Bohemian Rhapsody (Freddie Mercury biopic)

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Saw it over the weekend... Thought it was FANTASTIC! The music alone was so great... took me right back to high school. But man, Malek 100% nailed it! It left me wanting more for sure... but, how long can a movie be... Overall, my wife and thought it was extremely compelling and provided a solid picture of the band, and especially Freddie...who was truly a musical savant! His talents, his creativity and his "go for it" personality were truly all-world. Lord only knows what he would've accomplished had he not succumbed to his demons...

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I also thought this was fantastic. The music was spectacular of course, and Rami Malek really was Freddie.

I really liked the vibe of the group being a family. They skirted the cliche for most of the movie of the lead leaving the group, but they handled it differently here.

Three things about casting:
1) They nailed Brian May. Talk about a spitting image.

2) Hard to believe John was Tim from Jurassic Park.

3) Mike Myers was pretty good in his small role and I loved the little nod when Wayne from Wayne’s World said Bohemian Rhapsody wasn’t “worthy.”

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bloody fantastic movie! Cheers and tears. Really liked how they showed Queen’s brilliance as a band with everyone contributing.

The Live Aid show still gives me chills. Greatest set ever

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Really liked this movie. Took my 16 year old daughter. She had heard most of the songs before but didn't know they were all done by Queen. Only downer for me came from the Neolithic looking couple sitting next to me. During the scene at the truck stop the wife blurted out, "Oh, here we go!" in a really demeaning tone. Then they whispered and moaned through many of the remaining scenes.

Did they not know?

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
Rami did a great job transforming himself into Freddie Mercury but the singing duties were performed by Canadian rock singer Marc Martel who loaned his voice for the making of the movie project. He's also the singer in The Queen Extravaganza tribute group & Ultimate Queen Celebration.
Check him out singing Bohemian Rhapsody.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
Saw this today. Highly entertaining and extremely well performed. Stylistically uneven but I know they went through some directorial changes. Rami Malek should certainly be praised at awards time.
With the long history of the musicians involved, I'm not surprised that they didn't have time to explore all the storylines.

How they didn't run the actual Queen video for "These Are the Days of Our Lives" during the end credit roll is beyond me though.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Malek was very good, but it just felt really surface-y... and just kinda bland. especially for a movie about freaking Queen! And making the gay manager a mustache twirling source of all evil felt pretty heavy handed. that said, overall it was fun fluff, that ended with a great 20 minutes set-piece. easily the highlight of the movie.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Lord only knows what he would've accomplished had he not succumbed to his demons...

It's fascinating to think what the future music would have sounded like from the greatest bands who got prematurely derailed due to early deaths. We'll never know what future albums from the likes of Queen, Zeppelin, and Hendrix would have been like or how their careers would have played out.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lord only knows what he would've accomplished had he not succumbed to his demons...

there was nothing 'Demonic" about his death - except maybe the cheering by the right as AIDS ravished the gay community - you know, the crap that Reagan and Bush laughed about, and did zero to help stop it.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there was nothing 'Demonic" about his death - except maybe the cheering by the right as AIDS ravished the gay community - you know, the crap that Reagan and Bush laughed about, and did zero to help stop it.

I think 82 was just referencing his promiscuity.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think 82 was just referencing his promiscuity.

Again, what does that have to do with demons? Every Rock singer is a ****. No one refers to that as demons when Mick Jagger, etc sleeps with 5 girls a night.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Again, what does that have to do with demons? Every Rock singer is a ****. No one refers to that as demons when Mick Jagger, etc sleeps with 5 girls a night.

Jon... I can't speak for everyone. But I believe we all have our demons. Darksides that, maybe we would prefer others did not know about... Behaviors that run counter to our own physical or mental health....including Mick Jagger. ;)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Was just saying what I thought 82 meant. Freddie made choices which shortened his life. It is quite normal to question choices he made when discussing how he left us too early. He was famous for his lavish parties, multiple partners, one-night stands, etc.

Had a similar fate happened to Mick Jagger or Keith Richards, I see no difference in someone saying the same for one of them. Most people consider it a miracle that rock legends like Mick and Keith are still with us.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
But that is not what killed him

His drug use and all night partying seemed - to me, to place him in risky situations with risky characters. People who may not have been practicing the safest forms of behavior. Would he have contracted AIDS had he not been prone to drugs, all nighters and the people that seemed to be attracted to that lifestyle? Who knows...
But yes, technically speaking, he died from AIDS, not from drugs/alcohol...

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His drug use and all night partying seemed - to me, to place him in risky situations with risky characters. People who may not have been practicing the safest forms of behavior. Would he have contracted AIDS had he not been prone to drugs, all nighters and the people that seemed to be attracted to that lifestyle? Who knows...
But yes, technically speaking, he died from AIDS, not from drugs/alcohol...

One doesn't have to be in what most would consider risky situations to contract HIV. My friend John didn't do drugs, sleep around, and was in what he thought was a safe relationship. Turned out he wasn't.

If Mercury had died of an OD, then I could see your statement. But he didn't.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
One doesn't have to be in what most would consider risky situations to contract HIV. My friend John didn't do drugs, sleep around, and was in what he thought was a safe relationship. Turned out he wasn't.

If Mercury had died of an OD, then I could see your statement. But he didn't.

Not disagreeing with you...

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally got to see this via On Demand.

Wow it was great. Even my 14 year old liked it and she thinks my music is terrible. She was like "this band sang all of those songs!"

Plus I learned a lot about Queen that I had never knew before.

Fantastic movie!

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Finally got to see this via On Demand.

Wow it was great. Even my 14 year old liked it and she thinks my music is terrible. She was like "this band sang all of those songs!"

Plus I learned a lot about Queen that I had never knew before.

Fantastic movie!
Yeah, this was a fun ride. I too learned a lot about Queen that I didn't know. Loved the Mike Myers cameo.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose