Blade Runner 2049

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Saw this last night, enjoyed it for the most part. As everyone has said the visuales held my interest throughout. I've watched the original about 50 times over the years and this one doesn't have that appeal, imo. Gosling was just a little too 'clean cut' for me, not a hair out of place, perfect stubble beard, not a spec of dirt on his clothes, etc.... Yeah, he did have a bandage on his nose for all of 2 min. I would have preferred someone who had more of an edge to his face given the line of work he was in. His persona carried little weight for me.

3.2 stars out of 4
Tom Hardy may have been a better casting choice.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I didn't feel it did either. I was just expecting more action.
I'm curious about WHY you thought there would be more action, considering there wasn't a precedent for it since the original didn't have that much action itself.

I haven't made up my mind yet, but I think I might have enjoyed this movie better than the original. I might attribute that to Ridley Scott, who has become a mediocre filmmaker in his old age and his flaws start to show up more in his earlier work.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm curious about WHY you thought there would be more action, considering there wasn't a precedent for it since the original didn't have that much action itself.

I haven't made up my mind yet, but I think I might have enjoyed this movie better than the original. I might attribute that to Ridley Scott, who has become a mediocre filmmaker in his old age and his flaws start to show up more in his earlier work.

DEFINITELY deserves the :rolleyes:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went to see this over the weekend. I love science fiction but have always had mixed feelings about the original. However, I really liked this movie. I know it's probably blasphemy but I enjoyed this more than the original. It has some pacing problems (like the original) and Jared Leto's character was underutilized. However, this movie isn't a Star Wars or an Aliens. It's more of a narrative.

I will be adding this to my 4K collection when it hits home video.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Went to see this over the weekend. I love science fiction but have always had mixed feelings about the original. However, I really liked this movie. I know it's probably blasphemy but I enjoyed this more than the original. It has some pacing problems (like the original) and Jared Leto's character was underutilized. However, this movie isn't a Star Wars or an Aliens. It's more of a narrative.

I will be adding this to my 4K collection when it hits home video.

That's not probably blasphemy; it is for certain blasphemy ;)

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not probably blasphemy; it is for certain blasphemy ;)

My problem with the original was at times it was too preachy for the sake of being preachy. I thought the story itself was ahead of it's time talking about the ethics of AI. Way before it's time and why it's a classic. For some reason I just always had a hard time watching the original.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My problem with the original was at times it was too preachy for the sake of being preachy. I thought the story itself was ahead of it's time talking about the ethics of AI. Way before it's time and why it's a classic. For some reason I just always had a hard time watching the original.

my problem with the original is it always puts me to sleep. Great visuals and substitute for ambien, but that's about it for me.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
the original was very philosophical... does this one have the same tilt?

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No, I don't think it does. Like Covert said the first was was way ahead of its time dealing with the ethics of AI/replicants.

There aren't those types of questions in this one. But, there have been several short films leading up to this that bridge from original and help set the table for this movie.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think this one still has a very narrative driven tone IMO. It’s the polar opposite of Star Wars type science fiction.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz Is it over yet? Drink some caffeine before seeing this. Lots. I've only ever fallen asleep for a movie once and this was close.

It wasn't bad, but geez if you thought the first one had a slow pace this one is brutally slow. It's 2:45 and could have easily been an hour less.

The music is in line with the original, but too loud in some spots; maybe it was the theater... Some amazing visuals, especially when the hologram integrates in the one scene. Very cool.

I'd be very surprised if this makes its production budget domestically.

Yesss, sooo boring. I made it through by breaking it up into several smaller chunks. I would have dozed off had I seen it in a theater. The appeal of these films is lost on me.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesss, sooo boring. I made it through by breaking it up into several smaller chunks. I would have dozed off had I seen it in a theater. The appeal of these films is lost on me.

I really liked the movie as well as the original.

What's not to like about Ana de Armas?

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I really liked the movie as well as the original.

What's not to like about Ana de Armas?
Absolutely no complaints with her!

This kinda reminds me of my experience with Dune. I watched it in 2007 and I don't remember a single thing about it. However, I'll probably suffer through it again before I watch the 2020 version.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely no complaints with her!

This kinda reminds me of my experience with Dune. I watched it in 2007 and I don't remember a single thing about it. However, I'll probably suffer through it again before I watch the 2020 version.

I liked the take on new technology in the movie. It made me think what if?

I would have gladly taken a seat and watched that performance by Elvis Presley on hologram.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave