2.5 per 100 possessions were Stephen Curry, Andre Iguodala, Andrei Kirilenko, Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson and Allen Leavell (five of six earning All-Rookie selections).

Bridges posted numbers rarely seen by a rookie in terms of forcing steals on defense while shooting efficiently and taking care of the ball on offense. In fact, only two other rookies have ever had a similar profile to Bridges in these areas, and they were posted by two All-Rookie selections who would each become multi-time All-Star and All-Defensive selections in Kawhi Leonard and Eddie Jones.
https://www.nba.com/suns/features/mikal-bridges-case-all-rookie-selection

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
A teammate of Ayton’s, fellow Suns rookie Mikal Bridges, was the leading vote-getter among players who didn’t make either the first or second team. He received one first-team vote and 29 second-team votes.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mikal Bridges added to USA Select Team.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It seemed to do a lot of good for Booker after his first time there. Hopefully it will help Bridges as well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seemed to do a lot of good for Booker after his first time there. Hopefully it will help Bridges as well.

Lots of good young players are participating so it should be a great experience.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Wow! What an upbeat and enlightening article about Bridges.

While reading through it, I was hoping there would be a reference
to the much improved balance and playmaking ability on the Suns
and how it will relate to him.

They saved the best for last. I think our best expectations are
that Mikal will step up to become an around good player over
the next two seasons. Then move up to All Star status. Like
Scottie Pippin. A great, and necessary, support player on a
team that would challenge for a Championship.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose