MCU: Black Widow

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You act like they were forced to go that way. They could have made it more interesting. Since when has Marvel been 100% faithful to ANY of their superhero origins? Captain America and that’s about it.

You wanna keep arguing over nothing? Fine, but it’s going to be one sided because I am done with you.
Well, Thor’s origin story is spot on. So was iron man’s for the most part. So that’s the big three. And the fantastic four. And the X-men. And daredevil. And iron fist. Well almost all of them. I can’t really recall any where they didn’t?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
A majority of the movie going public aren’t comic fans. I have no problem saying I don’t read comic books. Doesn’t make this movie any more or less original.

It’s a lower tiered Marvel movie. Some good stuff but overall it’s a story that isn’t original. Do you think that is not true? It is what it is.
Actually it IS a story that was original when written. Every ELSE is derivative. The fact that you didn’t happen to know that doesn’t change that fact. I think the word you’re seeking is “unique” not “original.”

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think another issue I had with this movie is it felt so dated. A story that takes place right after Civil War just played like old news and SUPER low stakes. There wasn’t some kind of paradigm shift, nor did the movie make you look at anything else that happened after in a new light. In fact, if anything, it made some things in Infinity War/Endgame seem strange in retrospect. Like... where was Yelena... or ALL of the Widows when everything was going down? They wouldn’t have joined in the fight against Thanos? either time?

Marvel just blew it waiting to make a Widow movie for too long.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
“It being used in the comics is irrelevant?” It’s literally who black widow is. If you don’t like her back story don’t see the movie. It’s not like it’s difficult to learn her backstory before seeing the flick. And I get it’s been used to death but what do you want the movie writers to do here, exactly? Change her entire back story? That would be like making Tony stark come up with his armor because it was a hobby. Or making Thor not asgardian. Weird take, chap.
I honestly don't give a crap what you think of my "take" Ouchie. If you can't respect opinions, then stay out of the debate. Both you and carrnutt are attacking me for no reason other than I'm not a comic book fanboy.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I honestly don't give a crap what you think of my "take" Ouchie. If you can't respect opinions, then stay out of the debate. Both you and carrnutt are attacking me for no reason other than I'm not a comic book fanboy.
Always the victim. Anytime someone disagrees with you it’s an attack? Sheesh man, We aren’t attacking you. The worst thing i said was “weird take chap.” We are explaining why your argument isn’t exactly accurate. You’re entitled to your opinion. We just think it’s a bad one for reasons we explained in a reasonable and pretty straightforward factual manner.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Always the victim. Anytime someone disagrees with you it’s an attack? Sheesh man, We aren’t attacking you. The worst thing i said was “weird take chap.” We are explaining why your argument isn’t exactly accurate. You’re entitled to your opinion. We just think it’s a bad one for reasons we explained in a reasonable and pretty straightforward factual manner.
That’s crap. I had an opinion. That this movie has the same general plot as several other movies. How is that not accurate?

Then I’m told I CANT think that because it happens to be the origin story from the comics. I didn’t dispute that, yet my argument is still valid. How is that being respectful toward me?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That’s crap. I had an opinion. That this movie has the same general plot as several other movies. How is that not accurate?

Then I’m told I CANT think that because it happens to be the origin story from the comics. I didn’t dispute that, yet my argument is still valid. How is that being respectful toward me?
No one told you “can’t think that.” I honestly feel like you have a persecution complex, chap. And it legitimately makes me sad.

you stated they shouldn’t have made the movie the way they did bc it was “unoriginal.” But it was original - just without your knowledge bc you’re unfamiliar with the comic. And her origin story makes her who she is. If want to say it’s not unique, sure it’s no longer unique. But when it was first created it was 100% original.

and even though you’re right that many noncomicbook viewers may not know her origin story, this is a marvel product. They make marvel comic book movies. They are based on the comic books bc the comic books were successful. If they didn’t want those stories they could just make up superheroes and make up original origin stories. They don’t because people want to see the marvel stories. It’s why Tony stark is still a billionaire weapons manufacture who built the armor after being captured. It’s why Thor is a Norse god who fights with his brother. It’s why captain America was a WWII super soldier that was frozen for decades. And why black widow was a Russian spy. All marvel stories.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
No one told you “can’t think that.” I honestly feel like you have a persecution complex, chap. And it legitimately makes me sad.

you stated they shouldn’t have made the movie the way they did bc it was “unoriginal.” But it was original - just without your knowledge bc you’re unfamiliar with the comic. And her origin story makes her who she is. If want to say it’s not unique, sure it’s no longer unique. But when it was first created it was 100% original.

and even though you’re right that many noncomicbook viewers may not know her origin story, this is a marvel product. They make marvel comic book movies. They are based on the comic books bc the comic books were successful. If they didn’t want those stories they could just make up superheroes and make up original origin stories. They don’t because people want to see the marvel stories. It’s why Tony stark is still a billionaire weapons manufacture who built the armor after being captured. It’s why Thor is a Norse god who fights with his brother. It’s why captain America was a WWII super soldier that was frozen for decades. And why black widow was a Russian spy. All marvel stories.
Save your pity for someone who wants it. I have a persecution complex? Give me a break.

All I said is the movie is unoriginal. Regardless of its origins, that doesn’t change that fact. I get you want to see her origins, and that’s fine. But it is still cliched. That’s not Marvels fault in the end. But it is true foe this movie in 2021.

Honestly I don’t care what you think either way. I think it would have been a more interesting movie if they would have put more originality in it. Doesn’t mean I think they should CHANGE her origin story.

I have my opinion based on the merits of the movie. You didn’t like it and proceeded to rip me a new one for having said opinion. Who exactly has the complex?

I don’t fault Marvel for having a backstory for Black Widow. The move wasn’t great, and I said why I think that. “But it’s like that in the comics!” isn’t enough of a reason to change my mind.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Save your pity for someone who wants it. I have a persecution complex? Give me a break.

All I said is the movie is unoriginal. Regardless of its origins, that doesn’t change that fact. I get you want to see her origins, and that’s fine. But it is still cliched. That’s not Marvels fault in the end. But it is true foe this movie in 2021.

Honestly I don’t care what you think either way. I think it would have been a more interesting movie if they would have put more originality in it. Doesn’t mean I think they should CHANGE her origin story.

I have my opinion based on the merits of the movie. You didn’t like it and proceeded to rip me a new one for having said opinion. Who exactly has the complex?

I don’t fault Marvel for having a backstory for Black Widow. The move wasn’t great, and I said why I think that. “But it’s like that in the comics!” isn’t enough of a reason to change my mind.
Please point out where I “ripped you a new one for having [an] opinion.” I’ll wait.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

I don't think her backstory hurt the movie as much as the bad writing by committee and directing by committee that we got. To me the backstory was a bit more minor since it wasn't an origin movie and a lot of it had been given out in previous movies.

But I agree on them needing to give more originality in it. What I would have liked to have seen for the story is them to tell the Budapest story. Have the movie be about her doing that mission and what went down between her and Hawkeye there. They've alluded to it so many times in other movies. They couldn't put Hawkeye in the movie though so it didn't happen.