Boston question

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is strictly hypothetical so there is no right answer.

If Boston had never been injured this year what do folks think happens, resigned to a long term deal, franchised, transitioned, traded?

In other words would the off field concerns have been enough even if he hadn't been hurt? I tend to think not I really think we did what we did because of concerns about his ability to play based on health.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have signed him now. So, in your hypothetical I would still have signed him.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Russ Smith
This is strictly hypothetical so there is no right answer.

If Boston had never been injured this year what do folks think happens, resigned to a long term deal, franchised, transitioned, traded?

In other words would the off field concerns have been enough even if he hadn't been hurt? I tend to think not I really think we did what we did because of concerns about his ability to play based on health.

I belive it was all the off-field issues and nothing more! So I think it would have ended up the same Russ!

Heck they said that Boston is already squatting 400 pounds again so his leg cant be that bad and Im sure the Cards know this JMO!

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Boston question

Originally posted by Shane H
I belive it was all the off-field issues and nothing more! So I think it would have ended up the same Russ!

Heck they said that Boston is already squatting 400 pounds again so his leg cant be that bad and Im sure the Cards know this JMO!

I'm sure he is, my theory is the Cards think the tendonitis is a function of Boston being 240, and that they decided that coupled with off field stuff means he'll have a shorter career if he doesn't cut his weight down.

Just a theory as I said there is no right answer. I know the Cards said the plan all along was to resign Boston and Jake but DB's injury and Jake's play changed that. i'm just not sure I believe that now.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Boston question

Originally posted by Russ Smith
I'm sure he is, my theory is the Cards think the tendonitis is a function of Boston being 240, and that they decided that coupled with off field stuff means he'll have a shorter career if he doesn't cut his weight down.

Just a theory as I said there is no right answer. I know the Cards said the plan all along was to resign Boston and Jake but DB's injury and Jake's play changed that. i'm just not sure I believe that now.

Yea you may be right. But anyone who looks at boston up close and you can see the guy is not unproportioned and isnt much differnet then say a Shannon Sharpe who is big and is only 6'2" so I dont think that is really a valid excuse if thats really what the Card were thinking. I really dont think it will be an issue as far as his career goes. If anything IMO it will extend it and help him take the pounding some of these littler recievers cant take.

I believe that since the off-field issue this was bound to happen there was no changing the outcome. Unless Boston was willing to stay for less up-front money! Which he wasnt :(

Lars the Red

aka Thor, God of Thunder
Reaction score
Hi Russ,

I have looked at this from a business standpoint from day one. DB was an asset that had obvious value to many other teams in the league. Not to get at least something for the asset is incredibly shortsighted. I would have tagged him with or without the injury. Not signing him earlier lead me to believe the organization had learned long ago he desired to play elsewhere. His injury and off-field issues diminished his value, but he was far from the undesireable asset Graves assumed him to be.

Short version, I would have tagged him.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was an off-field thing 100% IMO. That is because his potential could really not be argued with. The injury took it's toll on him when he was playing. A person just doesn't do things 100% all out when they are feeling pain...primarily because their brain and body won't always allow it.

I know he only had one great year and one good year, but the writing was on the wall that the Cards should expect great things out of him based on 2001.

At a minimum, he would have been extended, or worse case he would have been franchised.

I just think Billy B is so cognizant when his players screw up that he thinks he needs to do something about it...and I am not criticizing him for that. Just what he thinks.