Black Monday firings

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So the Jets start things off by firing coach Rex Ryan and general manager John Idzik.

I think Mike Smith is next.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Although it happened yesterday, Harbough is also officially gone... And there is a really good chance Coughlin will be sent packing as well...

OP
OP
P

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Although it happened yesterday, Harbough is also officially gone... And there is a really good chance Coughlin will be sent packing as well...
Maybe Coughlin will decide to retire after some "encouragement".

Last edited:

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mike Smith was the most pathetic coach in the league since being hired IMO. I was shocked he lasted this long. What a joke.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
First the GM, now Trestman —> RT @MikeSilver: I'm told Bears coach Marc Trestman will also be fired. @nflnetwork

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Harbaugh being on his way to Michigan will give pause to Giants and Dolphins.

OP
OP
P

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mike Smith was the most pathetic coach in the league since being hired IMO. I was shocked he lasted this long. What a joke.
He helped turn around the Falcons and they had a lot of success under him until the past two years. :shrug:

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
IF we lose Todd Bowles...(UGH!)

what are everyone's thoughts on Rex Ryan being our DC/Asst. head coach? (assuming, of course, he's willing)

MARK IN SC :)

PROUD OF MY CARDINALS AND THEIR COMPETE-LEVEL THIS YEAR!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Hm... He led them to the playoffs four of the last seven years, helped turn the team around from a disastrous Mike Vick/Bobby Petrino period, and they lost two of their top 10 players for the entire season in Sam Baker and Sean Weatherspoon.

Smith made some curious clock and game management decisions in that time, but it's going to be hard for them to identify a better coach.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Just say NO...........

Rex is the wrong Ryan

Yes, Rob Ryan did an amazing job with the Saints defense this year. :rolleyes:

Rex is going to get a head coaching job somewhere, or he'll go to a comfy television job. He's not going to play second banana to Bruce Arians for the same reason that Arians didn't want another alpha dog in his pack when he chose Bowles over Horton two years ago.

There's probably too much baggage between the Franchise and the Ryan family for Rex to accept a demotion and come back here. That's fine. There are a lot of quality assistants out there.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Smith's coaching record since he was hired in 2008:

11-5
9-7
13-3
10-6
13-3
4-12
6-10

2 bad seasons in 7. I'll take that any time. His playoff record is probably what got him fired. 1-4.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hm... He led them to the playoffs four of the last seven years, helped turn the team around from a disastrous Mike Vick/Bobby Petrino period, and they lost two of their top 10 players for the entire season in Sam Baker and Sean Weatherspoon.

Smith made some curious clock and game management decisions in that time, but it's going to be hard for them to identify a better coach.

Don't forget the injuries they had last year.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Smith's coaching record since he was hired in 2008:

11-5
9-7
13-3
10-6
13-3
4-12
6-10

2 bad seasons in 7. I'll take that any time. His playoff record is probably what got him fired. 1-4.
plus keeping Nolan as his DC didn't help his cause.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I just have a hard time believing he led them to much of anything. I see a supremely talented roster assimilated by a good GM, led by a perennially strong staff that has horrifically underperformed the last two years and was consistently embarrassed in the playoffs, when well-coached teams separate themselves. Watching Smith on Hard Knocks was painfully awkward. I've never seen a high school coach who looked more oblivious and along for the ride. Color me extremely unimpressed.

Last edited:

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd take Nolan over Davis every day of the week and twice on Sunday. They aren't in the same league IMO..

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'd take Nolan over Davis every day of the week and twice on Sunday over Davis. They aren't in the same league IMO..

I like Mike Nolan. He's a 3-4 guy who played with a 4-3 in Atlanta because that's what they had for personnel. I'd love to bring him in to replace Bowles.

I'm a huge Mike Nolan fan.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I just have a hard time believing he led them to much of anything. I see a supremely talented roster assimilated by a good GM, led by a perennially strong staff that has horrifically underperformed the last two years and was consistently embarrassed in the playoffs, when well-coached teams separate themselves. Watching Smith on Hard Knocks was painfully awkward. I've never seen a high school coach who looked more oblivious and along for the ride. Color me extremely unimpressed.

Falcons have little talent on defense and the offensive line. That's on the GM. Smith only had so much to work with. If Atlanta is to get better, they have to have better than marginal talent in the aforementioned areas.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
I was reading the Tennessee newspapers this morning, looking for insight on whether Whiz. Looks like he will.

I read this though, and though, Wow, where have I heard that before..

"Likewise, Whisenhunt needs to become more flexible. Moving forward, he must adapt his offensive scheme to his players' abilities.

"You stick with what you believe in," Whisenhunt said. "That's one of the things that I have learned from some of the good coaches I have been around. You've got a foundation for what you believe and how you do it and you stick with that. …

"You've got to believe in what you're doing and that's why you do it. We have had success with it."

Personally, I'm getting a little tired of hearing how this system has been successful in the past. Yes, Whisenhunt took the second of his six Arizona Cardinals teams to the Super Bowl but his combined record in his last four seasons as head coach – 2010-12 in Arizona and 2014 with the Titans – is 20-44.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose