Booker misses out on All-Star team

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The reserve guards in the West are Westbrook, Lillard, Klay Thompson, and Jimmy Butler. I thought Booker was in the mix, but you can't complain about the choices they made.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The reserve guards in the West are Westbrook, Lillard, Klay Thompson, and Jimmy Butler. I thought Booker was in the mix, but you can't complain about the choices they made.

I don't like Westbrook, but he's a no-brainer all-star. Butler is pretty undeniable as well.

Lillard is putting up stats on a playoff contender and Thompson is a star on the best team in the league. I'd take Booker over both of them right now, but I have an admitted bias.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think Booker will be an all star next season. Even Greek Freak took four years to get selected. He needs to keep improving and eventually he'll be starting every year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's all about winning. The Suns record at 17-30 didn't cut it.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think Booker will be an all star next season. Even Greek Freak took four years to get selected. He needs to keep improving and eventually he'll be starting every year.

Jared Dudley agrees with you on multiple levels.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Booker has near identical stats to Butler, except Booker is averaging 4 points more per game. Not many people know about him yet since the Suns aren't relevant.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Jared Dudley agrees with you on multiple levels.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Dudley is a smart man. Kristaps is good, but definitely benefits from playing in a big market. Butler got in on reputation. Oladipo is having a great season but he's 3.5 years older than Booker. KAT and Booker are in a similar positions. They need to take the next step and then there will be no denying them spots.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Booker has near identical stats to Butler, except Booker is averaging 4 points more per game. Not many people know about him yet since the Suns aren't relevant.

There's a pretty big difference on defense too though.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
My bad, KAT did get in as a reserve. Horford and Love are totally undeserving but there will always be those guys on all-star reserves due to the system in place.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Booker is averaging 4 more points on 4 more shots. Butler is averaging more assists, rebounds, steals and shooting the highest % of his career.

and plays defense

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Booker is averaging 4 more points on 4 more shots. Butler is averaging more assists, rebounds, steals and shooting the highest % of his career.

and plays defense
Indeed, but Booker is literally right behind him in all those categories. Butler is definitely much better at defense, though...obviously.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Glad to see Lillard make it. He's one of my favorite players that isn't a Sun. He's been snubbed the last 2 years also.

Here's a link to view all of the selections plus some reasoning for them...
https://sports.yahoo.com/reports-kr...n-named-2018-nba-star-reserves-233930807.html

It lists snubs for the West as Paul George, Chris Paul, and Louis Williams. I'm sorry but Booker deserves to be mentioned ahead of Lou Williams, who is playing well but he's also on a team that is outside of the playoffs right now.

I think they should allow 13 players from each conference since teams can have 13 active players nowadays so why shouldn't the All-Star teams have the same amount? It's not like the game is any more than a glorified exhibition.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It lists snubs for the West as Paul George, Chris Paul, and Louis Williams. I'm sorry but Booker deserves to be mentioned ahead of Lou Williams, who is playing well but he's also on a team that is outside of the playoffs right now.

I would guess that Williams is mentioned as a snub because Doc Rivers tried to launch a campaign for him. I heard about it on the Clippers broadcast last night.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
If Book was on any team other than this trainwreck Suns he probably would have been an all star? He maybe the face of the Suns but it comes at a cost...right now.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Book was on any team other than this trainwreck Suns he probably would have been an all star? He maybe the face of the Suns but it comes at a cost...right now.

I think it depends on the team. If Booker continues to progress, he cannot be denied next season.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think this might be the last year the Warriors send 4 players to the ASG also. I know Curry and Durant are perennial All-Stars and Green is deserving but Klay will be dropped sooner than later as long as he stays with Golden State. He puts up good numbers but Booker's stats are better than his, so are Lou Williams, and other SG's in the West.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I know it is something that they factor in, but I don't think they should. When it comes to all pro selections it should have a lot to do with winning, but the all star game should be all about the most exciting and individually talented players. Booker is absolutely top 12 in the west in those regards.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are a lot of good players to choose from. Booker deserves to be there, but so do others.

Quagmire

The thread killa strikes again
Reaction score
Do these All-Star "snubs" keep the cost of Booker's extension down? Or, does he get a max deal regardless? He will be the only one who is not on a middle of the road (10-14MM/year) contract.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know it is something that they factor in, but I don't think they should. When it comes to all pro selections it should have a lot to do with winning, but the all star game should be all about the most exciting and individually talented players. Booker is absolutely top 12 in the west in those regards.

I mostly agree. It seems that most players and fans knew Booker was not going to be make the All-Star team because of the Suns record.

In some respects, All-Star selections are a popularity contest. I'm not sure Yao Ming was deserving of being an All-Star 8 times. There seems to be some type of pecking order in play.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Do these All-Star "snubs" keep the cost of Booker's extension down? Or, does he get a max deal regardless? He will be the only one who is not on a middle of the road (10-14MM/year) contract.

He gets a max extension regardless.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I thought there was something about this as well, but it turns out the rules were changed and All Star game appearances no longer affect the Designated Player qualifications.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q24

In order to qualify for the higher maximum salary, players must meet certain performance criteria1. At least one of the following must be true:

• The player was named to the All-NBA First, Second or Third team in the most recent season, or both of the two seasons that preceded the most recent season.
  • The player was named the Defensive Player of the Year in the most recent season, or both of the two seasons that preceded the most recent season.
  • The player was named the NBA Most Valuable Player in any of the three most recent seasons.
1 In 2017 only, the previous criteria applied for players finishing their fourth season to earn the 30% maximum: A) The player was named to the All-NBA First, Second or Third team at least twice; B) The player was voted as a starter in the All-Star game at least twice; OR C) The player was named the NBA Most Valuable Player at least once.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson