Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Black Widow​

Release Date: July 9, 2021
Studio: Walt Disney Pictures, Marvel Studios
Director: Cate Shortland
MPAA Rating: PG-13 for intense sequences of violence/action, some language and thematic material
Screenwriters: Jac Schaeffer, Eric Pearson, Ned Benson
Genre: Action

Starring: Scarlett Johansson, Rachel Weisz, David Harbour, Ray Winstone

Plot Summary: A film about Natasha Romanoff in her quests between the films Civil War and Infinity War.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
First time back in a movie theater since, I think, Knives Out. I really enjoyed this, horrible sound/not being able to hear half the dialogue notwithstanding. Some great moments in there, and...no spoilers, but someone steals the show.

Reaction score
First time back in a movie theater since, I think, Knives Out. I really enjoyed this, horrible sound/not being able to hear half the dialogue notwithstanding. Some great moments in there, and...no spoilers, but someone steals the show.

I have a guess at who that is. David Harbour?

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but still not great. After seeing the series and this movie, I fear it's all downhill after Endgame.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh. This movie felt too little, too late, especially for an original Avenger.

Pugh was good though.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Meh. This movie felt too little, too late, especially for an original Avenger.

Pugh was good though.

I agree. This movie should have really come out after Civil War. Marvel did ScarJo wrong with not giving her a standalone movie back then.

Overall I found the movie to be subpar. I have ranked as one of the bottom tier Marvel movies. The story and writing in it wasn't good. It really felt like it was written by committee. The PQ and AQ was really good though for a streaming title, especially from Disney. That's been a big problem for the simultaneous releases. The audio design with the helicopter about half way in was really good too. It might be a new demo scene for surrounds and heights.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I really thought they would dive more into her past, before avengers. I know they did a few flash backs during some avenger movies she was in, but I thought there would be more shown in this one. It wasn't bad, but felt it did miss alot on things.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I liked David Harbour a lot in it, but it wasn't anything special. Especially recently, it's a plot we've seen before. The whole "Russia brainwashing women to be assassins" thing has been played out way too much. It's disappointing that they brought in such a cliche in a Marvel film. Maybe trying too much to be Captain America 2?

I did like the main running joke throughout though.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
I liked David Harbour a lot in it, but it wasn't anything special. Especially recently, it's a plot we've seen before. The whole "Russia brainwashing women to be assassins" thing has been played out way too much. It's disappointing that they brought in such a cliche in a Marvel film. Maybe trying too much to be Captain America 2?

I did like the main running joke throughout though.

Huh?

Natasha's background with the Russian Red Room has been around since the 60's, when she first showed up in the comics.

The trope borrowed from her, not the other way around.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Huh?

Natasha's background with the Russian Red Room has been around since the 60's, when she first showed up in the comics.

The trope borrowed from her, not the other way around.
Ok. So what? My point still stands. It’s a trope that has been overused in the past 10 years.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
Ok. So what? My point still stands. It’s a trope that has been overused in the past 10 years.

They lose with you and they win with everyone else that knows of her or has at least googled her in the past decade.

I think they'll take that one.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
Thanks for putting me in my place. Sheesh.

My point being: The trope that her writers practically invented has been overused in movies/TV lately. OK.

Had they thought about that in the way you do, they then alienate/p i s s off people who know who she is from the comics, especially after they've seemingly disrespected her character with this too-late of a movie.

I think they'd rather see you unhappy than everyone else.

It's not her fault that her origins have been ripped off so many times.

So has Superman's lately (alien stranger with powers). No one's changing his backstory.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
My point being: The trope that her writers practically invented has been overused in movies/TV lately. OK.

Had they thought about that in the way you do, they then alienate/p i s s off people who know who she is from the comics, especially after they've seemingly disrespected her character with this too-late of a movie.

I think they'd rather see you unhappy than everyone else.

It's not her fault that her origins have been ripped off so many times.

So has Superman's lately (alien stranger with powers). No one's changing his backstory.
I'm not going to argue with you about this. The trope has been overused. It being used in the comics is irrelevant. Doesn't make it a good movie.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
Um, that's what my whole post was about. It's not a good movie BECAUSE it wasn't original. That's just a fact.

*sigh*

It's not a good movie because it isn't a good movie.

Again, you can't blame the writers that BW's origin story has been ripped off so many times. The writers can't abandon her origins because others have ripped it off.

There are so many Superman analogs all across media nowadays that are very heralded. Them ripping off something from something else had nothing to do with the movie being good or bad.

As a matter of fact, in comic book forums, fans are upset that they didn't explore her backstory more, considering how often they've alluded to it in past movies and just how important it is to her as a character.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
*sigh*

It's not a good movie because it isn't a good movie.

Again, you can't blame the writers that BW's origin story has been ripped off so many times. The writers can't abandon her origins because others have ripped it off.

There are so many Superman analogs all across media nowadays that are very heralded. Them ripping off something from something else had nothing to do with the movie being good or bad.

As a matter of fact, in comic book forums, fans are upset that they didn't explore her backstory more, considering how often they've alluded to it in past movies and just how important it is to her as a character.
You act like they were forced to go that way. They could have made it more interesting. Since when has Marvel been 100% faithful to ANY of their superhero origins? Captain America and that’s about it.

You wanna keep arguing over nothing? Fine, but it’s going to be one sided because I am done with you.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
You act like they were forced to go that way. They could have made it more interesting. Since when has Marvel been 100% faithful to ANY of their superhero origins? Captain America and that’s about it.

You wanna keep arguing over nothing? Fine, but it’s going to be one sided because I am done with you.

You're obviously not a comic book fan.

Natasha and the Red Room is like Superman and Krypton or Batman and his dead parents.

No comments about the "unoriginal" Superman analogs that are well regarded?

I mean, I'm not arguing with anyone. I'm presenting arguments, and you keep sticking to the same schtick about "originality." That's not an argument.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You're obviously not a comic book fan.

Natasha and the Red Room is like Superman and Krypton or Batman and his dead parents.

No comments about the "unoriginal" Superman analogs that are well regarded?

I mean, I'm not arguing with anyone. I'm presenting arguments, and you keep sticking to the same schtick about "originality." That's not an argument.
A majority of the movie going public aren’t comic fans. I have no problem saying I don’t read comic books. Doesn’t make this movie any more or less original.

It’s a lower tiered Marvel movie. Some good stuff but overall it’s a story that isn’t original. Do you think that is not true? It is what it is.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm not going to argue with you about this. The trope has been overused. It being used in the comics is irrelevant. Doesn't make it a good movie.
“It being used in the comics is irrelevant?” It’s literally who black widow is. If you don’t like her back story don’t see the movie. It’s not like it’s difficult to learn her backstory before seeing the flick. And I get it’s been used to death but what do you want the movie writers to do here, exactly? Change her entire back story? That would be like making Tony stark come up with his armor because it was a hobby. Or making Thor not asgardian. Weird take, chap.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose