bragging writes

AZZenny

Reaction score
Pardon the pun. Basking in a little reflected glory for my son-in-law's Jack's first book (his earlier book was an author's re-cut of his mainly previously published essays). He is a really fine writer.

The Midwest Book Review is a real reviewer: no 'donations' or fees from authors or publishers, which is shockingly rare.
They're reputable: founded in 1976 and used by libraries.
They get about 1500 submissions per month.
They review about 450 of those.

Nothing in Reserve is one of six Reviewer's Choice selections in the Small Press category in January.

"Hero is an empty term. "Nothing in Reserve" is a true-life memoir
from weary veteran Jack Lewis who writes of his experiences as a
twenty first century soldier. He writes his stories, affirming they
aren't war stories, but stories of a life that happens to be at war,
with himself, and with everything around him. Insightful and from the
heart, "Nothing in Reserve" is a driven and much recommended look into
the mind and conflict of the next generation of war veterans."

I'm so pleased, because it's also one of the first publications by my daughter's start-up e-publishing company. (They epub, but then can make hard copies available on demand.)

OP
OP
A

AZZenny

Reaction score
I'll check. I would think so - part of Shasta's business plan is making works as widely e-accessible as possible while still serving the needs of paper-holding readers.

She also wants to help authors and reghular-reader/fans connect so writers can set up individualized feedback and beta-review systems that can evolve during the writing phase. Like initially, a writer can invite maybe just 3 or 4 trusted friends to comment on very early drafts, and then maybe open it to a few more people, then when it's nearly done, distribute it more widely as a way of building word-of-mouth and proofreading it.