Booker Out 4 weeks.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s also a failure to on the coach to play a guy coming off soft tissue issues 42 minutes in his first game back.

It was his 2nd game back, but regardless, no one should be playing 42 minutes in an inconsequential regular season game, especially guys who have been struggling with injuries.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was his 2nd game back, but regardless, no one should be playing 42 minutes in an inconsequential regular season game, especially guys who have been struggling with injuries.
Oh yeah… didn’t remember he returned in that Clipper laugher two days before.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And means he’s probably a good enough creator that he’s opening up opportunities for others.

The 20 ppg thing is just an arbitrary number some have thrown up here claiming Bridges has the potential to score regularly.

But the discussion has always really been about the fact that he won’t ever be that guy until he works hard enough on his handles and ability to create in the off-season to do so.

Which sucks because he’s not young at this point. These last couple years SHOULD be the years a player makes quantum leaps in terms of their skills, if they actually possess them.
I used to think he'd become a regular 20+ scorer but I've given up hope on that. But it's not because of his handles. Sure, it would be nice if he were a great ballhandler instead of just adequate but IMO he's too passive when he drives to expect more than 15 to 18 points most nights.

Last night against Memphis was a perfect example. I didn't count but he must have driven into the lane at least a half dozen times only to force the ball back outside. Paul can make that work but Mikal can't, the defense was ready for those passes and they all led to late clock rushed offense or a turnover. I can see being the team guy in that situation when he's surrounded by offensive talent but if he's doing it when no one is being doubled because he's playing with deep bench guys, that's a mindset IMO.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to think he'd become a 20+ scorer but I've given up hope on that. But it's not because of his handles. Sure, it would be nice if he were a great ballhandler instead of just adequate but IMO he's too passive when he drives to expect more than 15 to 18 points most nights.

Last night against Memphis was a perfect example. I didn't count but he must have driven into the lane at least a half dozen times only to force the ball back outside. Paul can make that work but Mikal can't, the defense was ready for those passes and they all led to late clock rushed offense or a turnover. I can see being the team guy in that situation when he's surrounded by offensive talent but if he's doing it when playing with deep bench guys, that's a mindset IMO.
See, I think he’s passive because he doesn’t have good handles and knows he can’t take guys off the dribble.

But I also think he just doesn’t have a killer instinct. He becomes so skittish at the end games, over and over again, making him mentally soft and a liability on offense towards the end of games and if someone just sticks to the corners.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes.

20 point scorer vs a 15 point scorer? Of course that will be game planned for.
Nobody is going to change their game plan because he scores 4.5 more points per game. Nobody. That is so arbitrary.

HOW he puts up his numbers is more important. If 90% of his points are off other people nobody is game planning for that. If he puts up THE SAME points he does now but was considered a shot creator? Then teams pay attention.

If we added another 20 PPG scorer to play PF besides his him? Now that people are planning for.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nobody is going to change their game plan because he scores 4.5 more points per game. Nobody. That is so arbitrary.

HOW he puts up his numbers is more important. If 90% of his points are off other people nobody is game planning for that. If he puts up THE SAME points he does now but was considered a shot creator. Then teams pay attention.

If we added another 20 PPG scorer to play PF besides his him? Now that people are planning for.
It’s okay to admit you just totally missed the point and move on. The above says nothing different than the point previously made in this thread and for weeks previous.

You continuing to act like everything is about 4.5 ppg just looks ridiculous.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s okay to admit you just totally missed the point and move on. The above says nothing different than the point previously made in this thread and for weeks previous.

You continuing to act like everything is about 4.5 ppg just looks ridiculous.
How so? I am saying all scorers do not score the same way. Not once did I put some number out there to determine if someone would game plan for him. Focusing on PPG is not the same point.

Oh a let me know when you stop responding to threads with your opinion that may or may not align with something someone has said already. LOL.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Honestly… if Monty was smart, this month would be all about force feeding Ayton and developing the guy who actually has the skills needed to be a legit 20 ppg scorer.

This sucks about Booker though. Makes me fear he goes the way of KJ even more considering Book has consistently had soft tissue issues so early in his career, whereas they didn’t actually start tearing their ugly head for KJ until right about this time in Booker’s career.
Agree about the Ayton thing. He’s the only player left capable of being a high volume scorer. Feed him. A LOT. Also time to give Washington a LOT of shots. Maybe shamet can grow into his short-term recent success. I’m throwing darts blindfolded.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree about the Ayton thing. He’s the only player left capable of being a high volume scorer. Feed him. A LOT. Also time to give Washington a LOT of shots. Maybe shamet can grow into his short-term recent success. I’m throwing darts blindfolded.

I'm all for giving Washington Jr. an opportunity to develop. He can be a prolific scorer, if not a somewhat streaky shooter. Washington has point guard skills but it's a secondary skill which should improve. Monty actually encourages him to play his current style, which is sort of a gunslinger mentality.

Washington has the knack for getting in the lane for layups but he can't finish a lot of them because he isn't quite quick enough or a high-flyer. If he learns to develop a floater or a pull-up shot like Chris Paul he could be almost unstoppable.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Cursed we are.

CamJ was coming along last year and injured. Same thing somewhat this year.

Shamet was hitting his stride. Injured. Payne too.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Well, if nothing else, this should give Bridges ample time to finally adjust his game and be that dependable 20 ppg scorer people keep assuring me he is absolutely is capable of being, despite ALL evidence to the contrary.
Maybe if you didn't simply ignore his good stretches and only remember his rough stretches it wouldn't seem as far fetched to you. :shrug:

And don't get me wrong, his recent stretch has made me a bit skeptical, but it doesn't change the fact that he he had some good stretches of scoring close to 20 PPG on very good efficiency. What he hasn't proven yet is if he can do that as a major focal point of the opposing defense. So far it's been pretty rough.

Last edited:

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Maybe if you didn't simply ignore his good stretches and only remember his rough stretches it wouldn't seem as far fetched to you. :shrug:

And don't get me wrong, his recent stretch has made me a bit skeptical, but it doesn't change the fact that he he had some good stretches of scoring close to 20 PPG on very good efficiency. What he hasn't proven yet is if he can do that as a major focal point of the opposing defense. So far it's been pretty rough.
This exactly, he doesn't have Booker out there taking his defender in a double team leaving him wide open anymore.
Mikal is a great player, on both sides but we are not gonna see him take over that role and shouldn't expect it if the past is any indication.

Unless we get some help an everyone steps up, this is our season even when healthy.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This exactly, he doesn't have Booker out there taking his defender in a double team leaving him wide open anymore.
Mikal is a great player, on both sides but we are not gonna see him take over that role and shouldn't expect it if the past is any indication.

Unless we get some help an everyone steps up, this is our season even when healthy.
You’re not a great player on offense if you can only be successful when you’re wide open. That’s the definition of a limited player on offense.

And his defense is far from great this year. That’s probably the most disturbing thing about the lack of progress for a former lottery pick who just got a nice fat contract, with the hope for improvement.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose