Booker Question

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
book could have called him out without rushing over to him and getting nose-to-nose. literally no one has said he should’ve run away (at least I think so - lots of posts from people I ignore).

Book did not rush over to him. He had his hands out asking WTF? While he walked in Jokic's direction. Jokic propelled towards Booker and shoved him away.

Watch, starts around 2:12

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

After watching it, again, I am still not entirely sure why Book was T'd up. Jokic made the dirty play and was the aggressor with Book also. How he avoided a Technical with his flagrant is questionable. Its likely they disregarded it since they were tossing him anyways.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Honest question, anyone that was against what Booker did actually played in organized sports? My entire life playing football/basketball , if my teammate gets cheapshotted we are having at least a few unpleasant words and it’s in your face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NO, Because I was the expendable one sent in to deliver the cheapshot.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He absolutely hurt Payne. But to insinuate he was trying to hurt him is being disingenuous. This is jokic. He’s a big goofy nice guy. Did he mean to foul hard? Yup. But he wasn’t trying to hit Payne in the face and wasn’t trying to hurt him. It was a stupid, even potentially dangerous, play given his size. But he wasn’t attacking Payne.

Can big, goofy, nice guys not lose their cool and do things out of character? I just don't understand this reasoning. Fouling hard means you're intentionally hitting someone hard. That's by definition an attack, isn't it? If it turns out worse than expected, you don't get to say "Well shucks. I didn't mean for it to be that bad." That is not a good defense when asked why you hurt a person. Is that what Booker is supposed to tell Cam? "He meant to clobber you, but he was aiming for your shoulder, not your head. So, you know, no big deal."

book could have called him out without rushing over to him and getting nose-to-nose. literally no one has said he should’ve run away (at least I think so - lots of posts from people I ignore).

No. Again, Jokic laid Cam out. That was a very hard foul that warrants a very stern rebuke from a teammate. Not some chirping that Jokic could walk right past and ignore. Booker played it perfectly. He let Jokic know about it in a way he couldn't ignore, and at the same time, did nothing to jeopardize his future availability. Even if Jokic threw a punch, we don't know if Booker would've thrown a punch back. He might not have. So what is being criticized here? Booker did exactly what he needed to do.

if someone did that to cheese first he’s literally my brother, second it’s not an NBA game, third it’s not the playoffs. You just can’t compare the situations. They’re just not comparable.

Why is it such a stretch? You don't think these guys could have a brotherly sense of protectiveness for one another? Because it's an NBA playoff game, you expect them to just turn that off? Hypothethetically, if you and Cheese were playing in an NBA playoff game, and someone did that to Cheese with you standing nearby, what would you do?

again there was never going to be any fight. If there was book would have just tackled him immediately. By just tough guying in his face and waiting for everyone to pull them apart he proved zero. This is the freaking nba. Literally everyone knows nothing is going to happen. The commentators literally laugh about it in real time whenever it happens. But yeah it was critical. Okay.

Outstanding. I think it's fantastic that there wasn't going to be a fight. I'm a big fan of this. Makes the idea that Booker put the season at risk a fallacy. A fight is not what we wanted. We wanted exactly what Booker did. Stand up for his teammate, keep himself available. Booker Wins. Flawless Victory. Maybe it's posturing, but it's necessary posturing, because it shows the team our best player has their back. Which strengthens team chemistry. Which elevates team play. Which leads to wins.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Sorry didn’t know calling you “Ouchie” was personal. But keep up the name calling. It looks good on you.
Dude when you accuse others of “crying” what kind of response do you expect to get? You make things personal all the time and then get mad when others do so. Go back and read through just your and my posts. I don’t tell you you’re crying or any crap like that.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Do you remember 2007? Stoudemire and Diaw didn't throw punches either. The league can be very capricious about how they enforce penalties for what they consider to be poor sportsmanship.
Last I checked Booker didn't come from the bench to confront anyone. That's what happened in those playoffs. Two entirely different scenarios.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Can big, goofy, nice guys not lose their cool and do things out of character? I just don't understand this reasoning. Fouling hard means you're intentionally hitting someone hard. That's by definition an attack, isn't it? If it turns out worse than expected, you don't get to say "Well shucks. I didn't mean for it to be that bad." That is not a good defense when asked why you hurt a person. Is that what Booker is supposed to tell Cam? "He meant to clobber you, but he was aiming for your shoulder, not your head. So, you know, no big deal."

No. Again, Jokic laid Cam out. That was a very hard foul that warrants a very stern rebuke from a teammate. Not some chirping that Jokic could walk right past and ignore. Booker played it perfectly. He let Jokic know about it in a way he couldn't ignore, and at the same time, did nothing to jeopardize his future availability. Even if Jokic threw a punch, we don't know if Booker would've thrown a punch back. He might not have. So what is being criticized here? Booker did exactly what he needed to do.

Why is it such a stretch? You don't think these guys could have a brotherly sense of protectiveness for one another? Because it's an NBA playoff game, you expect them to just turn that off? Hypothethetically, if you and Cheese were playing in an NBA playoff game, and someone did that to Cheese with you standing nearby, what would you do?

Outstanding. I think it's fantastic that there wasn't going to be a fight. I'm a big fan of this. Makes the idea that Booker put the season at risk a fallacy. A fight is not what we wanted. We wanted exactly what Booker did. Stand up for his teammate, keep himself available. Booker Wins. Flawless Victory. Maybe it's posturing, but it's necessary posturing, because it shows the team our best player has their back. Which strengthens team chemistry. Which elevates team play. Which leads to wins.
You want to believe all that? Okay. Your prerogative. I don’t think, and never said, it was going to put entire playoffs at risk. That must be another poster. I still think it was an unnecessary T. Obviously neither of us is going to convince each other. Done arguing.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wait! What are we arguing about again? And who is on what side? I am getting completely turned around here.
Oh. I see now. I was confusing 1tin with itin.

thought we were dealing with a schizo foe a minute.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You want to believe all that? Okay. Your prerogative. I don’t think, and never said, it was going to put entire playoffs at risk. That must be another poster. I still think it was an unnecessary T. Obviously neither of us is going to convince each other. Done arguing.

This is part of why putting a user on ignore creates more issues than it solves. You're missing a poster take the extreme side of "Booker isn't a leader, he's just a punk because he did X, which almost cost us the season." Since you're missing what others are replying to, it seems like you're splitting hairs and looking way too close at a situation when in reality, you're only seeing half of a discussion and not seeing context to the majority of what is being said.

Not blaming you. Its just an issue with message boards in general. Probably 2 dozen posts could have been avoided if everyone saw both sides.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait! What are we arguing about again? And who is on what side? I am getting completely turned around here.

Go back a couple of pages and click see ignored users or whatever it says in the bottom right of the page.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This is part of why putting a user on ignore creates more issues than it solves. You're missing a poster take the extreme side of "Booker isn't a leader, he's just a punk because he did X, which almost cost us the season." Since you're missing what others are replying to, it seems like you're splitting hairs and looking way too close at a situation when in reality, you're only seeing half of a discussion and not seeing context to the majority of what is being said.

Not blaming you. Its just an issue with message boards in general. Probably 2 dozen posts could have been avoided if everyone saw both sides.
But I’m only replying to posts that quote me.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"what if the suns won the coin flip"
and
"what if Paxson missed that 3"
in no way compares to
"what if the Booker v Jokic face-off got out of hand and led to a technical, ejection, or suspension?" -- after he was already ejected from a playoff game and has been getting technicals all year.

as if, risky behavior should only be criticized if something bad comes out of it. here's a comparison. why discourage a friend from driving drunk? just say "good luck. i hope someone doesn't get hurt or you get jailed or get your license suspended"

shame on me for debating trolls

How many times are you going to edit a post to change its content after its already been quoted and replied to, in some lame attempt to save face? Totally weak.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But I’m only replying to posts that quote me.

There are still 2 sides to this discussion and you're on one with someone you have on ignore, while most everyone else is on the other. That's causing replies to you and your stance getting mixed with replies and post that also address issues he's addressed. So while you may be getting quoted, you're also getting some things pointed towards you that are more directed at that side of the discussion rather than you personally.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
There are still 2 sides to this discussion and you're on one with someone you have on ignore, while most everyone else is on the other. That's causing replies to you and your stance getting mixed with replies and post that also address issues he's addressed. So while you may be getting quoted, you're also getting some things pointed towards you that are more directed at that side of the discussion rather than you personally.
Okay, we’ll that’s not really a proper way to argue with someone, attributing someone else’s comments. But okay, fine.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Lol just so you know, I respond with vigor to you out of respect. Im not sure if I told you this before. I am an engineer now, but there was a time many years ago when I was in law school. I had something of an existential crisis and dropped out. To this day, I wonder what my life would look like had I stayed. For me, debating with you is a bit like like getting a chance to play one on one with steph curry.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
First world problems.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol just so you know, I respond with vigor to you out of respect. Im not sure if I told you this before. I am an engineer now, but there was a time many years ago when I was in law school. I had something of an existential crisis and dropped out. To this day, I wonder what my life would look like had I stayed. For me, debating with you is a bit like like getting a chance to play one on one with steph curry.

Come on man... my brother’s ego is big enough! You don’t need to add to it!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
NOT A WORD!

Bring on the Clippers we got something for Boy George.

SUNS IN 4
I like when we play players I dislike. Makes the games more intense. I dislike George a good deal. And of course Morris. I want the suns to be reason they don’t advance.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
there's some real hard-heads here. macho, yet highly sensitive

my criticism was not a big deal, and neither was the altercation
but the truth is as simple as 1,2,3 :

1. yes, Booker gets too many needless T's
2. yes, T's, ejections, and/or suspensions can cost a team a game and thus a series and end their season (it's already happened to the Suns)
3. Monty and every other coach in the NBA will tell their players DO NOT do what Booker did. Period. And if you were coach, you would too, because it's the smart thing to do (for your team and teammates), and it's the right thing to do (for the sport, otherwise every game would be out of control.

there are hard foul violations every frigging game, numb-nuts!

WHAT YOU OR I WOULD OR SHOULD DO IN THE SCHOOLYARD IS IRRELEVANT

there's no crying in PRO BASKETBALL, play ball, stick the shot, reject theirs, steal the ball and beat them on the scoreboard! it's what they're being payed up to thousands of dollars per minute to do and the refs are being paid handsomely to fairly deal with the rest

like i said in the first post on this. stick that "stand up, got each other's back" crap.
if you're not man enough to say what you'd say as coach, you're not entitled to brag about honor

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow so much drama this morning. Book was never going to put himself in a situation to get suspended. He knew what he was doing. He was going to stick up for his team because psychologically not looking like a weak punk is part of the gamesmanship. Have zero issue with what Booker did.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose